Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's back! Group 2 - The NSC Gadget World Cup

Who is to make the next round?

• Garage door opener

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Chapman's mum's fridge (crushed ice and chilled filter water dispenser all in one)

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Sky +

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Sony integrated remote commander

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Garage door opener
Gadget1.gif
Wowsers! A tricky customer this one, one of my all time favourite gadget classics.
pic_john_mccririck.jpg
One of the outsiders in a weak group, should appeal to the crustys in the Albion community of which there are many. Worth an each-way punt at a price of 9/4

Chapman's mum's fridge (crushed ice and chilled filter water dispenser all in one)
Gadget1.gif
Jeepers Penny - next time I want a drink I'll be sure to ask you to use this little beauty!
pic_john_mccririck.jpg
Is this the finest fridge in the world. The bookies seem to think so, making this the 6/4 join favourite to take the group. Could also be a dark horse for the big prize.

Sky +
Gadget1.gif
Think of all that frozen live soccer action I won't have miss. Great!
pic_john_mccririck.jpg
Despite it's presence on a football board, the fridge might pip this one to the top of the group. Should join the fridge in the later rounds though. 6/4

Sony integrated remote commander
Gadget1.gif
Goodbye 8 remote controls. Cripes!
pic_john_mccririck.jpg
Wozza's idea. Utter gash. No chance. 7/1

Last edited:

Wozza

Custom title
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Tsk! It's Sony's idea, not mine.

photo01.jpg

Sony RM-AV3000 & RM-AV3100 Features:

Controls up to 18 devices: The RM-AV3000 and RM-AV3100 feature direct hard button access to TV, STB (Set Top Box), VCR, DVD, CD and AMP devices, with additional on-screen access to MD, Tape, Cable Box, DVR, LD (RM-AV3000 only), DAT and Lighting. Devices can be custom labelled with an 8-character name.

Supports 53 commands per device: 13 configurable hard buttons are provided per device, along with 28 LCD squares and 3 pages of 4 LCD buttons featuring customizable text labels. Hard keys include volume, channel and 7 menu access buttons, while LCD-based keys cover television PIP, DVR transport functions, receiver inputs and much more.

Infrared code learning: These remotes can learn nearly 1000 infrared codes from your existing remote controls. Codes can be up to 500kHz in frequency and 300 bits in length, and placed on any key.

Preprogrammed codes: The RM-AV3000 and RM-AV3100 include a database with more than 500 non-Sony preprogrammed code sets for all of the remote’s devices. Device types include cable boxes (digital and analog), CD players, DAT decks, DSS receivers, DVD players, DVRs, LD players, lighting, MD decks, mini systems, receivers, tape decks, televisions, TV/VCR combos and VCRs. A code search feature allows for easy code number discovery.

15 System Control macros: With 3 direct-access System Control macro hard buttons and a further 12 LCD macros – each with up to 32 commands – these remotes are more than capable of automating almost any task. On the RM-AV3100, Sony-specific discrete power codes may be accessed during macro recording.

18 Component Select macros: Similar to System Control macros, Component Select macros will run each time a device is selected (with 0, 1 and 2 second hold time options). These can also contain up to 32 steps and may reference System Control macros. On the RM-AV3100, Component and System macros may reference key macros, extending their length up to a theoretical 128 steps.

12 Timer macros: These macros can be configured to run at a specific time on any day (or days) of the week and, once again, can hold up to 32 steps. Timer macros may also reference System Control and Component Select macros.

Adjustable macro delays: All macros can be customized with an inter-command delay time of 100 through 900 milliseconds, set in 50 millisecond increments.

Favorite channel macros (RM-AV3000 only): LCD Label buttons from TV, STB and Cable devices can be configured with a 4-step favorite channel macro if desired.

Large LCD touchscreen: The remote’s large LCD display supports contrast level adjustment and has an auto-off time of 10 through 30 minutes.

Automatic backlight: The RM-AV3000 includes a bright blue LCD backlight that can automatically activate on any button press. Also available are two brightness levels and an auto-off time adjustable from 1 to 60 seconds. The RM-AV3100 adds 10 brightness levels and a special brightness ramping feature.

Customizable LCD labels: Fixed LCD squares can display one of up to four preset labels, while the four lower LCD Label buttons can each contain an 8-character customized label with uppercase and lowercase letters, number and icons. Up to 258 of these editable buttons are possible.

Hide buttons from view: Unused LCD squares can be hidden during normal operation.

Volume punchthrough: Allows all devices to control either the television or amplifier’s volume controls.

Copy devices: Entire devices can be copied to a new position if you would like them rearranged.

Copy one remote to another: Individual devices or the entire remote can be duplicated wirelessly from one RM-AV3000 or RM-AV3100 to another.

Audible feedback: The “beep” sound on key presses can be enabled or disabled.

Lock the remote: two separate locks prevent changes to the remote’s configuration or use of the remote until a specific key combination is entered.

Memory backup: Maintains settings even when batteries are removed.

Strong IR broadcasting: Four IR emitters ensure a strong and wide infrared beam.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
YAY FOR SIMSTER :clap2: :clap2:

Chapmans fridge all the way!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The fridge is indeed formidable....but I'm leaning towards Sky +. OK, crushed ice from a dispenser in a fridge is WELL COOL, but its not much use when I want to record the footy, or pause and slow-mo a pervy bit on Mile High. And I can always get some ice from the freezer, its not difficult.

Nope, I think Sky + edges this for me. I'm trying to persuade the missus that our lives are basically worthless and without meaning until we get Sky + installed...I'm wearing her down, and I'll have it by Christmas.

Sky + - The Couch Potato's Mecca.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I see you got it on the right thread this time Easy. :lolol:

Well, I've got none of the four so...
eenie meenie miney mo

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Easy 10 said:
The fridge is indeed formidable....but I'm leaning towards Sky +. OK, crushed ice from a dispenser in a fridge is WELL COOL, but its not much use when I want to record the footy, or pause and slow-mo a pervy bit on Mile High. And I can always get some ice from the freezer, its not difficult.

Nope, I think Sky + edges this for me. I'm trying to persuade the missus that our lives are basically worthless and without meaning until we get Sky + installed...I'm wearing her down, and I'll have it by Christmas.

Sky + - The Couch Potato's Mecca.

Sky + (like the PS2) should *NOT* be regarded as a "Gadget" as such, Gadgets are more meaningless but bloody useful and mroe rare than the big well known stuff like VCRs/Games Consoles etc.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
CrabtreeBHA said:
Sky + (like the PS2) should *NOT* be regarded as a "Gadget" as such, Gadgets are more meaningless but bloody useful and mroe rare than the big well known stuff like VCRs/Games Consoles etc.
If it's in the NSC Gadget World Cup, it's a gadget.

Harsh, but fair.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I know, just venting my opinion on the matter and trying to swing the vote :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree Crabbers, but for the purposes of this competition it shall be considered a gadget, and I will cast my vote according to my personal desire of the object in question.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
22 cu.ft Maytag American fridge freezers
14.8 cu.ft fridge Compartment
7.5 cu.ft Freezer Compartment
Size 908mm x 1778mm x 676mm
Cabinet is only 607mm deep
(B) Energy rating
Chilled water, Crushed Ice, Lock & Light
Twin Cooling system
Spill-proof tempered glass shelves
Temperature controlled bin
Wine/can rack
Tall Bottle storage, Beverage centre
Internal Water Filter, Deodoriser
Noise level 47 Decibels
Trim Kit takes 6mm Decor Panels

refrig_MAYTAG_ZIGZAGB.JPG

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If we're talking FRIDGES, there really is only one choice.

soccerkule.jpg

Its PORTABLE for christs sake. You can plug it in the car. GENIUS.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
like that remote control i do. Thats a proper gadget. Fridges that make ice? its a bit for the girls, i mean how do you care how the ice is made as long as its in your Whiskey when the missus brings it to you.

Wozza

Custom title
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Easy 10 said:
If we're talking FRIDGES, there really is only one choice.

soccerkule.jpg

Its PORTABLE for christs sake. You can plug it in the car. GENIUS.

What you've got to ask yourself is, would that impress the ladies?

No, she'd think you'd a sad twat.

Case dismissed.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This is harder than voting in the eurovision song contest...

I think the garage door opener has no chance. Garage doors should be opened manually, and slammed shut with a reassuring thud.

The fridge looks cool but really, if you want ice, why can't you just scrape it out of the freezer?

The sky thing sounds like an exciting development in the world of T.V, which can only be a good thing.

The sony integrated thing could be a useful piece of equipment too. no need for god knows how many remotes. But, there's something satisfying in having half a dozen remotes and knowing what every button on every remote does.

So, after careful reflection, my vote is going for sky.

Jul 20, 2003
I had my first Sky+ experience at the weekend and I want it. That said I have wanted a world class fridge for many years. Importantly the fridge is essential for storing chickens prior to their vertical roasting.

In the past I have owned a garage door opener and found it to be only moderately entertaining - I am also proud of my collection of seven (count 'em) remote controls.

ergo: Fridge

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wozza said:
What you've got to ask yourself is, would that impress the ladies?

No, she'd think you'd a sad twat.

Case dismissed.
Bollocks.
Ladies arn't impressed by gadgets anyway, its all "boys toys" to them. The average girlie couldn't give a toss about Sky+ or integrated remote controls. In general, gadgets are expensive toys for big kids who are easily impressed, and that is almost exclusively a MALE thing.

Wozza, if you are casting your votes based on whether the gadget would "impress the ladies", then I'm afraid you have completely missed the point of the Gadget World Cup.

Tell him, Simster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here