Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iffy Onuora

JordanHarris

Jul 12, 2003
:drink: Why do we need someone like that? He is utter CRAP!!! If we're that desperate Coppell himself might as well get his boots back on!!!

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
JordanHarris said:
:drink: Why do we need someone like that? He is utter CRAP!!! If we're that desperate Coppell himself might as well get his boots back on!!!

I think it is part of the club's plans to build for the future. As they have a top-level Board, they know the importance of bringing in promising young players (like Bobby) for the future. This obviously gives the fans an opportunity to see exciting young players do their stuff for a few years, while the club nurture them before selling them at a profit. Or in our case, before giving them the chance to play in the promised land called "Falmer".:bowdown:

:nono: :nono: :mad:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I have been speaking to Huddersfield fans and they love him.

He sounds very much like the Rougier type of player. Big cannot get knocked off the ball, makes goals, scores them, falls over etc

Although he has had a bad injury recently the Hudd fans reckon he will be good for at least 20 games a season so better than Kitson.

The Blades must have seen something in him to have bought him in the first place.

Only fly in the ointment I can see (apart from the housing costs) is that Huddersfield are offering him coaching status as well as playing.

At his age that may well determine his decision.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Jeez, first there's mass whinging about Coppell not signing, then there's massive whinging about the public enquiry hitting snags, then we go onto the mass whinging about no signings being made and then we go onto rip holes into any rumoured signings! Its starting to get very depressing reading this board.

I think the vast majority said we'd be extremely happy if Coppell signs on the dotted line and continues as our manager. He's done that and he's happy with the playing budget he's been given to manoeuvre the market with. I think all the years he's been in footy he has the ability to know roughly what type of player he needs and what he can afford. I think we should be a little patient and have a little faith in him and support him in his transfer dealings.

NewBoy

Jul 9, 2003
Mile Oak
Well said Grizz.

I think we should just wait and see what the next couple of weeks bring. Coppell knows what he is doing and if he believes in a player then we should trust him.

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
Ferret talk today has made me feel a bit better about our lack of signings.There is no doubt we need to make a couple of aquisitions though.

Ferret talk

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I hope we get Hunt... he would definitely plug one gap in our squad following the departure of Brooker...

And why not Iffy Onuora to overcome our shortage of strikers?... I am also surprised we haven't gone after The Rouge...

As for Big Dave, I suggest we give him a time limit to resond to whatever contract offer we have given him... if he walks, we need time to get goalie cover in, and I don't mean a loan, unless it is a season-long one...

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Grizz said:
Jeez, first there's mass whinging about Coppell not signing, then there's massive whinging about the public enquiry hitting snags, then we go onto the mass whinging about no signings being made and then we go onto rip holes into any rumoured signings! Its starting to get very depressing reading this board.

I think the vast majority said we'd be extremely happy if Coppell signs on the dotted line and continues as our manager. He's done that and he's happy with the playing budget he's been given to manoeuvre the market with. I think all the years he's been in footy he has the ability to know roughly what type of player he needs and what he can afford. I think we should be a little patient and have a little faith in him and support him in his transfer dealings.

I don't think that Coppell has ever said that he is "happy" woth his budget. I have seen him say that it is tight! But, after working on a shoestring at Brentford, Coppell is very good at using a little money to maximum effect.

However, we are not a two-bit team like Brentford! We are a well-supported team, with fans that have high expectations. We pay whatever is asked of us, and have a right to expect a decent team to watch!

Since Micky Adams left, there does not appear to be any strategy to the aquisitions, other than to "get-by untill Falmer is built". The money from Micky's compensation was never even re-invested in the team!

I'm sorry, but i am pissed-off waiting for "Falmer", or wherever we end up playing in years to come. Life is too short to wait for that to become a reality. I, and many others i talk to, expect to see something in return for the ticket money, NOW!:mad:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
NewBoy said:
Well said Grizz.

I think we should just wait and see what the next couple of weeks bring. Coppell knows what he is doing and if he believes in a player then we should trust him.

A breath of fresh air.

:clap:

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Turkey said:
A breath of fresh air.

:clap:

Agreed, I am sure that Steve Coppell will spend any money he is given very wisely. But, will he be given enough to build a team for the future, or just get in a bunch of old lags to see us through?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I'd be happy with the signing of Iffy if DK can afford his wages, he's played div 2 before and done well so why wouldn't he do well for us? Also, lets face it we're not going to get anyone better with DKs so called 'good budget' are we?
:nono:

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Mullers said:
However, we are not a two-bit team like Brentford! We are a well-supported team, with fans that have high expectations. We pay whatever is asked of us, and have a right to expect a decent team to watch!..................

Life is too short to wait for that to become a reality. I, and many others i talk to, expect to see something in return for the ticket money, NOW!:mad:

We are a well supported team and we do have high expectations from the past 3/4 seasons, but those expectations should be realistic. I like everyone else want to see the promotions, the good football, the developing football talent, players wanting to come to the Albion and play for us, but until we get a stadium, proper training facilities then that just isn't going to happen. Hence why we do have to realistic about these things.

Falmer is the crux to it all. Whether you like it or not it has to be the clubs priority, since there is no future to this club if we do not get a permanent stadium. I shudder to think what will happen if Falmer isn't approved, since this club cannot survive at Withdean and if it had no other option then we will become a two-bit club and then you would have something to whinge about.

The playing budget is weak, but i expect its better than a fair few in these divisions. Its a workable budget otherwise Coppell wouldn't have stayed on. He knows what he wants and he knows what he's got to spend. I have faith in him to make the right decisions. I don't blame Knight for it since he is juggling the finances to provide this club with a secure future for generations to come. Another 3/4 years of hardship, playing on a shoestring budget is fine with me aslong as we get the stadium.

On other posts i've read of yours Mullers you talk a lot about Knight putting his hand in his pocket or opening his cheque book, indeed your signature displays your feelings. How do you know that he isn't doing so? Of course you could throw that back at me and say how do i know he is. The only way i can explain it is having faith. Dick Knight is an Albion fan, he has blue and white blood flowing thru him and whilst he's made mistakes (that have rightly been questioned) he hasn't done anything at present that has been detrimental to this club. My trust hasn't been shaken since he took over and i firmly believe this club will go onto better things once our permanent home has been sorted out.

Grizz

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Here, here Grizz, wonder just how many of DK's detractors can remember the Belloti/Archer era ?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Patience is a virtue.

Steve Coppell will get the players he wants to get from his budget.

Dick Knight will get us Falmer.

Then, eventually, we will get what we want, a team to be proud of in a stadium to be proud of.

Let's be realistic here. Since I started watching the Albion back in '87 they have for the most part been mediocre. In my opinion the squad we currently have is the best overall in all that time, sure we have had a lot of star players down the years, but they've never had great support around them. Enjoy what you've got, it's rather good.

:clap2:

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Curious Orange said:
Patience is a virtue.

In my opinion the squad we currently have is the best overall in all that time, sure we have had a lot of star players down the years, but they've never had great support around them. Enjoy what you've got, it's rather good.

:clap2:

I agree with most of what you say, CO. But better than the 90-91 squad? Recalling Byrne and Small up front, supported by the likes of Nelse (mostly from the bench), Flash and Wendy Wilkins (much criticised, but what vision!), I think the current squad has a lot of catching up to do.

larus

Are all the whingers on here saying 'Dick Tight', the same ones that moan about the cost of season tickets? Bet they are.

They want a new stadium, top quality players & facilities, but someone else to pay. Get real please. It's very easy to criticise DK, but IMHO, he's done a good job in the time he's been here. Prior to him taking over, when was the last time we won some silverware? We were close to going out of business. If we'd been offered what we've got now back then, we would have jumped at that.

Like it or not, we are a two-bob outfit at the moment. We don't have a stadium, decent training facilities, large crowds, etc. These will come, but ONLY if we get Falmer. If you don't understand that, you must be on the wrong tablets. :lolol:

If you was a pro player (and not a Brigton fan), would you choose to come here to play at the moment? I wouldn't. So why should other pro's if they can go elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here