Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I need a new 3 wood

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Hi All,

Am off to Portugal for my annual golf tour in a few weeks and I need to replace my 3 wood before then and am after any recommendations from the good and the great at NSC.

Details of my golf below.

Handicap - 14
Swing Speed - 90-100mph
Budget - Whatever really

Currently have a 20 year old Big Bertha which whilst I still like just needs to be updated. I use the 3 wood for fairway work, and also when the driver starts to go a bit wild off the tee.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
You might consider doing a swap with the guy on here looking for a hoover.

Last edited:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Mizuno JPX-800 with the yellow Aviv Blk 79 shaft. Its a tour regular shaft so slightly stiffer and good for swing speeds around 95-105 mph.

Very nice and easy to hit. £99.

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
you might consider a hybrid. I tried my mates one at the golf course and it drove further than my normal driver. its a combination of an iron and wood and its great off the ground and also light rough where as a 3 wood wouldnt help me

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Wood, stiff shafts, rough, swinging - this is better than 50 Shades of Grey.

PHWOOOOOAAAR!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Have never been able to hit woods properly off the deck and preferred hybrids or laying up with an iron and trying to get up and down, but would highly recommend the Nike Sumos, I've got a 4wood for a little more loft, stiff graphite. Works a beaut. Certainly for your swing speed which is quicker than mine (and off a lower handicap) definitely go for a stiffer shaft. Go down American Golf or Rustington has a big shop, try some stuff out for size.

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
On-line Golf has some offers, I picked up a Taylormade R11 5 wood for £89 - which is a pretty amazing price. Have a look don't know what other offers they have. Good golfing ATB

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Having a wife who plays golf, try buying something cheaper and more useful..... like a Ferrari

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I use a Callaway X Hybrid off 18. The extra loft means I need to remember to tee down if I use it to drive but from the fairway or light rough it is a wonderful club and saves me 2 or 3 shots a round. Probably cost between £100 and £120

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Went for a Mizuno JPX800 3 wood.

Love my Mizuno irons so thought it might be a good bet. Arrives on Friday in post.

Thanks for all your recommendations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here