Has anyone been to Ethiopia

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Am going there for 4 weeks in end December/January. Part work/Part trip. Going to Harar, Addis and the historical circuit Bahir Dar, Lalibela, Gondar, Axum.

If anyone's been, any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers Chaps

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Am going there for 4 weeks in end December/January. Part work/Part trip. Going to Harar, Addis and the historical circuit Bahir Dar, Lalibela, Gondar, Axum.

Cheers Chaps

What type of work do you do there? If you don't mind me asking......

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I havnt been, but I know plenty of rastafarians who have... shashamane there is land given by Selassie to the world rasta movement back in the late 40s..., although subsequent govts have taken most of it back..think theres about 200-300 rastas living there.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Not been there myself but my brother has just started a tour driving a truck from Nairobi to Cairo which goes through Ethiopia and Sudan. They've been warned what to expect and it doesn't sound like much fun.

cowburn86

Sep 30, 2011
Berlin
I went to Addis for a few days as had to get a connecting flight there anyway. It's a really interesting place and completely safe though the poverty is a tad depressing, there were entire families lying face down on the pavement begging with nothing to eat. The locals don't come up to you and ask for money except when you are at the market at which point they are VERY interested in you. You might get some young lads coming up to you especially if you are with a girl but it's more just out of interest and certainly isn't threatening. Decent nightlife with bars and jazz, my friend wrote up our time for a magazine here; HOUND Magazine Issue #2

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I went to Addis for a few days as had to get a connecting flight there anyway. It's a really interesting place and completely safe though the poverty is a tad depressing, there were entire families lying face down on the pavement begging with nothing to eat. The locals don't come up to you and ask for money except when you are at the market at which point they are VERY interested in you. You might get some young lads coming up to you especially if you are with a girl but it's more just out of interest and certainly isn't threatening. Decent nightlife with bars and jazz, my friend wrote up our time for a magazine here; HOUND Magazine Issue #2

That's a good article Cowburn :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Cheers Chaps

You lucky lucky man. I'd love to go to Ethiopia. Up in my top two countries I'd love to visit, Iceland being the other one.

Seeing the Church's in Lalibela that are carved out of the rocks must be a sight to behold alone! The history of that country is truly a long and proud one.

Musically too there's some great stuff come out of Ethiopia. You could dip safely into any of the numerous Ethiopiques series for some gems. I've yet to find a dud Mulatu Astake album too, all superb stuff. The pianist from Dub Colossus, Samuel Yirga, is another Ethiopian artist worth checking out. Oh, and nearly forgot, you might want to try Gigi too.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Samuel Yirga - YouTube

Hope you have a fantastic trip. Be great if you could post us some of your pics back on here.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Has anyone been to Ethiopia

Cheers Chaps

I am sure they have.

TNBA

TTF

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
You lucky lucky man. I'd love to go to Ethiopia. Up in my top two countries I'd love to visit, Iceland being the other one.

Seeing the Church's in Lalibela that are carved out of the rocks must be a sight to behold alone! The history of that country is truly a long and proud one.

Musically too there's some great stuff come out of Ethiopia. You could dip safely into any of the numerous Ethiopiques series for some gems. I've yet to find a dud Mulatu Astake album too, all superb stuff. The pianist from Dub Colossus, Samuel Yirga, is another Ethiopian artist worth checking out. Oh, and nearly forgot, you might want to try Gigi too.

Samuel Yirga - YouTube

Hope you have a fantastic trip. Be great if you could post us some of your pics back on here.

Cheers 1066, will do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports