Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Guardian article on possession football

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Interesting article in the Gruniad today, with a graph illustrating how our style has changed across our Premier League seasons:

style2.PNG

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The last point, the one about the comparisons to Kompany getting the Munich job, I agree with.

Southampton fans will be mightily pissed off if Martin takes them down and walks into a plum job somewhere.

Still, shouldn't laugh if that happens

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
A lot of these tactical analysis articles miss out a big grey flappy eared fella trunking down buns in front of them. Burnley and Southampton had amongst the most expensive and best squads of players in the Championship. They had/have amongst the least expensive and worst squads in the EPL.

Playing possession football is effective if you can use possession in dangerous spaces. We played some lovely stuff in the early years of GP, but we struggled to make clear chances because we didn't have the technical players to move the ball quickly enough to get the overloads in clear spaces. We were memed for missing opportunities, but most of those chances were in tight areas under defensive pressure.

Its hard for 'process' managers to strike a balance between getting everyone to buy into the process and compromising when necessary to most effectively hurt opponents. I was quite impressed that Kieran McKenna had sussed not to try expansive football at the Amex. It was annoying for us, but it's often the most effective approach against us if you don't have superior players.

The odds are stacked against new teams in this division and you need to seek every advantage. You don't have to abandon principles, but mixing it up makes you less predictable and therefore harder to play against. Prioritise set pieces as those are levellers that can be won by the team with the best plan rather than the best players. Martin approaching the EPL without compromise is a bit like RDZ going to Roma with an understrength side and not adjusting his tactics and it's likely to end the same way.

Last edited:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The last point, the one about the comparisons to Kompany getting the Munich job, I agree with.

Southampton fans will be mightily pissed off if Martin takes them down and walks into a plum job somewhere.

Still, shouldn't laugh if that happens
Fingers crossed (though highly unlikely) that we're not the plum job at the end of his time at Southampton...

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Telling about last season isn't it. Some distant passing but no urgency and not really getting anywhere

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
A lot of these tactical anlysis articles miss out a big grey flappy eared fella trunking down buns in front of them. Burnley and Southampton had amongst the most expensive and best squads of players in the Championship. They had/have amongst the least expensive and worst squads in the EPL.

Playing possession football is effective if you can use possession in dangerous spaces. We played some lovely stuff in the early years of GP, but we struggled to make clear chances because we didn't have the technical players to move the ball quickly enough to get the overloads in clear spaces. We were memed for missing opportunities, but most of those chances were in tight areas under defensive pressure.

Its hard for 'process' managers to strike a balance between getting everyone to buy into the process and compromising when necessary to most effectively hurt opponents. I was quite impressed that Kieran McKenna had sussed not to try expansive football at the Amex. It was annoying for us, but it's often the most effective approach against us if you don't have superior players.

The odds are stacked against new teams in this division and you need to seek every advantage. You don't have to abandon principles, but mixing it up makes you less predictable and therefore harder to play against. Prioritise set pieces as those are levellers that can be won by the team with the best plan rather than the best players. Martin approaching the EPL without compromise is a bit like RDZ going to Roma with an understrength side and not adjusting his tactics and it's likely to end the same way.
I agree. Kompany at Burnley tried to play lke Manchester City, without realising that that means someone has to play lke Haaland, someone has to play like Rhodri, someone has to play like de Bruyne, and so forth. (Also, he never tried to stop the defence leaking silly goals.)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Telling about last season isn't it. Some distant passing but no urgency and not really getting anywhere
Although it mirrors Man City this season...

...and also, to a certain extent, Southampton.

Reflecting the fact you need the players to make that system work (and injuries scuppered us last season)

style3.PNG

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I thought the same, but as @kevo says, injuries played a part.

Our ‘direct speed upfield’ would’ve been Mitoma, Pedro, Enciso, Pervis and March, all to varying degrees. Without them in the team, it’s hardly a surprise we spent longer trying to pass our way to a final moment.

That said, Baleba was not given license to charge forward like he is under FH.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
That said, Baleba was not given license to charge forward like he is under FH.

I don't think he was quite ready for it, tbh. He has improved so much this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here