Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Great “worst” albums

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Sorry more music.

The Doors got me thinking. What albums do you really rate/like/enjoy that are generally seen to be one of the worst the band has produced?

My favourite Doors album is The Soft Parade, however it is generally slated by fans. I think it’s well produced, good tunes and great vocals from Jim Morrison.

I also really rate Last Chance Saloon by The Bluetones and Yes Please by The Happy Mondays, both generally slated by the masses

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Cut the Crap, the last Clash album, after Mick Jones had been stupidly sacked, has been universally slated as an abomination. Yet I actually think it's got some really good guitar-driven rock tracks, such as Movers and Shakers, and Dirty Punk.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Hot Space by Queen

The 'Disco' album

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Movement by New Order. Their debut album, I’ve loved it since the moment it came out, at least 4 stunning tracks, goosebumps. Panned on nsc and elsewhere …. how can so many people be tone death?
And the only one I have never bought on CD - so it's still an 'event' when I get the record out to listen to it. Generally with my headphones, as Mrs Bodian thinks it's 'gloomy'.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I think Let It Be is over rated shite, in fact I can’t even listen to it

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Go 2 -- XTC's 2nd album and last with Barry Andrews on keyboards. They'd be a guitar band from then on before incorporating jazz, orchestal, Middle Eastern and other musics.

Yellow Submarine -- The movie soundtrack album with George Martin's arrangements and only 6 Beatles songs, of which just 4 were originals not considered good enough for any of the three albums released in '67 and '68.

Talking Heads '77 -- Debut album, but wow! Really a faultless discography, not a bum LP in sight.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And the only one I have never bought on CD - so it's still an 'event' when I get the record out to listen to it. Generally with my headphones, as Mrs Bodian thinks it's 'gloomy'.

That old chestnut. Wives/girlfriends, also DJ’s such as Steve Wright, who loathed all sounds from The Cure/Smiths/JD/NO/TalkTalk …. often fans of Duran Duran in my experience :lolol: .

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Go 2 -- XTC's 2nd album and last with Barry Andrews on keyboards. They'd be a guitar band from then on before incorporating jazz, orchestal, Middle Eastern and other musics.

Yellow Submarine -- The movie soundtrack album with George Martin's arrangements and only 6 Beatles songs, of which just 4 were originals not considered good enough for any of the three albums released in '67 and '68.

Talking Heads '77 -- Debut album, but wow! Really a faultless discography, not a bum LP in sight.

'77 is brilliant, wouldn't have thought it is anywhere near their worst album, a position I would give to True Stories

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Garlands by Cocteau Twins. Very few people seem to like it when compared to their later stuff but I think it is magnificent
An astonishing album; totally original musically and lyrically, and with Liz Fraser's totally unique vocal style.

The second track, Wax and Wane, remains one of my favourite songs ever. It still gives me goosebumps whenever I listen to it, it's so haunting.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Sorry more music.

The Doors got me thinking. What albums do you really rate/like/enjoy that are generally seen to be one of the worst the band has produced?

My favourite Doors album is The Soft Parade, however it is generally slated by fans. I think it’s well produced, good tunes and great vocals from Jim Morrison.

I also really rate Last Chance Saloon by The Bluetones and Yes Please by The Happy Mondays, both generally slated by the masses
Was last chance saloon slated? I loved the album when it came out and had some decent singles on it as well. Just reminded me to give it listen!

I also liked Soft Parade and Touch me is one of my favourite doors tracks.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
'77 is brilliant, wouldn't have thought it is anywhere near their worst album, a position I would give to True Stories
No Compassion in particular is a fantastic track.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here