Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Got any Nick Drake albums?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Got 4 of them , but I always think of them as the accompaniment to a summer's day.

Good that we can all get different things out of his music.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Just discovered "One of these Things"- Great song but i know nothing else of his.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Lush said:
No albums, but "The River Man" track downloaded. Thinking about getting more.

Recommendations?

I have the albums Pink Moon and Five Leaves Left, and I would say the latter (which has the track River Man on it) is marginally better. His voice is stunning.

If you would rather download first I'd reccomend checking out "Road", "Cello Song" and "Day is done".

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I used to have "Five Leaves Left" It's quality.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lush said:
No albums, but "The River Man" track downloaded. Thinking about getting more.

Recommendations?

3 studio albums in his lifetime, all good, but all different.

'Five Leaves Left': probably the most varied, with some delicate and exquisite songs, like 'River Man'.
'Bryter Layter': the most upbeat, includes the excellent 'Northern Sky'
'Pink Moon': very sparse arrangements and haunting songs, recorded in solitude..not upbeat, but not self-indulgently miserable either

There is an album's worth of material that saw release later called 'Time Of No Reply'.

Perhaps it's knowing that he died so young that makes his songs sound so melancholy. He's Britain's version of Tim Buckley in that respect.

Townes Van Zandt is quite good, I'd recommend him.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I am business partners with his producer, and worked for Drake's publishing company for many years. He has sold more albums each year since 1980, and sales really took off in the States when VW used Pink Moon in a TV ad for their Cabriolet. I'm sad that I never met him or saw him play. He was cripplingly shy and he only did a handful of live shows before his untimely death from a likely accidental overdose of anti-depressents.

If you don't want to invest in all three studio albums then there have been three collections, the latest of which is called Nick Drake - A Treasury, although Way To Blue is better in my opinion if you can still get hold of it.

The man was a genius in my book, and many great artists credit him with being a strong influence on their own music.

His sister Gabrielle Drake was in Crossroads years ago, and is still a busy stage and tv actress.

Ratso2005

Dec 4, 2004
Hazey Jane I is one of the most beautiful compositions ever recorded I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here