Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FIFA Club World Cup

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
So, how does this work then? The club selection seems pretty random, with Chelsea qualifying because they won the Champions league 4 years ago, despite being generally pants since then. Once invited to participate by the FIFA Overlords, are clubs then obliged to participate, or can they politely decline? Are participating clubs therefore justified when they complain that's it's all a bit too much? And quite frankly, is anyone remotely interested in this bizarre competition? Or is it just a FIFA vanity project?

Sunday morning debate.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
It's undoubtedly a FIFA vanity project. It's never, ever taken off regardless of how many times they try and tinker with it- people just don't care about it

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Its too popular in South America and Asia to be scrapped. Its also a logical concept - best clubs from different continents facing off - and should have a lot of potential to grow. A lot of the growth potential in football is outside Europe and this is one of the few ways you can have the biggest clubs come and play competitive games on other continents.

The new more World Cup-like format, while a bit random, should be a big improvement over how it has been. A bigger tournament once every four years is going to create more attention than the annual "someone is going somewhere to beat Mamelodi Sundowns"-thingie that has been so far.

Most players will hate it, most leagues will find it impractical, but clubs won't turn it down in the end, too much global exposure at stake.
My guess is that it will be a massive hit.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Its too popular in South America and Asia to be scrapped. Its also a logical concept - best clubs from different continents facing off - and should have a lot of potential to grow. A lot of the growth potential in football is outside Europe and this is one of the few ways you can have the biggest clubs come and play competitive games on other continents.

The new more World Cup-like format, while a bit random, should be a big improvement over how it has been. A bigger tournament once every four years is going to create more attention than the annual "someone is going somewhere to beat Mamelodi Sundowns"-thingie that has been so far.

Most players will hate it, most leagues will find it impractical, but clubs won't turn it down in the end, too much global exposure at stake.
My guess is that it will be a massive hit.
Or on the other hand: https://www.sportcal.com/analyst-co...rest-in-the-2025-fifa-club-world-cup/?cf-view

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Tin pot. They’re scrambling to get contracts signed saying clubs have to play a certain number of first teamers each game. Not for me, Clive.

Reminds me of The Hundred.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here