Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Everton away - things to do / avoid

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I'm going with MsBC to see Fulham hopefully make it 4 away wins in a row (after having previously never beaten them at Goodison Park) on Saturday. It's a 5.30 ko (boo) although that gives us a few hours in downtown Liverpool to sightsee and drink a bit. Thinking of Baltic Quarter, Albert Dock, 3 Graces, walk past the Cavern, into the Philharmonic (on CAMRA's historic pub inventory) and then to the ground, possibly via The Arkles pub to commune with fellow Cottagers.

Any other recommendations on must-see places, cafes, Victoria Sponge purveyors, or things to avoid? How easy is it to get back to Lime Street station afterwards? Ta.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Make time to have a pee in the Philharmonic.
100% this. Ask at the bar, they take ladies in to look as well. But plan your day as the Philly is not in the town centre. Check out the Cavern area obviously. The Beatles statues in front of the ferry terminal worth a picture.
Cavern Club, Statues and docks area 30 mins walk. Arkles is the friendliest pub on any away day, but may be a bit too far for Everton ground.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I'm going with MsBC to see Fulham hopefully make it 4 away wins in a row (after having previously never beaten them at Goodison Park) on Saturday. It's a 5.30 ko (boo) although that gives us a few hours in downtown Liverpool to sightsee and drink a bit. Thinking of Baltic Quarter, Albert Dock, 3 Graces, walk past the Cavern, into the Philharmonic (on CAMRA's historic pub inventory) and then to the ground, possibly via The Arkles pub to commune with fellow Cottagers.

Any other recommendations on must-see places, cafes, Victoria Sponge purveyors, or things to avoid? How easy is it to get back to Lime Street station afterwards? Ta.
Looks like you have most things covered, might suggest beatles statue and liver building although you are perhaps including them with albert dock. Also either or both of the 2 cathedrals if you are into that sort of thing.
There is a matchday bus service specifically to and from lime st and goodison which i used both ways earlier this season. On the return journey because i stayed to applaud the team i had to wait for a bus to come back from the city centre but i had plenty of time before my train. pm me if you want more details.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If you win 3-0 you will never get the first batch of buses back to the station as the home fans will have left well before the final whistle so you won't get the 1745 back to London you will have to wait until the 1845

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
If you win 3-0 you will never get the first batch of buses back to the station as the home fans will have left well before the final whistle so you won't get the 1745 back to London you will have to wait until the 1845
Thanks. KO is 1730, so I'm assuming final whistle around 1930 and looking at the 2019 back to Sheffield (MsBC is at University there). Do you reckon 50 minutes is enough to get back to Lime St?

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
100% this. Ask at the bar, they take ladies in to look as well. But plan your day as the Philly is not in the town centre. Check out the Cavern area obviously. The Beatles statues in front of the ferry terminal worth a picture.
Cavern Club, Statues and docks area 30 mins walk. Arkles is the friendliest pub on any away day, but may be a bit too far for Everton ground.
Ah. I had assumed it is. I'll check. Thanks for the heads up.

May 14, 2015
Lived in Liverpool for a few years so know the place well. The Philharmonic is not directly in the city centre but only a short walk up the hill, passing the bombed out Church on the way. If you venture up there you'll get to see Hope street connecting the two cathedrals.

Albert dock is the classic go-to, and Mathew Street for Beatles-themed bars (Cavern, Sgt Peppers etc). Concert square is full of bars, but is mostly for later nights and younger crowds.

Bold street's got a range of nice restaurants if you're after a bit of food.

The Baltic triangle is fine, but is mostly nightclubs and flats with a little bit of street art around. If limited time there's better things to do. Easy to walk to though if you fancy, although you will feel like you're walking out of the city centre to get there.

Being honest its not a huge place, and is easily walkable. If you've got a few hours to spare and get your walking shoes on you can do it all.

Let me know if you want any more details, specific food recs or anything like that.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
Thanks. KO is 1730, so I'm assuming final whistle around 1930 and looking at the 2019 back to Sheffield (MsBC is at University there). Do you reckon 50 minutes is enough to get back to Lime St?

If you can't get on the bus quick enough (and that's a definite possibility) that may be a tad tight and it's a fair old walk from Goodison to Lime Street.

It's also a good 20 min walk to Kirkdale station to get the Merseyrail into town but again, being able to get on a train to get you there in time is debatable.

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
I love Liverpool. It’s a shame you have so little time there. Regarding Goodison (and Anfield, visible across the park), it’s a fascinating glimpse into how football grounds used to be, both location wise in the middle of terraced streets, and the ground itself. For away fans it’s better to be in the upper seats. Along Goodison Rd there are several backstreet boozers which are friendly and welcoming. Not usually real ale emporia mind.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I needed to leave slightly early last time. There are no buses until after the crowd have sufficiently dispersed the immediate streets so I ended up pace walking back to Lime St. Took about 40 mins.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Ah, that's different, if you dont get on the first batch of buses then that's tight, we were on the second bus of the second batch (ie took fans into town and then returned) I think took us about 50 minutes from full time, got to Lime Street about 1755 I think but don't forget VAR added time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here