Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric "The Plank" Sykes

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I thought he was older than that. Remember him on TV with Hattie Jaques and Deryck Guyler in the 1970s.
images

Or is that Patrick Moore?

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Oh. Saddened by this. Loved him. Loved his shows.

A very very clever funny man, took over from Milligan writing the Goon shows when Milligan couldn't take it anymore. A real comedy genius.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

The first part of the Plank for our younger viewers. I thought it was in B/W, still funny today.
Bill Oddie, is he the only one of the cast still breathing? RIP Eric.

A very very clever funny man, took over from Milligan writing the Goon shows when Milligan couldn't take it anymore. A real comedy genius.

All of this - a comedy legend who really was. Used to love his eponymous show with Corky the Policeman and Richard Wattis as his snooty neighbour. They don't do daft whimsical shows like that anymore - the world needs more whimsical.

Was slightly bizzare to see him in the creepy thriller/ghost film "The Others" alongside Nicole Kidman and Christopher Ecclestone.

Comedy trivia question - what did "Sykes" (the show), "Dad's Army" and the American comedy "Cheers" have in common??

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Eric was proof that there's no need to be rude or vulgar to be amazingly funny
A sad day
RIP Sykes
:(

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

My sentiments entirely. A real comedy great

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Also, he didn't need glasses. If you look closely there is no glass in the lenses. They were actually a hearing aid!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
That news has genuinely brought a tear to my eye, and that doesn't happen very often - not for "celebrities", anyway. A lovely man as well as a very funny one.

Edit - Oror at least I always got that impression. maybe I need to read his autobiography as per the post above.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Saw him on stage a few years ago and even though he was deaf as a post and obviously not in the best of health he was still very funny and his timing was perfect. A comedy great.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh dear, another sad loss, only Ken Dodd left of the old guard ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Many years ago my father's friend played in a golf pro-am with him and I caddied for my father's friend and I must admit what a miserable bugger he was, unlike Ronnie Corbett who was really funny

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Many years ago my father's friend played in a golf pro-am with him and I caddied for my father's friend and I must admit what a miserable bugger he was, unlike Ronnie Corbett who was really funny

He may have come across that way because he struggled with deafness for much of his life and genuinely had problems communicating with people as a result.
Must agree with you on Ronnie Corbett though. I followed him 2 or 3 times when he used to partner Ian Woosnam in the Pro-Ams at Woburn in the late 80's and early nineties. A very funny guy and very unfairly overshadowed by Ronnie Barker IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here