Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Team Bonus'

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
From BBC site

England squad agree bonus payment

The England squad have reached agreement in principle with the Football Association over their bonuses for the World Cup finals.
Each player could net up to £300,000 if England win the trophy.

Gary Neville, who misses Saturday's friendly with Argentina through injury, joined fellow members of the England players' panel to meet the FA.

FA director of communications Adrian Bevington said: "It was a very constructive meeting."

He added: "We are delighted that agreement has been reached in principle after the first discussions."

Should England players be encouraged to win the world cup with a promise of more money. For a start they get enough as it is, but isnt it enough that they are wearing the shirt of their country, what does money have to do with the world cup? For the players it should be about playing in the greatest sporting event in the world.

What do you reckon, is 300,000 pounds a fair bonus??

:angry:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I don't care as long as we win it

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They seem to have a lot of money to splash around. Perhaps that money could be spent on the lower leagues etc.

Surely they have enough money without needing £300k to win the cup. To be a World Cup winner is incentive enough in my book!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
If they win the World Cup for England they can have as much dosh as they like.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
It's good to see that they've set a price early on.

What's that saying about knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I think they should play for the prid eof the nation why should they get that sort of money. If they don't want to play if no bonus then the players can fcuk right off and pick someone who does.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
BarrelofFun said:
They seem to have a lot of money to splash around. Perhaps that money could be spent on the lower leagues etc.

Surely they have enough money without needing £300k to win the cup. To be a World Cup winner is incentive enough in my book!
My thoughts EXACTLY.

This means the FA would be spunking £7.2m on a bunch of multi-millionaires (plus however much they'd decide to chuck Svens way on top of the £4.5m a year he's already on). How about channelling that cash into the grass roots of the game instead ? When you've got some clubs going to the wall for the sake of £500k, the fact that the FA would see fit to throw this kind of cash around is pretty obscene.

Its academic anyway, as we all know England will probably get raped by the first decent side we come across as Sven "freezes" on the bench once again.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Scrape through the group -1 win 1 draw and a loss. storming performance in round 2 against lesser opposition, bringing expectation to fever pitch then a dismal dour quarter final effort lossto a proper team. Oh and Gerrard will be sh1t.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
My thoughts EXACTLY.

This means the FA would be spunking £7.2m on a bunch of multi-millionaires (plus however much they'd decide to chuck Svens way on top of the £4.5m a year he's already on). How about channelling that cash into the grass roots of the game instead ? When you've got some clubs going to the wall for the sake of £500k, the fact that the FA would see fit to throw this kind of cash around is pretty obscene.

Its academic anyway, as we all know England will probably get raped by the first decent side we come across as Sven "freezes" on the bench once again.

In principle a nobel argument and I agree that the players do not need the money. But the argument will be, it is because of the players that the FA get that rather large pot of sponsors money and they want their cut of it. People do not offer their labour for nothing these days.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
most clubs will benefit if the team do well because more people will come through the turnstiles, except at Withdean because we are already choks block

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
Goring Gull said:
I think they should play for the prid eof the nation why should they get that sort of money. If they don't want to play if no bonus then the players can fcuk right off and pick someone who does.

I'm with Goring Gull on this one. Gone are the days when the players needed the extra money (it's not as if they have to pay for thier flight and accommodation out there).

If the concern is that the FA are benefitting too much, then calculate how much is earned off the back of a world cup campaign and distribute to the grass roots, or Build Falmer!;)

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Uncle Buck said:
In principle a nobel argument and I agree that the players do not need the money. But the argument will be, it is because of the players that the FA get that rather large pot of sponsors money and they want their cut of it. People do not offer their labour for nothing these days.

But then, couldn't you argue that the players would have no jobs with out the clubs, that the clubs are vital to the survival of football. Beckham went on loan to Preston, Ashley cole to Palace, Ferdinand (i think...)and Defoe to Bournemouth. Going on loan to the smaller clubs helps their careers. Who knows how valuable the experience they got as a loan player was to their career? Bournemouth need 500k by the end of the month. Was Defoe's and Ferdinand's time worth 500k of 'their' money or should multi millionaire football players grab a few weeks' worth of wages to go with the glory and adulation that comes from winning the world cup?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
Well, in theory, I think the cash that the FA would make from England winning the World Cup SHOULD filter its way to the lower leagues and grass roots football. The FA are supposed to be guardians of the game in England, so those funds should be channelled to where they are needed most. If its just dished out to the players as a bonus, it'll go straight in their back pockets and within a month will end up in the nearest Ferrari showrooom.

I know I'm being naive and idealist here, but winning the World Cup should not just be seen as a cash-cow for those involved. The lifelong glory of being crowned World Champions and writing your place in history would far outweigh any cash bonus being thrown at the FA and the players.

But I suppose everyone wants their f***ing little bit nowadays, don't they.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Well, in theory, I think the cash that the FA would make from England winning the World Cup SHOULD filter its way to the lower leagues and grass roots football. The FA are supposed to be guardians of the game in England, so those funds should be channelled to where they are needed most. If its just dished out to the players as a bonus, it'll go straight in their back pockets and within a month will end up in the nearest Ferrari showrooom.

I know I'm being naive and idealist here, but winning the World Cup should not just be seen as a cash-cow for those involved. The lifelong glory of being crowned World Champions and writing your place in history would far outweigh any cash bonus being thrown at the FA and the players.

But I suppose everyone wants their f***ing little bit nowadays, don't they.

You are being idealist and that is I guess some of the Corinthian spirit of the game.

Your last comment sums it up a treat. I do not think the players are correct, but sadly I see where they are coming from, the whole thing is money motivated these days.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
:angry: :angry: It should be a privelige to play for your country, you shouldn't be paid anything

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here