Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Day trip to France!

Hoggy

Controversial!
Sep 28, 2006
BN1
anyone know of any special offers on a cheap return crossing to France for a day, ideally looking to go next week, from Dover to Calais.

Need to stock up on Booze!

Thanks in advance

Hoggy

Controversial!
Sep 28, 2006
BN1
adrian29uk said:
Whe dont you go from Newhaven to Dieppe with the car if you live in Sussex of course.

Still the same choice, but less people. Calais is just an extension of Dover.

we don't want a 4 hour crossing, the cheapest i've found is £20 return, which between three of us is pretty reasonable!

thanks nonetheless

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Hoggy said:
we don't want a 4 hour crossing, the cheapest i've found is £20 return, which between three of us is pretty reasonable!

thanks nonetheless

It's only three hours now, and Dieppe is a much nicer town than Calais.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Paid £17 for car and two passengers just before Christmas with P&O so £20 is not too bad. If you go over, visit the Auchan hypermarket. It is on the same retail park as Sainsburys but has a better selection of booze (and better prices). If you find their website you can download discount vouchers which save you even more money.

Also, check out the deals on the boat on your way over. Loads of people on the way back were saying that the special offers on the boat were cheaper than the best prices in France - especially on spirits and champagne.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
thedonkeycentrehalf said:
Paid £17 for car and two passengers just before Christmas with P&O so £20 is not too bad. If you go over, visit the Auchan hypermarket. It is on the same retail park as Sainsburys but has a better selection of booze (and better prices). If you find their website you can download discount vouchers which save you even more money.

Also, check out the deals on the boat on your way over. Loads of people on the way back were saying that the special offers on the boat were cheaper than the best prices in France - especially on spirits and champagne.
So you went all the way to France to go to an over-sized Supermarket?!? Did you not consider actually visiting the country?

Apologies if that seems a bit rude, as you may have been over there on holiday and popped in on the way back. Otherwise :nono:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Woodchip said:
So you went all the way to France to go to an over-sized Supermarket?!? Did you not consider actually visiting the country?

We do both. We go on holiday in the summer but do a shopping trip at other times as well.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Woodchip said:

Apologies if that seems a bit rude, as you may have been over there on holiday and popped in on the way back. Otherwise :nono:

Yep - this was a booze run, nothing more intellectual than that!

However, it was a chance for a day trip with a mate of mine who was going anyway and the savings made on wine etc more than paid for the day out (you should see how much wine my missus can sink in a week). We had a nice day out, good lunch and I was back home in time to watch the end of the football on the telly.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Washing powder is much cheaper over there as well as the usual wine, pate, olive oil etc.

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
adrian29uk said:
The French Hypermarkets absolutely piss over Tesco for quality.
yeh?

the taxi back is a bit of a bastard though

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We use www.Speedferries.com (or.co.uk), much cheaper, gets you there in 45 mins, and Boulogne is far nicer than Calais

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here