Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Tsunami 1929 !! My Granny once told me about it.

D

Deleted User X18H

I have just read about it in the Preston Pages , some young lad recognised the effect of the tide going out a long long way, he had studied what they used to call Tidal Waves at school and warned every one.

I was secptical about what dear old Emily, bless her, had told me.

Found this though very interesting.

At around 7:30 p.m. (about an hour and a quarter after low tide) on 20 July 1929 a large, tsumami-like wave struck the Kent and Sussex coasts, busy with tourists, and drowned two people. The 22 July Times described the event at a number of locations: At Brighton and Worthing sudden downpours of rain and high winds accompanied the wave, but at Folkestone and Hastings, where one person drowned at each site, the weather was clear, and estimates projected the unexpected wave at approximately 3.5 and 6 meters high, respectively. Uniquely, at Folkestone, observers reported eight large waves entering the harbor, picking up motorboats lying on sand flats, exposed close to low tide, and transporting them more than 180 meters along the length of the inner harbor. The wave washed away a sixteen-year-old boy who was fishing from the breakwater, his body never to be recovered. If this event had coincided with the high tide, then the number of casualties would probably have been much greater and damage more extensive. C. M. K. Douglas suggested that a squall line traveling up the English Channel, coincident with rain and wind, generated the wave, so it may be referred to as a "meteorological tsunami" (1929).

Further details from The Times give a fuller picture of the event (1929, 14). At Brighton "a line of foam rushed towards the beach, while pleasure boats raced for safety. Almost before the crowds realized what was happening torrential rains poured down and the wave rushed far up the beach, carrying away chains and bathers' clothes." At Folkestone

a number of bathers and people paddling were caught by the tide and were in danger of being drowned. Mrs Ruth Kirby ... and her five and six year old daughters ... were injured by being cast on the rocks and had to be taken to hospital for treatment. The mother was only able to catch her two children as they were submerged by the sea, but was fortunately able to retain her hold on them. Mrs Elizabeth Hill ... and two Folkestone boys named Whiting and Pryor were also injured by being thrown on the rocks .... A small boat with two men in it was lifted up on to the rocks at East Cliff and left high and dry.

At Hastings "Mrs Lillian Pollard ... was drowned when the boat in which she was a passenger capsized. ... The wave overturned the boat and all its occupants went under. ... At St. Leonard's two boats were capsized by the wave and all the occupants were thrown into the sea." On the east side of the Isle of Wight "a bank of sand swept along the sea front with considerable force. Many boats were overturned on Sandown beach." Finally, at Worthing "the sea was churned up into a wave quite 6th. [1.8 meters] high, which came sweeping towards the shore at an alarming pace. It extended as far as the eye could see and within five minutes the sea had risen from low to half full tide. The people on the front and those who were bathing or paddling ran for sh

kip

Aug 2, 2011
I remember reading something about this. The sea came as far up as new church road in hove

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
My Granny kept on repeating it. She thought it was funny all the people running up the beach and the deck chairs being washed away.

It was caused by extreme and unusual weather conditions according to the experts.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
My mum was on the beach at the time. Apparently it was caused by something called the chichester fault which ran under the IOW. I suppose it shifted as per the one in Japan.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I posted a reply on this forum by mistake.

So, the experts said methodological events, but I am not sure of they had their seismic monitors back then. It could have been an earthquake, but it is not on record.

I have seen a storm surge but a metre on the tide (February 1983), but was gradual not sudden.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Pretty sure it's not possible due to the continental shelf. Could've been a tidal wave, perhaps, which is an entirely different thing.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My Nan was on Worthing beach and her Father noticed the wave and gathered her up in his arms and ran for the prom as did others. She says it was very frightening and pandemonium ensued.

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
My late dad told me about it - he was about 7 - at the time. He said that they spent all their days on the beach at Worthing, fishing or having huge cricket matches when the tide was out.
Always thought it was another of his 'stories'
Off topic the next bit ........
He also told me that at a similar age he was befriended by an old fisherman who would let him clean his nets out with him for a ha`penny. He had been on the lifeboat that sailed out to the Indianna in 1901 and spent hours telling my old man of the night it collided with another boat in the fog. The Orange wreck, (on its way back from Sicilly) as it is quite often known around our area sunk about a mile off the shore and was carrying a cargo of oranges and lemons. The whole of Worthing flocked to the beach when all the fruit got washed ashore and soon got sick of the glut of jams and marmalades made from the fruit in the coming months.
Interesting pics below.

THIS IS FINDON VILLAGE - The Wreck Indiana and the Findon Orange

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here