Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Big clubs playing their B team in Europe

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A 4-1 win for Chelsea away, playing mostly reserves and with our ex 14 year old wonder kid on the bench,

Spurs making nine changes including a debut for Mikey Moore.

Don’t remember us doing that last season, or being able to. Did we qualify a season or two too early?

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
A 4-1 win for Chelsea away, playing mostly reserves and with our ex 14 year old wonder kid on the bench,

Spurs making nine changes including a debut for Mikey Moore.

Don’t remember us doing that last season, or being able to. Did we qualify a season or two too early?
To be fair this year it’s a shambles, this massive league thing is a disgrace

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

I don’t think it is. I was of the same opinion but the group stages always lead to a few dead rubber games. This should have a fair few teams fighting to the end for qualification. I personally think it will make things more exciting. The champions league is as pretty much pointless previously until the knockouts.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Don’t think it’s relevant to our European campaign. The European clubs pretty much always seem to play their best team in Europe as it’s the be all and end all no matter which of the 3 competitions they’re in.

For Spurs and Chelsea, the Europa league and conference leagues aren’t seen as big of deal as they are to us as anything less than Champions League they probably view as sub par, hence the rotated teams it’s most likely more important to focus on a strong league position, thus hopefully Champions League qualification, than it is focusing on these ‘second rate’ competitions

Shaktarman

Sep 19, 2022
I was looking at the ‘table’ thing earlier - there’s pretty much guaranteed to be a large number of teams qualifying / missing out due to goal difference which is absolutely silly. Pointless change and just greed - there’s already too many games too.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Spurs resting their star players, so ready for sundays thrashing of crystal palace.
Palace are going to struggle to rest players when they’re competing in Europe next season, which will hamper their title push

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I don’t think it is. I was of the same opinion but the group stages always lead to a few dead rubber games. This should have a fair few teams fighting to the end for qualification. I personally think it will make things more exciting. The champions league is as pretty much pointless previously until the knockouts.
It will mean the opposite.

More games means less chance of jeopardy as well as the majority of teams going through to the next round.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
36 teams are playing 144 games to eliminate 12 of them. It's bound to be boring. And teams will only need (per simulations) 9 points to qualify, from 8 games, so the richest clubs could play the reserves for all 8 games and still qualify with something to spare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here