Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Anti-virus?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Getting a new PC and need to chuck on an anti virus,i know there are some free ones you can download but i dont mind paying for one.I know some slow your machine down as well.Can anyone recommend a decent one?
Many thanks.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I use Microsoft Onecare, had no problems with it, doesn't seem to slow anything down.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I installed AVG for somebody recently and they still go hit. I use Kasperski which I paid £18 for on Ebay, it's AV, Firewall and Spyware in one and is recommended by PC Pro Magazine hence my choice.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Norton 360
Spyhunter
Both good.
Spyhunter is scary - the first time I used it (after I paid for it) it identified 309 nasties on my machine

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Just downloaded the free 30 trial of Kapersky to see what it's like.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I went to Kaspersky when I moved to Vista, basically my old stuff was from Ashampoo which some components didn't support Vista. I've had no problems with it and it did come with a good recommendation.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure how good it is in the anti-virus league table, but avast was the free download recommended by NSC last time the question was asked, or maybe the time before. Only MYOB knows has the ultimate knowledge, but I'd say that avast is alright :thumbsup:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Avast is as good as AVG if not better but neither is full internet security, thus you don't get a firewall or spyware detector. That's because they're free although you can buyt a full version of both.

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Trust me NOD32, I have been building and cleaning crap of computers for people for years and nod is the best out there, it's not free but it is the best.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Antivir is good, AVG is shoddy. Recently had a false positive on my friend's machine that crippled his windows install.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
If you're going to pay - Kapersky is what I consider to be the best out there. Not only does it offer virus protection it'll also let you know about threats in any applications you have installed - so keeping everything tip-top. For £2 a month it's very good value and they're really pushing to get more of the corporate market - so they HAVE to be good.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
If you're going to pay - Kapersky is what I consider to be the best out there. Not only does it offer virus protection it'll also let you know about threats in any applications you have installed - so keeping everything tip-top. For £2 a month it's very good value and they're really pushing to get more of the corporate market - so they HAVE to be good.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Trust me NOD32, I have been building and cleaning crap of computers for people for years and nod is the best out there, it's not free but it is the best.

That's just you opinion and I would bet I have been 'cleaning crap off computers' for longer than you :laugh:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for all your replies ....now i'm really confused!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here