Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] At what age should kids have smartphones - if at all?

Should kids under 12 have unlimited use of smartphones?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • No

Votes: 69 80.2%
  • Yes but restricted to certain times of the day

Votes: 16 18.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I found this story a little sad. I have mixed views about kids as young as 11 using smartphones especially at school, in the least I think they should be limited to certain times of the day given most kids seem use their phones to access social media which can have all sorts of mental health risks associated with it.

I can see their use for safety/keeping in touch with parents but do they need to have them whilst on school grounds?

At the end of the day, I think it is up to parents but should a child be disadvantaged/made to feel excluded in an educational environment because they don’t have one?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Before 12, yes (secondary school starts before that for most). With restrictions obviously.

But more important than restrictions, it should be with education on the apps etc.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You shouldn't need them at all in an educational environment for educational purposes. Smartphones should really be renamed "mobile bullying devices" for kids then maybe they wouldn't be so keen to get one.
Yep.

Mobile POS.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I found this story a little sad. I have mixed views about kids as young as 11 using smartphones especially at school, in the least I think they should be limited to certain times of the day given most kids seem use their phones to access social media which can have all sorts of mental health risks associated with it.

I can see their use for safety/keeping in touch with parents but do they need to have them whilst on school grounds?

At the end of the day, I think it is up to parents but should a child be disadvantaged/made to feel excluded in an educational environment because they don’t have one?

Stupid for a school to put on a lesson requiring the kids have a smartphone.

That has nothing to do with whether kids should have a phone. Ours (age 13 going on 14) has a good phone and has her nose in it all day. As others have doubtless said, yes with restrictions.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If children require a smartphone to do to class work, the school should have a stock of them and they should be issued by the school at start of lesson and taken back at end of lesson.
Precisely.

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
We got ours mobiles when they entered year 6 as they would be walking to and from school. The devices were restricted to just SMS and Phone apps between the hours of 9 and 3 and also after 9.30PM on weekdays (the night time cut off has been extended as they age).

I am in agreement with a previous poster about them being mobile bullying devices. Fortunately, my eldest is approaching 18 and it seems it is nowhere near as toxic as when she was younger. I will be keeping an eye on the youngest as she wouldn't say boo to a goose and would struggle if cyber bullying rears it's head.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there two seperate issues here: having a phone and expectation of a phone for a class.

having a phone at secondary age or even younger is fine with a bit of supervision. i suppose not all will supervise, but nothing you can do there.

expectation of phone for a lesson is daft and full of challenges: do they have a phone, is it up to spec, does it have data, etc. and goes against every discussion about keeping phones out of classrooms. generally no lesson should be planned without school providing all necessary equipment. also homework, dont assume everyone has a laptop or access to online.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Phones are more prevalent.

Learning difficulties, attention problems, and neuro diversity is more prevalent.

Any correlation?

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Will get my eldest a smartphone the Summer before he starts secondary school. And I will definitely check it regularly and restrict it as necessary.

Sad as it is, today’s secondary school kids without phones will be the weird kids who didn’t have TV’s when we were kids.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It’s called parenting. Saying no to your darling cum sprouts. Something lots of parents struggle with nowadays. Not all, but lots.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Stupid for a school to put on a lesson requiring the kids have a smartphone.

That has nothing to do with whether kids should have a phone. Ours (age 13 going on 14) has a good phone and has her nose in it all day. As others have doubtless said, yes with restrictions.
Well no but the thread asks several questions.

The BBC story is just a hook to ask broader question about mobile phone use if you look at the poll answers

My own feeling is that kids shouldn’t have unlimited use of a smartphone under the age of 12 and that they don’t need them when on school property as I suggested in the OP.

If teachers want to use mobile devices for internet access in a lesson, then the school should provide them, hand them out at the beginning of the class then collect them again. ( If they can’t afford them and need kids to find countries then use a frickin globe fhs! 🙂)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well no but the thread asks several questions.

The BBC story is just a hook to ask broader question about mobile phone use if you look at the poll answers

My own feeling is that kids shouldn’t have unlimited use of a smartphone under the age of 12 and that they don’t need them when on school property as I suggested in the OP.

If teachers want to use mobile devices for internet access in a lesson, then the school should provide them, hand them out at the beginning of the class then collect them again. ( If they can’t afford them and need kids to find countries then use a frickin globe fhs! 🙂)
Fair enough. You know how easily I get wrongfooted :wink:

Agree with your assessment.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Adults are bad enough. A MAJORITY of adults, not even an exaggeration, possibly even an extreme majority, are ADDICTED to the dopamine responses felt by clicking through their numerous apps. Whether it's social media (NSC counts, but mostly TikTok, Reddit, FaceBook, Insta etc), or banking apps (I know people who continually check their investments, banks, pension performance), games or whatever.... it has become an epidemic that is destroying relationships, communities and mental health.

Teaching children this behaviour from a young age is going to lead to a mental health disaster unseen before, and destruction of our social contract.

We should ALL be taught to use our smart phones less, not just children.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here