Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we too 'soft'?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think it's a trait we developed under Potter. We don't contest decisions too much, we're very rarely in the ref's face... While that's all quite admirable, etc, I think we loose out because if it. The pen yesterday - Toney clearly had hold of Veltman's shirt before throwing himself to the floor.

If we were Man U, we'd be swarming all over the ref demanding it's overturned. Us? Just a shrug of the shoulders. The fact we just accepted it meant it was not even mentioned on Sky or in match reports.

And yes, it would affect the VAR decision too, if one team clearly thought the decision was wrong.

The penalty was the decisive moment in that game. We should have done more to try to get it overturned.

I hope it's something RDZ will change.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think it's a trait we developed under Potter. We don't contest decisions too much, we're very rarely in the ref's face... While that's all quite admirable, etc, I think we loose out because if it. The pen yesterday - Toney clearly had hold of Veltman's shirt before throwing himself to the floor.

If we were Man U, we'd be swarming all over the ref demanding it's overturned. Us? Just a shrug of the shoulders. The fact we just accepted it meant it was not even mentioned on Sky or in match reports.

And yes, it would affect the VAR decision too, if one team clearly thought the decision was wrong.

The penalty was the decisive moment in that game. We should have done more to try to get it overturned.

I hope it's something RDZ will change.
Two tiny things . . .

It WAS a penalty kick, yes Toney went down rather easily, but so do all forwards in the penalty area in that situation given half a chance.

Secondly, once a referee points to the penalty spot he isn't goling to change his mind, not unless VAR gets in the way and directs him to look at the monito, and that would only happen upon VAR intervention, and players won't be able to get into the ear of the official at Stockley Park, however loud they scream. .

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
It was a penalty. Even if the ref hadn't given it, I suspect VAR would have referred him to go and have a look.

If it had happened to Welbeck, there would be no one on here saying we were lucky to get a penalty.

Shouting in the face of the ref would have achieved nothing other than a few more needless yellow cards.
De Zerbi couldn't complain either he was already on a yellow.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
The last 2 games we have played ‘tougher’ opposition in my opinion. Both Spurs and Brentford roughed us up and got niggly. We have never liked playing against teams like that.

In my opinion yes, we are too soft. Hopefully De Zerbs will put some aggression into our game like Conte has with Spurs. It’s worked for them as they look at much better side now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brentford was the first match so far this season when I thought “we’re missing Bissouma”
Instead of trying to unpick a defence with intricate passing on the edge of the opposition's box, you'd rather someone just lash it into row Z from 30 yards out?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I’ve only finally been able to see the highlights of Brentford today. Odd penalty. Can see why it was given, but Toney trying to pull Veltman’s shirt off his back meant it could have easily fallen into the “6 of one…..” category.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Last season and so far in this one we seem to be getting in the ref’s face more than we used to (which wasn’t hard as never used to at all). Usually seems to be Welbeck, Lallana, Veltman but others too. Definitely don’t want to one of those teams that all crowd a ref at every decision but a bit more in the ref’s face would be good.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Instead of trying to unpick a defence with intricate passing on the edge of the opposition's box, you'd rather someone just lash it into row Z from 30 yards out?
Same result really.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I hope we become a little bit more "wise" under RDZ.

Cruyff's signing of Stoichkov added a bit of mala leche to his Barca team and it felt like Potter was missing his bad milk at the Albion to take us to the next level. We've come unstuck at the hands of two of those players so far this season (Mitro and Toney).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here