Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion App commentary

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
has something happened to the commentary on the app ? Apparently hasn't worked last couple games for my friend who lives abroad

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I've found (in Brighton either at home or in town), I can no longer listen to an away game commentary as it stops as soon as the phone screen goes dark or if I go to another app. This wasn't the case before. I think it's because the commentary is now in the 'video' section of the app, so it's treated the same way as interrupting your viewing of a video.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
I have also have this, your screen must stay on the app whilst listening which means you cannot use your phone for anything else.

I tried to listen when away on holiday recently and had the same problem unless screen on whole time - not great for listening on headphones whilst wandering about tourists places Since the app was rejigged and you now have the animation at the start it has gone significantly downhill.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Find it annoying you can’t do anything else on the phone when the audio plays, if you do it cuts out

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Listened to it yesterday whilst driving from New Jersey to Pennsylvania with no problems.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's really annoying as it's basically the BBC Radio Sussex commentary. You need a DAB radio or app.
It is the BBC Radio Sussex commentary! It's just that the radio signal is jammed during the match if you're outside the county - you can only get it through the internet - on your smart phone, or on a laptop/tablet (if you've signed up for it).

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I was on the app, signed into my account. Got the commentary perfectly. Not that after half time I wanted to carry on listening but we persevered 😄

jatw

Sep 29, 2014
I tried it the other weekend for the Chelsea match. It used to play fine for me, but (I think) since the app redesign it just won’t play. Shame, enjoyed the 3pm dog walk listening to away matches. Hope it comes backs

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I have good news, and it reflects really well on the club. I emailed PBOBE about this issue and had a reply the next day from Paul Camillin to say that, in response, the Albion digital team has asked the app provider to have 'Playback SDK' built and tested before the mens' and womens' first team games on 19 Oct, *as their top priority*, so that fans can listen while the device is locked as a radio player. So I confidently expect to be listening to the in-app commentary from Newcastle on my way home from the 1230 kickoff WFT game v Man Utd at Falmer.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
This is now sorted. It's not quite as easy as it was in previous seasons, but you can now listen without have to keep the app open and the screen on. I did yesterday. Click on 'listen live', toggle the sound on, touch the 'picture in picture' icon, and they you can navigate away while the commentary continues.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
This is now sorted. It's not quite as easy as it was in previous seasons, but you can now listen without have to keep the app open and the screen on. I did yesterday. Click on 'listen live', toggle the sound on, touch the 'picture in picture' icon, and they you can navigate away while the commentary continues.
Really? I could have sworn I tried that yesterday on my Samsung and it didn't work.

seagurl

Mar 21, 2012
Didn't work for me either

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Really? I could have sworn I tried that yesterday on my Samsung and it didn't work.
I did it on my iPhone - it didn't seem to work first time but then I realised that it was defaulting to 'muted' so I had to unmute before doing the 'picture in picture' thing. I hope that helps but I guess there's no way to test it until the next game you're not at

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here