Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora: let's be realistic....

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We all knew Bobby would go at some point, and given the cr@ppy state of the transfer market, I'm not prepared to lay into the board on this one.

Knight couldn't have known last year when he turned down £3 million or whatever it was that the market would collapse in this way. As nobody else was bidding for Bobby, realistically we had to take the money or end up with a disillusioned player next season, who might not be too bothered on the pitch, scoring fewer goals, and watching his value drop even further.

I'm with Coppell, get the deal done, hopefully have a few pennies to spend on new players (I'm not optimistic that he'll get anything like the whole amount!) and move on. Teams have sold their best players in the past and got on just fine, so let's be positive and wait and see.

I trust Coppell to find some decent players, everyone he brought in last season had an impact, as opposed to the players brought in by his predecessor.....

I believe the expression is Keep the Faith. And thanks a million, Bobby.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I seem to recall Coppel saying some time ago, that in his opinion it didn't allways work that a player who is sold to finance the team, actually benefits the team in the long run.

Football is very short term, with fans requiring quick fixes for their hard earned cash they pay over. Witness the fact that if we havn't had a shot for 5 minutes the crowd get restless!

I am deeply disturbed about this notion that coppell is not going to get the full amout of the fee to spend( less Brizzle Rovers cut of course)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well I know as much as you do, but say we end up with £1 million after paying off the carrot crunchers. I don't honestly see Coppell being able to splash a million on players, some of it would go on wages for any new guys rather than just the fee. I'd love to be proved wrong of course...

We also need to clear the wage bill of pie munching wasters like Butters and David Lee. Someone must want to take them off our hands and free up some more cash. Hello? Anyone?? Guy Butters, Mr Pardew?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
dave the gaffer said:
I am deeply disturbed about this notion that coppell is not going to get the full amout of the fee to spend( less Brizzle Rovers cut of course)

I just think that is the reality though. The money we see relating to transfers is not the whole cost, we buy a player for £200k, there is the sign-on fee and wages to consider.

If Coppell spends £500k in transfer fees, I will be amazed.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Be interesting to see what happens with Hunt now. I'd have thought we could sign him up and afford to pay what the tribunal come up with, as surely it would be no more than £100k.

As a big strong striker to the squad and maybe a centre-half, and I can still see us comfortably in the play-oofs.

KEEP THE FAITH.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We wont sign any players for a fee.
Get real, all it means is we can offer a few decent players a decent wage.
The days of paying for players has gone, escpecially in the lower divisions, it simply isnt required.

Keep the faith.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Marshy said:
We wont sign any players for a fee.
Get real, all it means is we can offer a few decent players a decent wage.
The days of paying for players has gone, escpecially in the lower divisions, it simply isnt required.

Keep the faith.

There will be the odd payment, such as for Steve Hunt, but remember the lower leagues you buy potential like Cullip for £50k. That's the sort of deals I expect.

However, there are still some great looking players on a free that, as you say, we may now be able to afford their wages. How about Alun Armstrong??

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Gritt23 said:
Be interesting to see what happens with Hunt now. I'd have thought we could sign him up and afford to pay what the tribunal come up with, as surely it would be no more than £100k.

As a big strong striker to the squad and maybe a centre-half, and I can still see us comfortably in the play-oofs.

KEEP THE FAITH.

I'm sure this is why the fee is such a mystery. If it's announced that we've got a couple of mill in, the price for every player we go in for will automatically be inflated. May it please whatever powers there be, the club are merely playing their cards close to their collective chests on what we've got for Bob so squad additions (I won't use the word 'replacements', such a thing would be impossible) won't prove to expensive.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
As posted days ago by Don T:

Heard second hand from another strong source, who has ties with a director who would know his onions when it comes to finances that spurs are"running rings"round the club with regards to the sale of BZ, the source wouldn't elaborate on what they meant exactly but when i asked if he (BZ) would go, their reply was "he's got to,they're(the club) in stoock"
This would explain why there's been no new players this summer.
Heard from another strong source during the week that DK was in talks with Bristol Rovers about "sorting out" the sell on clause for BZ.
Believe it or not,there is something in this and it is worrying.
I for one think that if the board were more open with the fans with regard to the financial state of the club, we would be more sympathetic to them.

We are in the shit!:nono:

f***ing great job Dick Tight is doing!:mad:

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
I am gutted but am trying to be realistic. If Matt Holland only went for 750,000 then 1.5 or 2 mil doesn't seem that bad.
Think Dick Knight has got some explaining to do though :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here