Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Team to beat Spain

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Just a bit of fun this. A lot is being made of this current Spain side even going as far as rating them the best of all time, and maybe they are.

So with that in mind can you put together a team of all time greats that you think could wipe the floor with them?

You can play any formation you like but remember to try and have a balanced team, 6 world class strikers might look good on paper but in reality would obviously get whipped.

You can go for current players though I've gone with past legends in my line up.

Also you can have 4 on the bench, one goalkeeper, one defender one midfielder and one striker.

Here's mine. I've gone 4-2-3-1

--------------------------G. Banks-------------------------

B. Vogts---------B. Moore-------------F. Beckenbauer-------P.Maldini

-------------F. Rijkaard-------------Z.Zidane-------------------

----Zico--------------D.Maradona---------------J.Cruyff

----------------------Pele----------------------

Bench:

P.Jennings
F. Baresi
G. Best
F. Puskas

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Didnt we beat Spain earlier in the year?

So the answer to the original question, I guess, could be:

Hart

Glen Johnson
Lescott
Jagielka
Cole

Walcott (Downing 46)
Jones (Rodwell 56)
Parker (Walker 85)
Milner (Adam Johnson 76)
Lampard (Barry 56)

Bent (Welbeck 63)

Shame about the number of subs, really.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Lol! I thought it would be obvious I meant to beat them in a knock out tournament scenario

.....Then again this is NSC so perhaps I should have laid it out in a more simple format

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just a bit of fun this. A lot is being made of this current Spain side even going as far as rating them the best of all time, and maybe they are.

So with that in mind can you put together a team of all time greats that you think could wipe the floor with them?

You can play any formation you like but remember to try and have a balanced team, 6 world class strikers might look good on paper but in reality would obviously get whipped.

You can go for current players though I've gone with past legends in my line up.

Also you can have 4 on the bench, one goalkeeper, one defender one midfielder and one striker.

Here's mine. I've gone 4-2-3-1

--------------------------G. Banks-------------------------

B. Vogts---------B. Moore-------------F. Beckenbauer-------P.Maldini

-------------F. Rijkaard-------------Z.Zidane-------------------

----Zico--------------D.Maradona---------------J.Cruyff

----------------------Pele----------------------

Bench:

P.Jennings
F. Baresi
G. Best
F. Puskas

Too hard to judge over that many decades, fitness is so much higher nowadays, and Spain's passing/movement wouldn't be like much they'd seen before (yes I am aware of the dutch total football of the 70s, but watching back it is played nowhere near as quickly as Spain play it).

I think Spain would still beat them, not easily but I think they'd win it, asking too much of Rijkaard.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Your side would split into two teams effectively, with that magnificent (apart from that cheating, handballing, permed drug taker of course) front four finding themselves a very long way from the rest of the side. The midfield two would find themselves completely overrun and Spain would pick them apart pretty comfortably.

Regrettably, the right answer was 'Switzerland 2010 World Cup' - snuff them out completely and you've got a chance. It's why some people think they're boring – some sides are very, very good at nullifying them, just not good enough at it to beat them.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Kuszczak
Bruno - Greer - El Abd - Painter
Bridcutt - Dicker
Buckley - Vicente - KLL
Mackail Smith

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Felix

Carlos Alberto, Brito, Silva Piazza, Everaldo

Clodoaldo

Jairzinho, Gerson, Rivelinho

Tostao, Pele

1970 World Cup - played 6, won 6, scored 19.

Their back four and goalkeeper were nothing special, so they figured that all-out attack would be the best form of defence. It was.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I'm going to pick a team of the best non-Spanish players around today. Maybe they could take on Spain in some kind of charity match?

GK: Buffon

DR: Dani Alves
DC: Kompany
DC: Chiellini
DL: Lahm

MC: Pirlo
MC: Yaya Toure

AMR: Ronaldo
AMC: Ozil
AML: Neymar

ST: Messi

Now that would be a fun game!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
From The Euros I would have picked a squad of:

Hart

Perreira (or Johnson purely for his recovery pace)
Bruno Alves
Pepe
Contrao

Parker
De Rossi

Ronaldo
Pirlo
Scweinsteiger

ZLATAN

The portuguese defence (with Real madrid influence) have already shown they can defend brilliantly.

De Rossi and Parker sit in from to break up the attacks with ease.

The Next you have SCHWEINY and Pirlo in front of the to play it to ZLATAN and Ronny who can do the damage.

I'm bloody brilliant sometimes.

SuperWill

Feb 17, 2012
Hove
I am going to say the Spanish bench would probably give the 1st team a run for their money.

Their strength in depth is ridiciluous and uparralled.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Felix

Carlos Alberto, Brito, Silva Piazza, Everaldo

Clodoaldo

Jairzinho, Gerson, Rivelinho

Tostao, Pele

1970 World Cup - played 6, won 6, scored 19.

Their back four and goalkeeper were nothing special, so they figured that all-out attack would be the best form of defence. It was.

with Banksy in goal, job done.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
clearly many are ignoring the Chelsea CL semi games. its not just about their players quality its about the tactics. what use is Pele and Maradonna if they cant get on the ball? they will press you deep and for 90 minutes. you need to play something like 6 2 2, with Drogba and a 20yo Michael Owen up front.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
clearly many are ignoring the Chelsea CL semi games. its not just about their players quality its about the tactics. what use is Pele and Maradonna if they cant get on the ball? they will press you deep and for 90 minutes. you need to play something like 6 2 2, with Drogba and a 20yo Michael Owen up front.
Clearly you are ignoring that the exception isn't the rule. It's the exception. Also, if Messi didn't miss a penalty (incredibly unusual), if Fabregas didn't miss a sitter at Stamford Bridge, just the two most obvious examples, it wouldn't have happened. Those are just the two most obvius chances, there were others. That's a game where Chelsea were very very good, Barcelona were far below their best, and Barcelona still should have won.

Besides which it doesn't really go along with the spirit of the thread, which is a team that would beat Spain on style and ability.

My current rest of the world team to beat Spain:
Buffon
Alves Kompany Greer Marcelo
Schweinsteiger Bridcutt Pirlo
Messi Van Persie Ronaldo​

Easy.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hagerty F; Hagerty R, Tompkins; Noble, Carrick, Robson; Crapper, Dewhurst, McIntyre, Treadmore, Davitt

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here