Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Manager(s) Of The Year

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
For me it's gotta be:

Joint 1st - Eddie Howe (Bournemouth)...following an excellent great escape campaign last season, this time out he's steered The Cherries to an auto promotion via 3rd place on an absolute shoestring, operating for most of the season under a transfer embargo that saw them prevented from signing the later Swindon 'discovery' Charlie Austin. But despite that setback and having to frequently announce an under-manned bench due to simple lack of numbers, Howe (still in his early 30s) has worked wonders to achieve the highly unlikely.

Very well done and we look forward to a good awayday in Dorset next campaign.

Joint 1st - Roy Hodgson (Fulham)... inspired his charges to an improbable Euro final via impressive wins over Shaktah Donesck, Juve, Wolfsburg and Hamburg to accompany a more than comfortable league campaign that saw The Cottagers (*titter*) over-achieve an upper mid-table position for most of the season....they were even spitting distance from the CL spots at one point.

Future England manager and well worth it come the post-Capello era.

Joint 3rd - Keith Hill (Rochdale)...achieved the seemingly unachievable by steering 'Dale to their first promotion in 41 years and first season up in L1 (as now known) for 36 years! For that alone he deserves credit but he's done it on a modest budget and only after keeping his side motivated following two successive play-off failures. No easy feat!

Joint 3rd - Harry Redknapp (Spurs)...has transformed the Lilywhites fortunes with a largely British backbone, winning mentality and steely resolve that has seen them at their highest for some 14(?) years, defying the predicted Liverpool / Man City challenge for 4th spot to sneak in against the odds (especially given recent fixtures), although after the time of writing they may well f*** it all up and flop like an impotent thingy!

5th - Mick McCarthy (Wolves)...excellent work in not only avoiding relegation but doing so comfortably and in some respects with style!

Last edited:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Yup Gus is on the list too I reckon. Very good turnaround in a debut season that required quite some surgery from The Doctor (GP....get it?!)....*coat already on*

Last edited:

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Good thread.

Premiership- Hodgson, Redknapp, McLeish
Championship - Holloway, Di Matteo, Hughton
League One - Lambert, Wilson, Tisdale
League Two - Howe, Hill, Adams

Last edited:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Avram Grant - I have really respected the dignity and professionalism that he has shown, even in the face of seemingly insummountable problems at Pompey.

To lead them to the FA Cup final is a great achievement IMHO.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Avram Grant - I have really respected the dignity and professionalism that he has shown, even in the face of seemingly insummountable problems at Pompey.

To lead them to the FA Cup final is a great achievement IMHO.

He has shown no dignity whatsoever and spent the last couple of months complaiing about everybody picking on poor Portsmouth.

One of the most remarkable achievements must be by Ian Holloway to get Blackpool to the verge of the Championship play offs with limited resources and cash.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
He has shown no dignity whatsoever and spent the last couple of months complaiing about everybody picking on poor Portsmouth.

I would say that instigating a move amongst himself and the players to club together and save the jobs of some of the backroom staff was a pretty dignified way of dealing with their problems.

He could have not given a shit, after all he doesn't need the money.

My thoughts, anyway.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The award should go to whoever is in charge of the south cockernee scummers if they lose on Sunday. Well done, Agent Whoever.

(I'm afraid I have no interest in knowing who exactly is there these days - whover it is is scum.)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Rumble.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Prem: Hodgson, by a mile. Honourable mention for McLeish.
Champ: Hughton. Dragging that rabble back into a semblance of a football team and getting them back up was really something - an achievement wildly underestimated because they're a 'big' club.
L1: Have to say Lambert. I know he had quality players but look at the start they had. Honourable mention to Tisdale at Exeter for keeping them up, too, should he end up doing so.
L2: Eddie Howe. Overall winner. Unbelievable what he's achieved there.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Roy Hodgson - turning the average into something special and resurrecting players careers in doing so.

Eddie Howe-dini - master of great escapes and success despite unbelievable odds against them.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Good read Cap'n.

My vote goes to:

- Hodgson
- Holloway
- Tisdale (Astonishing job)
- Howe

Has been a good year for managers of the sides facing adversity, less strong year for sides expected to do well (bar Newcastle).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here