Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Favourite Landmark - World Edition

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
As per Algie's thread, I thought I'd extend the boundaries a little. Tough choice for me, but for sheer wow factor it has to be this, can't wait until it's complete:

Sagrada-Familia-.jpg

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Sagrada Familia?

Certainly does take your breath away when you see it in the flesh.

P.S - Edited as I didn't know the first name of it!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid, what IS that?

Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.

Gaudi designed it and work started in his lifetime....not anywhere close to finished yet.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Gaudi designed it and work started in his lifetime....not anywhere close to finished yet.

Must admit I've always wanted to see that since I saw it some travel programme awhile back.

Liked seeing this in Paris up on the opposite hill to the road as we made our way towards the centre with the sun behind it:

250px-Sacre_Coeur_2009-02-28.JPG

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Just looked it up, the building was started in 1882 and the current estimated date of completion (very much subject to change) is sometime in 2026.....makes our 14 year wait for a new home look like a drop in the ocean really.

Just looked it up, the building was started in 1882 and the current estimated date of completion (very much subject to change) is sometime in 2026.....makes our 14 year wait for a new home look like a drop in the ocean really.
That's nothing compared with Milan cathedral. Started in 1386. Finished on 6 January 1965, a mere 579 years later.

800px-Milan_Cathedral_from_Piazza_del_Duomo.jpg

MaggieT83

Oct 26, 2010
Pulborough
Saw the La Sagrada Familia a few months ago and although its impressive I personally thought it was pretty ugly. Timbo's pic looks amazing

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Black Hills South Dakota ,the peace and tranquility ruined by my gunfire !! Would love to unleash that weapon against the palace pikey hordes - only joking of course !!
American Civil War Musket powder and ball shot.

Attachments

• img062.jpg
    img062.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
An obvious choice but this building is amazing, and it becomes even more of a 'landmark' when you consider how close it was to being torn down by the Khmer Rouge:

cambodia_angkor-wat_majesty.jpg

This is a personal favourite building of mine, Cologne Cathedral:

domsuedseite.jpg

The Menin Gate, Ypres.
Theipval Memorial. Near Arras.

between them carry the names of 126,000 names of soldiers of the Great War with no known grave.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I've probably got loads, but right now I'll plump for this one, just because it's visible from my balcony.

Attachments

• Burj_Al_Arab_1-1280x720.jpg
    Burj_Al_Arab_1-1280x720.jpg
    676.9 KB · Views: 139

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I climbed (up the steps) to the top of Köln/Cologne Cathedral. It really is an assult on the legs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here