Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You Won't See These Again

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Having watched the Albion since the mid 1960s it's interesting to see how many "traditions" in football, especially those at the Goldstone, have disappeared.

Anyone remember these :

Leather Seat Cushions - to stop you getting bum ache when sitting in the West Stand. I think you paid 1/- (5 pence) for a game. Brilliant missiles for throwing at the end of the match if the ref was crap.

Transfer Gate - depending on which end the Albion were attacking you could move from the North to the South Stand (and vice versa) by going through a gate at the north end of the East Terrace. Can't remember if you had to pay extra.

Half-Time Entrance - situated at the south-east corner for those fans who could only watch the second half! Seriously, I had to work Saturdays so the only way to watch the boys was on my very late lunch hour.

Rossettes - At every game there were a number of blokes with cardboard stands selling rossettes of all the clubs, including the Albion. Does anyone wear a rossette anymore?

Shirt Numbers - 1 to 11/12. Never see the like again.

Crowd Packers - Early form of stewards. For the really big games, they squeezed you in until it was impossible to move. Health and Safety - pah!

There must be loads more - anyone with any favourites? :)

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Dunno if they still sell those blue sponge hands with the pointing finger pointing upwards...

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The bloke walking around the perimeter at the Goldstone selling hats, scarves, rosettes etc. out of a tray. Not forgetting the old boardman as well.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
The gates being opened ten minutes before full time? I can remember playing football in Hove Park then rushing over to see the last few minutes!:)

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Bovril in the West. I didn't think it was possible to get water hotter than 100 degrees celsius, somehow the catering achieved it. :shrug:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
'For the really big games, they squeezed you in until it was impossible to move. Health and Safety - pah!'

I remember being so packed into the 'Chicken Run' that my feet didn't touch the ground at times. You could surge foreward despite the barriers-fun at the time-now Im older-frightening!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here