Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Less than 6 hours

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You must get 7 hour sleep a night, no more, no less, so do not be a lazy bastard and get 10 hours and do not be a workoholic and get 5. How much do you get ?.

Bad sleeping 'doubles heart risk'

Sleep plays a vital role in good health
Researchers say both too much and too little sleep is linked to a doubled risk of fatal cardiovascular disease.
Teams from the University of Warwick and University College London examined sleep patterns and death rates over two decades among 10,308 civil servants.

They found a doubled risk among those who cut their sleeping from seven to five hours a night compared to those who stuck to seven hours a night.

But the risk was similar for those who increased to at least eight hours.

Our findings indicate that consistently sleeping around seven hours per night is optimal for health

Professor Francesco Cappuccio
University of Warwick

The research, to be presented to the British Sleep Society, was based on data taken in 1985-88 and on follow up information collected in 1992-93.

The researchers took into account other possible factors such age, sex, marital status, employment grade, smoking status and physical activity.

Once they had adjusted for those factors they were able to isolate the effect that changes in sleep patterns over five years had on mortality rates 11-17 years later.

Those who cut their sleeping from seven to five hours a night had twice the risk of a fatal cardiovascular problem of those who stuck to the recommended seven hours a night - and a 1.7 increased risk of death from all causes.

Disturbed sleep common

Researcher Professor Francesco Cappuccio said: "Fewer hours sleep and greater levels of sleep disturbance have become widespread in industrialised societies.

"This change, largely the result of sleep curtailment to create more time for leisure and shift-work, has meant that reports of fatigue, tiredness and excessive daytime sleepiness are more common than a few decades ago.

"Sleep represents the daily process of physiological restitution and recovery, and lack of sleep has far-reaching effects."

Curiously, the researchers also found that those individuals who increased their sleep to eight hours or more a night were more than twice as likely to die during the period of the study as those who had not changed their habit.

Professor Cappuccio said lack of sleep had been linked to an increased risk of weight gain, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes.

However, he said the link between too much sleep and poor health was less clear, although he suggested that staying in bed for prolonged periods could be a sign of depression, or, in some cases, cancer-related fatigue.

"Our findings indicate that consistently sleeping around seven hours per night is optimal for health and a sustained reduction may predispose to ill-health."

Individual need

Dr Neil Stanley, a sleep expert from Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, said while public health messages focused on diet and exercise, people were given very little information about the need to get proper amounts of sleep.

"This study is yet more evidence of the importance of getting sleep - and the right amount of sleep for you," he said.

"Sleep need is like height or shoe size: we all have an individual one, and if we sleep less or more than that then there are consequences to pay."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I reckon you will die no matter how many hours of sleep you get.

I'd have voted for "Fewer than 6 hours" but there's no option for that. :)

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i get around 7, which i guess makes me something of a stalion

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Where's the option for "I'm a parent of a young 'un - what is this SLEEP mullarkey?"

You said it.

I need 8-9 hours. I get about 6 hours of broken sleep between a toddler who shares our bed, another child who has night terrors and a son who thinks 5am is a good time to start the day.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Tried 5-Hydroxytryptophan? Its natural (ish..) and meant to alleviate night terrors; worked on my nephew.

No, we haven't tried that. I just read up a bit about it. We have an appointment at the sleep clinic this week, so will mention it. Right now we'll try just about anything. Thanks.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, I go to bed at midnight and get up at 5:30. I'm going to die ...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I sleep at work, much more time efficient.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Blimey, I go to bed at midnight and get up at 5:30. I'm going to die ...

Haven't you seen those signs by the side of the Motorway saying " tiredness can kill " ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here