Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yesterday was probably the most embarrassing day as an Albion supporter

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
If we lost 6-1 to Braintree Town in the FA Cup with our strongest team playing, then yeah you'd be embarrassed. But we lost to a Premier League club playing an incredibly strong team with good players. Yeah there were 3 own goals, but it isnt as embarrassing.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As many have rightly said, get real. the reason it was embarrassing - if indeed it was - was because it was a nationally-televised FA Cup fifth-round tie against one of the traditional giants of the British game - a match we'd earned by, er, winning a nationally-televised FA Cup fourth round tie against one of the traditional giants of the British game. Personally I think it's great that the club has reached a point where we're shocked by a heavy defeat at Anfield.

We've had worse, but no-one noticed because we were labouring in obscurity. Now we're a club that attracts headlines once again. Of course, if you'd rather go back to playing in the lower leagues, where we can slip quietly out of the cup in the first or second round ...

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Sunday was nowhere NEAR the most embarrassing game. We gave it a go and came up short, nothing embarrassing there. Unlucky with the number of own goals. Gus could have left El-Abd on and we might have only lost 4-1, but what difference does that really make in a cup game? We ended up with 2 at the back and Noone trying to cover left back, and it was only ever going to end in death or glory.

No embarrassment whatsover for me

Yup. As soon as Gus made that change it was clear he was going all out, 3-1 down and nothing to lose. It could go one of two ways from there and it didn't go as we would have liked, but no shame in it. He took a gamble and lost, it happens.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
'Kinell! It wasn't embarrassing at all. We lost 6-1 because Liverpool, a very good side, played as well as they can. If we'd bothered to show up for the Wrexham games, we'd have beaten them by a rugby score, but it doesn't always work like that.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Naah, getting well beaten - "thrashed" even - by a very good team is not an embarrassment, it will happen from time to time. How did Man Utd get on at home to Man City this season? yet they are still neck and neck, first and second in the whole of the land. Good teams will do that to teams sometimes, that's football.

The "embarrassing" games / results are when we get beaten by a rubbish team, or just 9 men of a rubbish team. I could have only been embarrassed by Sundays events if it had me, streaking.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It was more embarrassing than all those other embarrassing games because a) it was so high profile; b) because it was plastered over every newspaper; c) because some of the defending was so comical (e.g. Dunks og); and d) because of THREE own-goals.

Hell, even women friends of mine who know absolutely NOTHING about football were aware of our massive defeat, the 3 own-goals, and Dunk's juggling act.

And what's worse, on the same day, Stevenage of League One, who only five years ago were a Sunday pub side (well, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but you know what I mean) managed to hold Spurs (who are above Liverpool in the league) to a 0-0 draw.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I found it harder to explain to people how we squeaked a draw at home to Wrexham and then only beat them on penalties in a game we easily could (and probably should) have lost.

It was 6-1 because we decided to go down fighting rather than a meek 3-1 loss.

D

Deleted member 22389

Liverpool bought out all their best players for this. This tells me they actually respected us. After the match at The Amex, and the past history they knew we would probably not be push overs. Unfortunately for us it was a thrashing, but do you know what, I am still proud as hell of this club. I am proud because of the way the press and Liverpool made and song and dance about the win. It means we are considered as a good team.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Liverpool bought out all their best players for this. This tells me they actually respected us. After the match at The Amex, and the past history they knew we would probably not be push overs. Unfortunately for us it was a thrashing, but do you know what, I am still proud as hell of this club. I am proud because of the way the press and Liverpool made and song and dance about the win. It means we are considered as a good team.
I think this is the key. If Liverpool had been defeated by Manure in the last round, I reckon we'd have got a better result at Old Trafford.

Miocene

Mar 23, 2011
Hastings
Im as proud of the Albion today as i was Sunday morning and in fact every day. I walked into work this morning, head held high and no one has even tried to take the shit out of me. I even had a Liverpool "supporter" ask what Anfield was like :D

Im Brighton till i die, come good result or bad. No newspaper or pundit will ever make me feel anything other than pure pride for the boys in blue and white.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was more embarrassing than all those other embarrassing games because a) it was so high profile; b) because it was plastered over every newspaper; c) because some of the defending was so comical (e.g. Dunks og); and d) because of THREE own-goals.

Hell, even women friends of mine who know absolutely NOTHING about football were aware of our massive defeat, the 3 own-goals, and Dunk's juggling act.

And what's worse, on the same day, Stevenage of League One, who only five years ago were a Sunday pub side (well, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but you know what I mean) managed to hold Spurs (who are above Liverpool in the league) to a 0-0 draw.

So you've had a bit of stick about the result? That's where you learn to give as good as you get with a sense of humour. Man Utd lost to Man City 6-1 earlier this season. It happens and you move on.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You obviously didn't go to palace (5-0) if you thought Sunday was bad!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is absolutely no comparison. 5-0 league defeats happen. Only a relatively small number of saddos care whether that defeat is against Palace or Brentford. That defeat was not all over the national papers? Don't think we had three own goals?

This one was a high profile mauling!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
it was more embarrassing than all those other embarrassing games because a) it was so high profile; b) because it was plastered over every newspaper; c) because some of the defending was so comical (e.g. Dunks og); and d) because of three own-goals.

Hell, even women friends of mine who know absolutely nothing about football were aware of our massive defeat, the 3 own-goals, and dunk's juggling act.

And what's worse, on the same day, stevenage of league one, who only five years ago were a sunday pub side (well, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but you know what i mean) managed to hold spurs (who are above liverpool in the league) to a 0-0 draw.

tosh

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
There is absolutely no comparison. 5-0 league defeats happen. Only a relatively small number of saddos care whether that defeat is against Palace or Brentford. That defeat was not all over the national papers? Don't think we had three own goals?

AND HOW MANY GOALS DID WE LOSE TO LIVERPOOL BY? AH YES 5!

lose 1-0 in a cup tie and you're out. Lose 1-6 in a cup tie and the difference is............................. none, you're still OUT

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

You are CONVINCING NO ONE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here