Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yellow Pages - anyone still use it?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Does anyone still use the actual Yellow Pages book? Would you use it to find a professional service for example, whether an accountant, engineer, architect etc?

The min entry is getting expensive, I'm not sure anyone even uses it anymore with Google and other search engines so effective.

Comments, constructive, funny, insulting or otherwise appreciated, Thanks.:thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They shouldn't even be printing it anymore IMHO. All that AAAA Taxis bollocks. Waste of good paper and most of them never even get opened before ending up in the recycling bin.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Cant remember the last time I checked in a phone book of any sorts. Use google / word of mouth when searching for services.

Reliable Source

Dec 13, 2004
I don't understand why anybody with a computer/internet connection would ever use the book other than as a door stop or to get their fires started.

However, there is still a sizable population not online that rely on the paper directory. If this is your target audience I suspect there's still value in getting listed with them.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Does anyone still use the actual Yellow Pages book? Would you use it to find a professional service for example, whether an accountant, engineer, architect etc?

The min entry is getting expensive, I'm not sure anyone even uses it anymore with Google and other search engines so effective.

Comments, constructive, funny, insulting or otherwise appreciated, Thanks.:thumbsup:
Blimey, good question. Really can't remember the last time I used any form of printed phone directory but it was several years ago. In much the same way I've largely stopped buying computer manuals, last one was C# 3.0 about eighteen months ago.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
It is a legal requiremnt under the Communications ACt 2006.

69 Directories and directory enquiry facilitiesE+W+S+N.I..This section has no associated Explanatory Notes
(1)This section applies where universal service conditions require a designated universal service provider—.
(a)to supply a directory capable of being used in connection with the use of an electronic communications network or electronic communications service; or.
(b)to make available directory enquiry facilities capable of being used for purposes connected with use of such a network or service

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Why are there telephone boxes?...apart from being used as emergency urinals...
Its pretty rare for people not to have a mobile phone nowadays...

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Why are there telephone boxes?...apart from being used as emergency urinals...
Its pretty rare for people not to have a mobile phone nowadays...

err not every one has a mobile (me for one).

BT has been trying to close as many as they can for years (based on usage) but it needs the community to agree / not protest. as soon as a box is fingered for closure up pipe "Disgusted" of XXXXXXXXXX to protest, / get a campaign going etc etc

and of course, some, esp in London, have listed status so can't be removed........

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
err not every one has a mobile (me for one).

BT has been trying to close as many as they can for years (based on usage) but it needs the community to agree / not protest. as soon as a box is fingered for closure up pipe "Disgusted" of XXXXXXXXXX to protest, / get a campaign going etc etc

and of course, some, esp in London, have listed status so can't be removed........

Yeah, of course theres people who dont have, but its rare like I said... Didnt know about the listed status etc... I havnt used one for years, as I dont find the stench of Urine particularly attractive.....

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Actually I used yellow pages today to find a dry cleaners as internet searching is far more hit and miss. There are a hell of a lot of online directories which are never updated and are often a few years out of date.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here