Xavi. Imposible pass ?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Fortunate accident.
In football these are bound to happen

when xavi is invloved, there are no accidents. the guy is unreal

probably something he tries in training, ball played in just behind him so flicks it up with his heel.

flair of the highest order

when xavi is invloved, there are no accidents. the guy is unreal

probably something he tries in training, ball played in just behind him so flicks it up with his heel.

flair of the highest order

I watched it again and I think you are probably right.... an amazing piece of footwork in a split second that requires an instinct honed by practice.
I wonder what these lads get up to in their youth, it must be a lot of kicking a football against walls and finding new ways to receive and relay it.

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
He deffo means it. 3rd best player in the world for me, Messi wouldn't get the goals he does if Xavi wasn't there. Utter magic.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think he means it, maybe to run onto himself by flicking it up and over, but it's a clear piece of skill to my mind.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
He didn't do that intentionally. He doesn't shape his body to try it and you can tell from the way he looks round after it hits him that he doesn't know where the ball is.

Also, if it was deliberate wouldn't he have run over to Sanchez to celebrate (or vice versa)?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Didn't think he meant that until I saw that last replay aorund the 50 second mark. He meant it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think he does it intentionally. At no point does he look confused or act as if the ball isn't in his control. If not intentional it's the worst and most lazy attempt at control I've seen from Xavi in the last 6 years, by a MILE.

Definitely intentional.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ronaldinho free kick vs England = fluke.
Xavi pass = skill.

Although why he carried on running after, risking the goal being disallowed for offside, I'm not so sure.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
These weren't impossible just amazingly skillful.

My fav is 14 one header turns a goal kick over the half way line, into a goal scoring pass!

Last edited:

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
You could watch it a hundrfed times and not be sure - but I don't think it went entirely as planned - other than the end result of the ball being in the back of the net.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
He didn't do that intentionally. He doesn't shape his body to try it and you can tell from the way he looks round after it hits him that he doesn't know where the ball is.

Also, if it was deliberate wouldn't he have run over to Sanchez to celebrate (or vice versa)?

you can see the way he just pauses for a split second to flick the ball that it was definitely intentional, where he intended the ball to go is another matter.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I don't know what everyone else is seeing to be so convinced that but the more I watch the more accidental it looks. There's no way he tried to do that, even Xavi, who IMO is actually the best player in the world, not Messi (controversial I know). He tries to get his legs sorted as the ball is pinged in at him as he's going to run past it, it hits his calf and spoons up for his teammate. If that was deliberate I'm OJ Simpson.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
How can anyone POSSIBLY think he MEANT to do that!!????

He's tried to take it in his stride, not quite collected it and it's hit his heel. The way messi jogs to him clearly shows NO ONE on the pitch thinks he meant that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here