Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you still pick owen for england

Should Owen still be picked for england

• Total voters

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Seems to me he is at only 28 seen his better days...and to me looks a shadow of the player he once was....,would u still pick him for England

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
On reputation and past deeds, no question.
On current form though, its a tougher case to make. But then again, we're hardly overflowing with quality England forwards.

So I think I've talked myself into a YES.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Yes. Without doubt. His current form although worrying must have quite a lot to do with the fact he's playing in a crap team. I was worried it about the moment he signed for Newcastle. Big mistake Mr Owen.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
p2735_m1.jpg

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
There is sadly a dearth of decent Englush strikers but wuth his record you wouldn't not pick him, he's always been there for England in the really big occasions, and you wouldn't bet against him doing it in the future.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Owen was dreadful tonight. He contributed absolutely nothing whatsoever, apart from the scrambled equaliser. Now you could argue that that is what he is there for, and that alone justifies his inclusion for England....but I'm not sure it'll be enough for the watching Capello.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its not the "quality" of Owens goal I'm talking about DP.
His all-round game was dreadful. He wasn't making the runs, escaping his marker, providing an outlet or retaining possession. His contribution inside and outside the box was precisely zilch APART from the goal. Obviously the goal was a hugely important factor for Newcastle given their situation. But Capello is hardly going to be reinstating him on the strength of that kind of performance.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Top 20 prem (English) goal scorers this season so far are

Pos. Player Goals Team
9 Steven Gerrard 11 Liverpool
12 Jermain Defoe 10 Portsmouth
12 Frank Lampard 10 Chelsea
16 Wayne Rooney 8 Manchester United
19 Gabriel Agbonlahor 7 Aston Villa

Defoe for me is looking much better than Owen at the moment !!!

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Owen has never been the same since the injury he had five or so years ago. His game was all about pace and running, which he no longer has.

Sorry I voted no.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
in the squad but he needs some goal scoring consistancy to become first chioce again. im pretty certain he will leave Newcastle in the summer regardlesss of their position. where to is the only question. Portsmouth? Everton or maybe Arsenal? cant see him going to the other top three.

defoe... problem ive always had is he was a little timid on the national stage and didnt push up on the defnse like Owen does. if he can sort that out he's first choice on current form. or (deep breaths...) andy johnson :ohmy: you need someone who can keep the defense on the edge of their box rather than filling up the midfield.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would pick him for sure.
Not only because he NEVER lets England down when he plays and his record is phenomenal, but simply there isnt a better option in my opinion.

You ask Ronney, Lampard, Gerrard etc who thye would want up front and they will all giove you the same answer Owen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here