Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you go out with a smoker? Does their smelly breath and clothes put you off ?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Get a load of yourselves.

If she/he was CRUMPET (in your eyes as we all have different tastes) and she/he smoked are you really saying thats a deal breaker? Really? I mean REALLY.

Intelligence is pretty high on my list of criteria for a missus. Given that I really can't see why anyone with even half a brain would pay so much money to prematurely age, prematurely die and stink to high heaven, then yes. Yes it really would be a deal breaker.
(I would probably be defenceless to a drunken fumble though, but would soon come to my senses!)

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Unbelievable and incredibly shallow. I would like to not make a judgement and condemn someone because they smoked. I could live with it if they are a kind, loving , supportive partner who I had something in common with and shared interests. That is more important to me than ruling someone out because they dare to smoke in the ridiculously over the top anti smoking world we now inhabit. I hope you get your non smoking partner if that is the be all and end all of a persons make up to you and hope she has other redeeming qualities which to me are quite important.

Would you say the same thing about a woman who was morbidly obese and ate non stop?

It's the same thing...

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I smoke but that is because I am not perfect. I have flaws. 10 000 000 people in the UK are not perfect. It seems the whole of the NSC male population is beyond reproach. Sorry for being such a revolting human being. Feel free to throw tomatoes at me.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Would you say the same thing about a woman who was morbidly obese and ate non stop?

It's the same thing...

Probably. I may try and get her to change her ways out of love but I would not rule her out from the outset from prejudice.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It's the same thing...

This is a thread about smokers. I'm sure there are hundreds of other reasons for not dating a person whether dandruff, BO, bunions, unsightly hair, snoring, over eating, allergies, OCD, dirty finger nails, thick eye brows, thin eyebrows.... This thread however, is about smoking.

Most people who don't like it will be non-smokers like myself, hardly a surprise really, if we liked the smell of smoke, we'd probably smoke! Hardly being beyond reproach, non-smokers don't like smoking shock...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
This is a thread about smokers. I'm sure there are hundreds of other reasons for not dating a person whether dandruff, BO, bunions, unsightly hair, snoring, over eating, allergies, OCD, dirty finger nails, thick eye brows, thin eyebrows.... This thread however, is about smoking.

Most people who don't like it will be non-smokers like myself, hardly a surprise really, if we liked the smell of smoke, we'd probably smoke! Hardly being beyond reproach, non-smokers don't like smoking shock...

You've missed the point, you're pointing out mostly physical traits.

It's a matter of health.

It's a matter of accepting that the person doesnt give a shit about their health and is ok with knowing it might see them leave your life far sooner than they should.

So just like the obese person, the smoker also endangers their health by their habits.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I seem to date smokers (as a non-smoker myself).

My last 'serious' partner smoked roll-ups. I had to eventually tell I couldn't bear her touching me after she'd constructed her cigs. She eventually bought some kind of hand-lotion that disinfected her hands. She also started cleaning her teeth before she attempted to kiss me.

This is clearly not very good and takes away all the spontanaiety. I have to say that she has since given it up - but too late for me to appreciate.

With my ex-wife who was a heavy smoker I deliberately started eating lots of raw onions as a kind of 'payback' thing. You can see why she is a ex. :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I do find smoking a massive turn-off but I wouldn't make it the sole reason not to go out with a girl. I think if you're really attracted to someone you are willing to overlook a lot of factors. That's not to say that I wouldn't try and encourage them to stop and they definitely wouldn't be allowed to smoke in my flat.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Both my current partner (of 5+ years), and my last partner (of 2+ years) were smokers, and I managed to get them both to stop smoking. So not only did I no longer have to deal with their stench, I also like to claim I've saved two lives. Thank you, thank you very much.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
You've missed the point, you're pointing out mostly physical traits.

It's a matter of health.

It's a matter of accepting that the person doesnt give a shit about their health and is ok with knowing it might see them leave your life far sooner than they should.

So just like the obese person, the smoker also endangers their health by their habits.

I agree. Though I also accept that, as someone who drinks more than is classed as a healthy amount, I'm a hypocrite regarding my views on smoking being stupid. I think that the difference for me is that I just don't get the point of smoking - a wee nip or so of booze is a great social lubricant, but what exactly does smoking a fag do? I weigh up the benefits of drinking against the negative effects on my health and have come to the conclusion that as long as it stays at a moderate level, I eat healthily, exercise etc then the risk isn't great enough to give up something I enjoy. I just don't see how anyone could do the same with smoking and decide that it's a good idea to start / continue with it.
Anyone who smokes around their/others' kids is another kettle of fish entirely, with pregnant women who smoke on a level all to themselves.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Get a load of yourselves.

If she/he was CRUMPET (in your eyes as we all have different tastes) and she/he smoked are you really saying thats a deal breaker? Really? I mean REALLY.

Yes, absolutely. It's a deal breaker.

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
Will smokers go out with nsc contributors?

Lets face it, when I was a lad all the cool girls were puffing away- the bad girls smoked, the goths smoked and the hippy chicks smoked. Mammoth was always a sucker for a pair of legs in stripy tights c. the second summer of love, and they always came with a ciggie attached.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Would you go out with a smoker? Does their smelly breath and clothes put you off even if they are fantastic looking?
Have you split up because of smoking?
Been going out with smokers for over 40 years without a problem-Vegans,however,with their stinky breath & foul wind.....yuch:sick:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The majority of fit young birds do smoke

A somewhat subjective statement, but they won't be fit for long if they continue. Look at most women in their 40's and 50's who have smoked for years and apart from having a voice like Barry White they also have skin like leather.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here