Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you ever put yourself above your team mates?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ronaldo is staying an suite, while the rest of the team have normal rooms, some might even be sharing.
Maradonna used to fly first class, while everybody else was in cattle.

Could you do that?

Personally there is no way I could, no matter how arrogant I became.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's definitely one or the other, you upgrade everyone, or slum it.

I couldn't look people in the eye.

'Yeah, they've restocked my bar with Krystel. Changed the taps on my wet room to gold. Reset my cinema surround sound unit to pick up Portuguese TV. Life is good'.

'oh did they fix you're teasmaid?'

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He probably payed some of it himself...
Maybe so, but wouldn't that feel odd to you.
Being so obviously 'better' than everyone else in your team, and showing it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Maybe nobody wanted to share with him. Also, the normal rooms might not have enough space for all his male grooming products!!!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
He wins games singlehandedly. Personally i bet they let him want whatever room he wants.

I thought this was a thread about the (yet again) self destructing dutch teams.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
As far as dilemmas go, this is definitely a First World dilemma...

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If the upgrade came at a reasonable price and I was footing the bill then yes, I wouldn't do it if the team were paying and I wouldn't feel bad about paying for my own upgrade

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
You can tell he doesn't give a shit about the team unless he is scoring. He didn't join in any celebrations or congratulate the guy who scored the winner against Denmark, just looked pissed that it wasn't him that scored.

2nd best player in the world and incredible athlete for sure, but a self obsessed ego maniac at the same time.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You can tell he doesn't give a shit about the team unless he is scoring. He didn't join in any celebrations or congratulate the guy who scored the winner against Denmark, just looked pissed that it wasn't him that scored.

2nd best player in the world and incredible athlete for sure, but a self obsessed ego maniac at the same time.

Quite right. His celebrations last night were cringeworthy, inviting his team mates to worship him like some second coming

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Maradonna used to fly first class, while everybody else was in cattle.

I take it you never read his autobiography then!? Maradonna was lots of things, a bourgeois player he was not. When his first club Argentinos Jr had to sell him River Plate had the money to buy him and where seen very much as the aristocratic club of Argentina, Boca Juniors were the peoples club. They however couldn't afford Argentinos asking price, so Maradonna agreed to tour Africa in show matches with Boca so they could raise the money for the transfer! This is also why he signed for Napoli when he could have gone anywhere. Napoli was viewed as a poor, backwards part of Italy looked down on very much by the North. He certainly didn't raise himself above others.
His autobiography is a great read.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it you never read his autobiography then!? Maradonna was lots of things, a bourgeois player he was not. When his first club Argentinos Jr had to sell him River Plate had the money to buy him and where seen very much as the aristocratic club of Argentina, Boca Juniors were the peoples club. They however couldn't afford Argentinos asking price, so Maradonna agreed to tour Africa in show matches with Boca so they could raise the money for the transfer! This is also why he signed for Napoli when he could have gone anywhere. Napoli was viewed as a poor, backwards part of Italy looked down on very much by the North. He certainly didn't raise himself above others.
His autobiography is a great read.
Well that then brings the whole thread in question, as I was quoting The Guardian Podcast.

The Napoli move.
Could it not be the case, he became the biggest fish in a small pond, and was able to act accordingly?
Is he allowed back in Italy yet?

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
reminds me of a berk of a CEO I used to work for. We were flying out to SAn Fran - 5 of us along with the CEO for a huge conference in Palo Alto. It was kind of make or break for us for a number of reasons.

Anyway at Heathrow we had something to eat and he gave us a Cameron style speach about how we were all in this together and our pains were his pains etc etc - actually sounded really credible.

Anyway, we get to the plane door and you guessed it - he turned left and waved and said see you on the other side.

We didnt really buy into his vision after that.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Well that then brings the whole thread in question, as I was quoting The Guardian Podcast.

The Napoli move.
Could it not be the case, he became the biggest fish in a small pond, and was able to act accordingly?
Is he allowed back in Italy yet?

No idea to be honest, but i would say just compare the actions of the 2 men. Ronaldo's first club was Sporting Lisbon very much the Aristocrats of Portuguese football, then to Man United at the time richest club in the world, then Real Madrid. Maradona, Boca Juniors then Barca then Napoli, with a couple of other clubs tucked in there. To compare the 2 men as the same by the Guardian is just lazy journalism and disingenuous.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Someone told me that Cantona used to have his own changing room at Old Trafford - I'm not sure how true this is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here