Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would the wheels come off for a while if Gus left?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given how few teams play like us and the massive foreign but mainly Spanish speaking players we have if we didn't get EXACTLY the right manager in we could be in trouble imo.

The players would have to change the style we play to suit the manager and who is out there that is attaniable and who could take over and carry on the Gus way?

It would cause a lot more grief than most clubs losing their manager imo.

Hopefully won't happen but I think we could definitely right off the playoffs this year if it did.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Given how few teams play like us and the massive foreign but mainly Spanish speaking players we have if we didn't get EXACTLY the right manager in we could be in trouble imo.

The players would have to change the style we play to suit the manager and who is out there that is attaniable and who could take over and carry on the Gus way?

It would cause a lot more grief than most clubs losing their manager imo.

Hopefully won't happen but I think we could definitely right off the playoffs this year if it did.

If we lose at Sheffield Wednesday Saturday we can probably right them off then.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If we lose at Sheffield Wednesday Saturday we can probably right them off then.

Ridiculous comment. We could be in 14th with 5 games to go and still make the play-offs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are people in a flat spin already?

Nope just considering how we'd do if Gus left next week. I wouldn't go into a flat spin if he did leave either. Good job, thanks, next. Personally think it would take more adjustment for the players than most clubs though if it did happen.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
No. The club will always be bigger than Gus, whether he thinks so or not.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, Tony would need to appoint a manager who played the same style, or get in a few new players if the transfer window were open.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
No one is irreplaceable ( the nearest you'll ever get is Fergie )The ' Spanish ' influence is now a major factor in our club so it has to be taken into consideration.
Gus is cautious by nature and a lot of our results reflect this. I'm not advocating someone gung-ho but a manager who won't settle for drawing games, when there is a chance of winning, may achieve even more. We all know that Gus has been out-thought more than once this season and is not a tactical genius. He just plans in-depth, long term and sticks to it. Admirable qualities for long-term growth. Some other managers are more ' seat of the pants, grab the game by the scruff of the neck, now ' merchants. We have a good squad of players and I can't see us going backwards under a new manager.
A dour and experienced tactitian ( e.g Mowbray ) or a 'seat of the pants, emotional ' operator ( e.g Warnock ) or a long term strategist ( e.g Poyet )
Yer pays yer money...yer takes yer choice.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Install Inigo Calderon as caretaker and carry on without a problem.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5480832 said:
It would totally depend on who was brought in I reckon

It would, but what a set up they would be coming to. Coaching ethos through the club, training facility on the way, scouting network and strategy. They'd be hitting the ground running at least!

I suspect Swansea felt the same when Martinez left, then Rodgers, however it's clear that if you get the set up right, a new manager can slot right in.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
There would be a queue of manager's form the Amex to Withdean, wanting the job. And not the usual dross we were linked with in the past. Bloom would get the right man, no doubt. As for would the wheels come off, I didn't realize we were doing so well or are people just taking it for granted Poyet is going to get us in the play offs??? I think the defence is sound enough, whoever came in. Perhaps with a bit more attacking tactics, we might just all be saying Gus who, come May......That said, he won't go anywhere before the end of the season.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
There would be a queue of manager's form the Amex to Withdean, wanting the job. And not the usual dross we were linked with in the past. Bloom would get the right man, no doubt. As for would the wheels come off, I didn't realize we were doing so well or are people just taking it for granted Poyet is going to get us in the play offs??? I think the defence is sound enough, whoever came in. Perhaps with a bit more attacking tactics, we might just all be saying Gus who, come May......That said, he won't go anywhere before the end of the season.

I agree, managing our club has to be one of the most attractive positions in football today.

I think Gus would be a fool to leave tbh, even for Chelsea. Maybe even, especially for Chelsea, since nobody lasts in that job.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here