Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worthing to The Phillipines

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I watched it on world soccer on sky, it could be huge out there & didn't realise this story about the coach. Good stuff.

I put a thread up about their match against Indonesia a while back...Macca's a great guy and deserved the chance he's got-is already the most succesful coah in their history after just 5 months

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Its a fairly old story, neverless is still quite incredible. Just getting the gig as Philippines manager having only Haywards Heath boss & assistant manager at Worthing on your CV is amazing in itself. The success he had at the recent Suzuki Cup tournamount, taking the Philippines to their highest ever world ranking makes the story even more special.

As we know, many football clubs are run by egotistical morons & International teams in Asia are no different. Despite Simon's amazing success, a member of the Philippines board was recently making public noises about bringing in some obscure Brazilian Coach. Never let politics get in the way of success.

As I understand, common sense has now prevailed & the fool rocking the boat has been warned off & his gob sellotaped up. (hopefully)

Quite a rise to become manager of the Philippines from assistant manager of Worthing FC that is presently run by Philistines but that's another story....

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
really nice bloke and a great coach to boot from when i was at burgess hill in the youth team under him

good to see its all working out

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
brilliant story

also loving the pics of him with some far eastern babe (or could be a ladyboy) in a Jakata nightclub. Top work!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Great story- also worth mentioning that Lewes boy and ex Brighton youth player Chris Greatwich was in the side.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Not only Chris Greatwich... Phil Younghusband is an ex-prof in the UK and was that Rob Gier as well?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
On the Nomad Forum today;

"Thank you gents. All been a bit of a rollercoaster but am very much enjoying being involved at this level.
Makes a change from Hanbury and Woodside Road....
Last game we played was infront of 90,000 in Jakata, Indonesia with another 15,000 outside the ground without tickets...
Different world.
Do check in on here every week or so, just to keep in touch with goings on."

It would seem Macca could be back in international management soon, as he is flying out to Saigon tomorrow and is likely to become the next manager of Vietnam, which is a step-up in teams at that level!

brilliant

good luck to him

who's in charge of the Filipinos now?

Some random german coach.

Apprarently the PFF were looking for someone to put some funds into them, and the German football federaion said they'd give them the money, but only if they appointed a german coach. Also established links with elgible filipino-german players as well.

Used the excuse that Macca appaprently didn't have the right UEFA qualifications for him to continue as coach. I think in the end he's got the better deal!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here