Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst tackle ever?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
edna krabappel said:
And I don't know about anyone else, but occasionally when I see Richard Carpenter go in for one I wince. I'm not convinced he's a deliberately dirty player (cue whining Reading fans), I just think he overestimates his ability to get the ball sometimes.

Well, Chippy has been in the news for horror tackles this week!

http://www.getreading.co.uk/story.asp?intid=9322

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
The Schumacher one has to take the biscuit, especially since the ref's decision, after such a blatant, high-flying chop which left the French player out cold, was, of course. . . goal kick to Germany.

Vinnie Jones on Gary Stevens was brutal.
Also, from where I was sitting, Palace's Jamie Smith on Bobby Zamora in the Cup the other month was a fair old scythe. . . Maybe not one of the worst of all time, but couldn't understand the Palace outrage and defence of it.
Mind you, the ref did send off a completely different, innocent player for it, but still. . . Anyone can make a mistake. :lolol:

Incredigull

In Cervesio Felicitas
Nov 28, 2003
Mile Oak
Harold said:
of their numerous run-ins.

Whiteside on Ramsey for me though. In his autobiography he says it was the only tackle in his life when he went in to hurt his opponent. Personally I can't believe that was the only one. Anyway, he didn't have to stand on Chris's injured leg afterwards either. B@stard.

And the fecker stayed on the pitch.
We wuz robbed,bar steward !!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Schumacher's tackle on Batiston was a total disgrace - the worst tackle I have ever seen and I doubt I will ever see worse.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Storer68 said:
Paul Clarke on someone at the Goldstone around 1978. Can't remember who is was against (Cambridge Utd springs to mind for some reason) but you could hear the bone break in two all round the ground. The poor chap was stretched off with a large part of his leg sticking out

seem to remember it was Paul Fuschillo of Luton.

One of the worst tackles was by Graeme Souness, think it was for Rangers against a German side.

Jul 20, 2003
I've got a vague memory of Steve McMahon going over the top, studs up and breaking his own leg - that was pretty bad and very badly executed

Jul 20, 2003
Or for a masterclass in bad tackles and out and out thuggery I pass you over to David Coleman:

"Good evening. The game you are about to see is the most stupid, appalling, disgusting and disgraceful exhibition of football, possibly in the history of the game."

Italy v Chile June 1962, In Brief

The Battle of Santiago: more a pitch battle than a World Cup group match.

Highlights including the Battle Royale between Mario David and somebody or other Sanchez

The Italian kept trying to kick the shit of the Chilean who ended up laying him out with a haymaker. The Italian later evened things up by kicking him in the throat, then had the shit kicked out of him. Natural Justice.

More an extended 'Lumberjack Challenge' than a foul per se but I believe the phrase is: marvellous scenes.

There is a foul every 5 minutes in that game that would make the front page of a broadsheet nowadays.

I was there for the 'Tank' Clarke tackle. It was on the cards, you could tell Clarke was after him - just like you always knew he was going to 'go in hard' on any black players. Naturally, we suspected Clarkey to be somewhat racially biased in some way (to put it politely).

In those days though, it was practically expected for the 'monkey sounds' to be aimed at any black players, a nasty feeling to know our own fans had such rock-apes among them on the terraces.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oooh, Graeme Souness, yeah. I've seen a couple of his challenges on TV from when he played for Rangers, and they're enough to make a grown man cry. Sheer malevolence in every one, the dirty Scottish thug.

There was one in which he flew in, studs up, straight into an opponent's groin. I bet the Steaua Bucharest player is still searching Ibrox for his knackers this day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here