Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst tackle ever?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Harold said:

Whiteside on Ramsey for me though. In his autobiography he says it was the only tackle in his life when he went in to hurt his opponent. Personally I can't believe that was the only one. Anyway, he didn't have to stand on Chris's injured leg afterwards either. B@stard.

I would agree with that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yorkie said:
I watched Norman Hunter many times with my ex and although he was a hard man, no one ever got dangerously injured
Are you referring to Norman here, or your ex ?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Yorkie said:
I watched Norman Hunter many times with my ex and although he was a hard man, no one ever got dangerously injured.
His tackles were hard but brilliantly timed.
I cannot even remember anyone having to go off the pitch.

Franny Lee and much later Kevin Keegan spring to mind as Hunter victims who were carried off

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
For me it has to be Kenny Burns in his forest days in the late seventies, i cant remember the recipient, but you actually saw the chaps shin bone disintegrate. It was a truly terrible tackle that he should have been banned for for a year instead of the piddly sending off that he got.

does anyone else remember this or was it a very bad dream

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
The Schumacher one was a disgrace.

I remember the Cameroon one - two players had tried to take him out before the third one actually did!

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
How about this one?

_38503137_cantona238.jpg

Or does a tackle on a Palace fan not count? :lolol:

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
That Cameroon one was superb, it was like they were all lining up to take him out!

George Santos did a pretty brutal one on Andy Johnson from West Brom, after all the history they had, there was no intention to play the ball at all.

Richard Prokas on Patrick Vieria was quite bad while Fantasy Football showed one of Cantona while playing in France, launch himself at an opponent and literally get a waist high challenge in!!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Easy 10 said:
Nope, it was Neil Paskin of West Brom. And Kevin Bremner took over in goal. And they scored a late winner. And we lost 0-1.

I'll get me anorak.

Indeed, it was down in the South goal and even from the back of the North Stand i thought "Ouch!". I also recall that forever after Diggers used to wear trackie bottoms as opposed to shorts in all conditions. The joke chant was "Perry Digweed, goalie in trousers safe as houses (crap rhyme).

I think Keane's on Haaland is one of the worst.

More recently i loved Hinshelwoods challenge in the last minute of the Bournemouth away fixture earlier this season. Fortunately he pretty much missed the bloke but the intenr was there. The best bit was that we were in the Bournemouth end about 5 yards from it. All arounf B'Muff loonies were up at the barriers spitting blood whilst we sniggered discretley:clap2:

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
There was one in Germany in the late 70s where the outside of a player's thigh was sliced open, virtually from knee to groin by, I think, the edge of someone's stud. It was like an autopsy - except that the guy was staring at the state of own his leg in horror.

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
Personally speaking; the one that shattered my left tibia and fibula and left my foot hanging off. For the record I was playing for The Three Horseshoes pub in a 'friendly' against Barclays Bank, was playing at left back and was inside my own penalty area with the ball, going nowhere. I didn't see the c**t coming from behind and he scissor tackled me and snapped the bones with such force the goalie at the other end heard it break. Ouch. I was in plaster for six months, on crutches for nine and had to have it rebroken and reset once. The very amusing consultant at the hospital brought out the X-Rays, held them up and exclaimed "Yep, it's broken". My even more amusing brother brought me in a copy of Shoot magazine. The morphine was ok though.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I thought Schumacher's offence against Battiston was more like a flying karate kick than a tackle!

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
attila said:
Hughton on Gerry Ryan. The Palace bastard should have been done for assault and locked up.

Yep, I remember that, disgraceful. Very similar to the tackle that did me but in entirely different circumstances! You could hear Gerry's leg snap from where I was a third of the way up the away terrace.

Paul Clarke on someone at the Goldstone around 1978. Can't remember who is was against (Cambridge Utd springs to mind for some reason) but you could hear the bone break in two all round the ground. The poor chap was stretched off with a large part of his leg sticking out

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
loosetackle.jpg

Paul Scholes' tackle is pretty disgusting.

ziggy

Sep 19, 2003
Hastings
This is the worst tackle I've ever seen in a football match

Attachments

• priceless-soccer.jpg
    priceless-soccer.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 133

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Well it wasn't Wendy wilkins for sure.

Shumacker on Nigel Mansell in the last grand prix of the season was nasty.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Norman Bites yer Legs Hunter in unfamilar pose

Attachments

• bbt003large.jpg
    bbt003large.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 127

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This is more like it, I was thinking of downright dirty tackles, not accidental injuries like David Busst.

Steven Gerrard has done a few nasty ones in his time. The groin-rearranging one on Gary Naysmith I think.

And I don't know about anyone else, but occasionally when I see Richard Carpenter go in for one I wince. I'm not convinced he's a deliberately dirty player (cue whining Reading fans), I just think he overestimates his ability to get the ball sometimes.

Anyone see Mo Camara of Wolves "tackle" Southampton's Jason Dodd a couple of weeks ago? You can see Dodd's leg bend inwards on the replay, his damaged ligaments are bad enough but he's lucky his leg wasn't broken.

Didn't make many headlines as it wasn't Arsenal or Man United involved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here