Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst tackle ever?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For reasons of sheer brutality, injury-causing potential, watch-it-through-your-fingers value or just pure schadenfreude.

Schumacher on Battiston, World Cup 1982 I think.

In some cases, suggestions may also qualify for "Best Tackle Ever" prize, as with that Cameroon player's attempts to kill Claudio Canniggia at Italia 90.

Did anyone here see Duncan Shearer's tackle that broke Nicky Bissett's leg years ago?

Other suggestions?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Worst I ever saw was when that Coventry player (can't remember his name) was crippled against Man Utd about 4 or 5 years ago after being caught in a pincer tackle. The bone from his shin was sticking through his sock and Old Red Nose Peter was almost physically sick as he tried to help

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
On the Left Wing said:
Worst I ever saw was when that Coventry player (can't remember his name) was crippled against Man Utd about 4 or 5 years ago after being caught in a pincer tackle. The bone from his shin was sticking through his sock and Old Red Nose Peter was almost physically sick as he tried to help

It was David Busst (sp).

I remember when they had to chuck a bucket of water on the pitch to wash the blood away.

jmc

Jul 11, 2003
Portslade
what about that bloke Buist who bust his leg and peter Schmeichel almost threw up on the pitch - now that was nasty....:clap2: :clap2:

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Remember Bissett tackle. Real shame for the lad as he never recovered and I thought he could have done a lot more for us.

Who did Digweed when he a ruptured uretha ? thought that was Duncan Shearer ?

Also remember Justin Fashanu doing Andy Rollings in one of their numerous run-ins.

Whiteside on Ramsey for me though. In his autobiography he says it was the only tackle in his life when he went in to hurt his opponent. Personally I can't believe that was the only one. Anyway, he didn't have to stand on Chris's injured leg afterwards either. B@stard.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
On the Left Wing said:

The player was David Busst. It was truly gruesome but that didn't stop most of the tabloids printing a full size picture on the back page.

One of the worst I saw against an Albion player was the tackle that broke Darragh Ryan's leg at Peterboro - even their fans were calling for their player to be sent off for it (although the one on dad Gerry by a Palace player was apperently even worse)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The Busst one dosent count.
That was accidental.

I thought we were talking bad tackles ? ie Vinny Jones on Gary Stevens etc etc.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Uncle Buck said:
It was David Busst (sp).

I remember when they had to chuck a bucket of water on the pitch to wash the blood away.

Not surprisingly, his career finished after that. But Man U did put on a benefit match for him, which attracted a full house at Old Trafford.

Busst himself is now very good at walking round in circles.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Marshy said:

I thought we were talking bad tackles ? ie Vinny Jones on Gary Stevens etc etc.

Actually for premeditated violent forethought that probably wins it. Fashanu(I think) basically held him in place then Jones launched his whole bodyweight into Stevens. Awful.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Harold said:
Who did Digweed when he a ruptured uretha ? thought that was Duncan Shearer ?
Nope, it was Neil Paskin of West Brom. And Kevin Bremner took over in goal. And they scored a late winner. And we lost 0-1.

I'll get me anorak.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
How about Henry Hughton's on Gerry Ryan, that ended his career,
or Jeff Hopkins on Robert Codner,that broke his leg.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
and many scores of tackles by Norman Hunter, Chopper Harris and Tommy Smith would fall into the category of worst ever ... those were the days: no handbags and take no prisoners.

Remember the North Stand circa 1970 singing "You'll go home like Sandy Richardson!" (the guy in the wheelchair in the original Crossroads)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
My favourite ever tackle was at Withdean, although I can't remember who is was against (maybe someone else does?).

It was by that loon Martin Thomas who did a sliding tackle - with his head.

Genius. :clap2:

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Henry Hughton's was bad.

But that Schumacher one has to be worst that I've seen.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
On the Left Wing said:
and many scores of tackles by Norman Hunter, Chopper Harris and Tommy Smith would fall into the category of worst ever ... those were the days: no handbags and take no prisoners.

I watched Norman Hunter many times with my ex and although he was a hard man, no one ever got dangerously injured.
His tackles were hard but brilliantly timed.
I cannot even remember anyone having to go off the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here