Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst pub

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I reckon mine would have to be the Clifton in Worthing. It's like a Chavs lounge. Couldn't believe when me and a mate walked in to avoid a shower when headed into town once 1970's still carpet, armchairs the local chavs and some little baby playing on the carpet.

Sort of place the tarty teenage daughter would start talking to you and the brother and father would give you kicking. Only time i've ever felt intimidated in a pub in my home town.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Pub near the station at Burnley (that first game of the season we won)

Havent seen a screw top bottle of flat cola make an appearence from behind a bar for years.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
The Ancient Mariner in Hove, used to be called the Rutland Arms. in the old days the pub was really nice and my dad used to play for the pool team there, Now the new owners took it over they've made it into a shit hole, local chavs take it over and there is no bloody pool table there anymore, just 4 bloody sofas where the pool table was.
And it aint so friendly anymore one wrong word and you could get your head kicked in.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
The White Hart in Crowborough used to be a nice family sort of pub now you're surrounded by 15 year olds getting wasted on cider. WOO. :shootself

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Safeway said:

The Victoria next to Portslade Station comes a very close second. SHIT HOLE.

It's been refurbished :eek: . I went past the door yesterday and had to do a double take. I couldn't believe my eyes. I'm sure it's the same clientele and I would still think twice before going in there but it looks much better.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Goring Gull said:
I reckon mine would have to be the Clifton in Worthing. It's like a Chavs lounge. Couldn't believe when me and a mate walked in to avoid a shower when headed into town once 1970's still carpet, armchairs the local chavs and some little baby playing on the carpet.

Sort of place the tarty teenage daughter would start talking to you and the brother and father would give you kicking. Only time i've ever felt intimidated in a pub in my home town.

I almost got in a punch up with someone going to the Clifton while half a mile from it.

Didn't Cardiff cause a couple of grands worth of improvements there a few years back ?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
smudge said:
Some of those pubs in Burslem (Port Vale) were dire!

Burslem was dire, full stop.

Wasn't Robbie Williams broguht up above a pub in Burslem ?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
e77 said:
Burslem was dire, full stop.

Wasn't Robbie Williams broguht up above a pub in Burslem ?

If it's the one we were in, his Mum's a right minger!
:lolol:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The Leinster Arms in Maynooth

Chav den but with a dress code, seems to be stone island, though...

Got closed for 3 monts for prostitution in 1993, and ever since then the "Strings Niteclub" has been held in total suspicion

Total underage haven, heard stories of 14 or 15 getting served there no problems. Also has an off licence with similar age sales, so they're seen as fuelling the underage public drinking too.

I've been in it a few times - never out of choice though. You can barely see for the glare of the fake tans on the women, and the plastic jewelery, and the guys earrings....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
MYOB said:
The Leinster Arms in Maynooth

Chav den but with a dress code, seems to be stone island, though...

Got closed for 3 monts for prostitution in 1993, and ever since then the "Strings Niteclub" has been held in total suspicion

Total underage haven, heard stories of 14 or 15 getting served there no problems. Also has an off licence with similar age sales, so they're seen as fuelling the underage public drinking too.

I've been in it a few times - never out of choice though. You can barely see for the glare of the fake tans on the women, and the plastic jewelery, and the guys earrings....

Isn't Maynooth the place where all the priests train? It must be a lot of would-be Father Jacks causing trouble.

The worst pubs in Brighton are all the ones in West Street: all offering expensive, tasteless beer in bland, identikit surroundings; truly a vision of hell.

Jul 20, 2003
a boozer in Clacton - gilrfriend asked for a glass of white wine - they poured it using the dregs from a couple of bottles sat on the bar (no corks - warm, smelling of vinegar); the glass was greasy. I asked them to open a fresh bottle and use a clean glass and was told to 'f*** off'

charming example of British Seaside resort hospitality

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
When I was a cab driver, I never used to like the Prince of Wales in East Grinstead. If I had to pick up a punter there, a series of eyes would stare at me as if I had committed some terrible crime simply by going into the place. The Sussex on West Street used to be a real hole as well, before Shepherd Neame took it over and kicked out the ruffians. The other place is Lingfield. The Greyhound seems to be the local for all the pikey camps in the area, and I definitely felt uncomfortable in there. In addition, though it's not technically a pub, Rockets club, behind the squash club, is a complete dump.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Can't believe nobody's nominated The Sportsman. As pubs go-it's a f***ing joke: "Well folks, we've got a football crowd in here tonight/today so let's make sure we run out of the only decent beer we've got in this place"

"Good Luck Brighton" printed on an A4 piece of paper blue tacked on the front door does not make it Albion friendly either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here