Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst live gig you've ever been to

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I saw the Fire Engines do a 20 minute gig at the Warehouse, Leeds...half of which was out of tune. Also at the Warehouse, there was a crap performance by Bill (BeBop DeLuxe) Nelson. Both of these were 1981, so they were some years ago.

The worst recently was Lee Perry at the Forum, Kentish Town. I'd seen him before and when he's on form, he's excellent. This time, he'd obviously smoked just a bit too much and was just rambling and incoherent.

Quite a few spring to mind. First up swiss rockers Krokus at the dominion in 1980something, Marc Storace possibly the vainest person on stage I have ever seen, a petulant performance I can still remember to this day.

I also walked out of venom's first gig at Hammersmith, an unintelligble dirge.

Some of my fave bands have also been disappointing, I remember the Chili Peppers (one of the best bands I have seen) being really dull and going through the motions at Brixton on their first stint supporting Blood Sugar Sex Magick, and the Levellers being shit at the essential festival in brighton, and they are one of my favourite bands.

And while I'm here, every time I've seen the Black Crowes they were self indulgent wank, and their records are superb.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have just remembered another one that I had blanked from my mind as it was so incredibly dull - Kraftwerk. What an overated load of techno crap that inspired a whole generation of Gary Numan wanabees. Autobahn was bearable as a novelty song but the self indulgent sci-fi crap that made up the rest of concert has put me off electronic music for life.

The Flaming Lips late last year. I love their albums, but if I want to go to a kid's tea party, I'll go to a kid's tea party and not pay for the privilege.

The gig was saved, however, by the brilliant support band, Alfie.

Jul 20, 2003
fatbadger said:
The Flaming Lips late last year. I love their albums, but if I want to go to a kid's tea party, I'll go to a kid's tea party and not pay for the privilege.

The was the best gig I've ever been to at the Brightion Centre (20 or more over the years)

Air at the Dome a couple of months ago was utterly tedious.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
The Commitments (without Andrew Strong) Bristol Coulsdon Hall,
SHOCKING!!!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
fatbadger said:

The gig was saved, however, by the brilliant support band, Alfie.

Alfie are absolute class. If you haven't heard them then you MUST give them a try. Unfortunately they are never going to reach the amount of people that their music deserves due to them being disliked by a few important industry bods. Very close to losing their record deal too which is criminal. They are lovely blokes as well (for United fans), Sam and Me (official band of NSC)supported them at the Komedia earlier this year and Alfie asked them along to support their London gig too.

www.alfie.net

80's Matchbox are crap live (do't tell em i said that, they live straight across the road from me).

My worst ever gig was the Sean Paul and Dizzee Rascal affair at the Dome for radio 1. The sound was awful and it was full of 15 years shouting 'whar g'wan blud' and 'ya get me' at eachother.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Primal Scream have always disappointed - mainly coz they are a bunch of arrogant shits who think they are doing the crowd a favour. And they are always paralytic! (cracking albums though!)

Worst gig for me - No Doubt at Glastonbury a couple of years back. I was no further than 10 yards from the stage, flat out asleep. Apparantly my snoring upset some teeny boppers...

Ive also slept through Kosheen, Basement Jaxx (had to lie down due to excess) and The Stereo MCs...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Pond.

They were some kind of grunge dirge back in the days SubPop ruled the world. Inappropriately, they'd been booked as support to Throwing Muses on a UK tour. Being a keen TM fan, I bought tickets for four dates on the tour. Being a v.keen TM fan, I liked to get into the first couple of rows. This meant enduring Pond for four nights in just over a week. By the third night I was close to topping myself.

However, I have *just* managed to get out of a Lionel Richie concert, phew. My girlfriend and I have totally opposite musical tastes, and we'd stuck a deal where she'll come to see The Go-Betweens with me later this month, if I go to Lionel Richie with her in October. Sadly, we've just found out that Mr Richie is completely sold out!!!!! What a shame.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Television Personalities at Leeds Duchess in [1989?].

Band walk on, start one song, fail, start another. Jowe Head (bass player) can't tune his bass. Looks at it, says "and they call this a precision instrument", band walk off.

Travelled all the way from Shrewsbury to see that...

Grunty

Jan 16, 2004
Worthing
LYDIA LUNCH supporting the Cure at The Dome in 1981,
she was absolute SHITE.

I got beaten up later too.!
not one of my best nights out

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Bowie at Milton Keynes Bowl on Scary Monsters tour (I think). My last stadium concert. Too far away, wrong music for that sort of stage, in inverse proportion to my expectation.

And he didn't play Laughing Gnome.

Last edited:

yorkshire seagull

May 18, 2004
Leeds
Mike Flowers Pops at Finsbury Park, London - supported by Scatman John - a free concert on bonfire night in 1997 - so poor, they should have paid me to see it.:nono:

Warren G at Brixton Academy in 1998 - great music on CD, live act one of the worst things I've ever seen - however, also had the funniest thing ever seen live - one of 'The Twinz' (the backing band) started pissing on the crowd, but actually pissed on one of the amplifiers, and electrocuted himself !! It shorted the entire venue :lolol: :lolol: - at least the music stopped.....

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Carter USM at Steyning Grammar school . . . .utter utter tripe, unbelievably bad, and they got worse !

accidentally walked through a field in Glastonbury when the Ozric tentacles where playing, f***ing crusty bilge with the added disadvantage of horrid smells.

:eek:

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
Only tend to go to gigs if I really want to see a band, but have to say I also thought Primal Scream were average at best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here