Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Albion signing EVER

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Barry Lloyd thread reminded me of some very good signings he made. But I just cannot forget the terrible one's either.
I am sure we have had this thread before but who's the worst signing you can remember.

To start us off

Mark Farrington. £100,000 from Feynoord. replacement for John Byrne. Whoever scouted this guy needed their head examined.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Given how skint we were at the time, the Turienzo 150k f*** up takes some beating

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Paul Kitson. Despite the fact that he had been a good player, during his time at the Albion he was what is commonly known in military circles as a waste of rations. It was sad that we didn't get to see the best of him, due largely to injury, it made you wonder who conducted his medical before he was invited to put pen to paper.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Barry Lloyd thread reminded me of some very good signings he made. But I just cannot forget the terrible one's either.
I am sure we have had this thread before but who's the worst signing you can remember.

To start us off

Mark Farrington. £100,000 from Feynoord. replacement for John Byrne. Whoever scouted this guy needed their head examined.

Sigh... not this old chestnut again.

For a start, he cost £60,000, not expensive considering that we were in 2nd division at the time (the £100,000 would have been the maximum possible, depending on number of appearances). He didn't work out, mainly because he had some injury problems but he scored 4 goals in 15 starts for the Albion, which isn't too dreadful.

I don't know why there's such a myth about Farrington. There have been strikers with worse records: Justin Fashanu cost nearly twice as much and scored two goals in 16 appearances for example. Alan Biley cost a similar amount to Farrington and had a worse record, 8 goals in 34 starts, the same record as Alan Duffy who cost £10,000 (at a time when that was a lot of money) and scored his goals in a lower division.

I wouldn't have Farrington in my top 20 worse signings. As WW points out £150k for Turienzo was a shocker, Jason Peake was a shocker but I'd plump for Mickey Thomas as the worst,he cost £350,000 and just took the piss.

May 22, 2008
Sigh... not this old chestnut again.

For a start, he cost £60,000, not expensive considering that we were in 2nd division at the time (the £100,000 would have been the maximum possible, depending on number of appearances). He didn't work out, mainly because he had some injury problems but he scored 4 goals in 15 starts for the Albion, which isn't too dreadful.

I don't know why there's such a myth about Farrington. There have been strikers with worse records: Justin Fashanu cost nearly twice as much and scored two goals in 16 appearances for example. Alan Biley cost a similar amount to Farrington and had a worse record, 8 goals in 34 starts, the same record as Alan Duffy who cost £10,000 (at a time when that was a lot of money) and scored his goals in a lower division.

I wouldn't have Farrington in my top 20 worse signings. As WW points out £150k for Turienzo was a shocker, Jason Peake was a shocker but I'd plump for Mickey Thomas as the worst,he cost £350,000 and just took the piss.
Alan Biley
was my pick for you guys to young he was a week in week out goal
scorer for POMPEY but that changed with us. 8 goals in 34 games he was a joke

man had a strange style would pull his long sleeves over his hands!!!! :albion2:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Tureinzo would be my pick but we bought Micky Thomas for £350,000, he messed about and we ended up selling him to Stoke a few months later for £150,000. Jason Peake was signed by Jimmy Case who was utterly clueless as a manager and Farrington had injuries. Justin Fashinu was a bad idea as well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Turienzo, if ever there was proof that the manager should not have interference in his choice of players it was this dud being forced on McGhee. Didn't we also have to pay a fortune to get shot of him as well.

Brady and DK f***ed up big time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here