Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worlds best Bars (It is friday )

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The other night 6 or 7 of us were discussing whilst downing a few pints where are the worlds great pubs and bars. 3 picks each.

The River Cafe - Brooklyn - Amazing views across the river to lower Manhattan whilst sipping the best Screwdrivers on the planet.

Alchemia - Krakow, Poland - Walking through a wardrobe to the back bar, where an eclectic mix of people sit around chilling and listen to Howling Wolf and Captain Beefheart in the strangest of surroundings.

Blues/Barazza - Camps Bay, Cape town - Watching the African sun set whilst sitting on a beach cafe/bar sipping Harvey Wallbangers amongst georgeously, indecently clad girls, young enough to be my daughters.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The Blue Ship at the Haven. CAMRA Heritage pub, and a fantastic place to spend an evening, with the fire ablaze and a few ales. Shame about the brewery, but the beer is good, and the food is clasic pub grub.

Cozzies Bar or the Queens Arms on the Dhekelia - Larnaca strip are two favourites I have used frequently when abroad, great atmosphere, music, footie on the box, just what I like when away.

The Golden Rule in Ambleside, fantastic, unspoilt pub in a slightly tourisy town in the lake district, but what great beer. "Do you do food?" "Yup, we have nuts and crisps (plain)". We shall be frequenting this pub on 7th March, in anticipation of 3 points the next day :jester:

Desmond's Tavern, Park Avenue NYC. A bit of a dive run, unsurprisingly, by Irish fellas, but the beer is pretty good, the service is bang on, they have all the sport on, and a half decent jukebox for the US, and the operate a killer buyback system where last time I was there I only paid for 1 in 2 drinks. Happy days.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Da Dunker in Berlin. Old school rock bar. Looks like a Mad Max convention and every other beer is free. Not to everyone's taste but a great night out if you are into that kinda thing.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Da Dunker in Berlin. Old school rock bar. Looks like a Mad Max convention and every other beer is free. Not to everyone's taste but a great night out if you are into that kinda thing.

Leatherwear ?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I went to a very cool one in Hamburg called Au Quai (as in "ok") which is right down by the harbour and has massive glass windows facing the water. It's difficult to concentrate on chatting up women at 2am when a) you're drunk and b) you've got ships the size of the Empire State building on its side floating past about 20 yards away. A shipspotter's wet dream.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I'd have to go with Lafitte's Blacksmith Bar in New Orleans, but it's been a while since I was there.

Built in the 1770's (old for the yanks) it is rumoured to be the blacksmith shop where the pirate Jean Lafitte hawked his stolen loot. Not at all modernized since then (well maybe the bathroom and fridges but you get the point) the place is dead cool.

My odd second choice is the Cheesecake factory at Macy's in San Francisco. It has a rooftop bar area where you can look out over some of San Francisco. Tons of good food cheap by San Fran standards.

Third choice easy the tiki bar at the very end of the pier in Coco Beach Florida. Quiet but for the people who want to drink, and that's about all you can do there. Sit at the very end of the small pier drink and watch the surfers head in. Brilliant!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Da Dunker? Where is this? I live in Berlin but not heard of it and google isnt coming up with anything.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
istockphoto_2757766_sheep_bar.jpg

....oh sorry wrong sort of baaaaa

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
The Golden Rule in Ambleside, fantastic, unspoilt pub in a slightly tourisy town in the lake district, but what great beer. "Do you do food?" "Yup, we have nuts and crisps (plain)". We shall be frequenting this pub on 7th March, in anticipation of 3 points the next day :jester:

:lol:

you remembered the name :lol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Da Dunker? Where is this? I live in Berlin but not heard of it and google isnt coming up with anything.

It was a taxi ride from wher we stayed at the Hotel transit Loft. I shall find a link for you. Maybe my spelling was wrong. Back in a sec..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bar 25, Berlin - in a word mental...especially Sunday afternoons.
Red Bar, Moscow - a cocktail bar at the top of a tower block with an amazing view of Moscow.
I'll let you know when I think of a suitable third.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There was a cracking bar on a small island in the middle of Lake Malawi. Freshly cooked sardines, chilled Carlsberg Greens or Browns and superb panoramic views. The only trouble was it was a 10km kayak across to it and the journey back was interesting after a few too many Browns. :lol: :nono:

Mr Frog Bar in Quito was a blast. Sexy Latino Chicas regularly dancing on the bar (you had to put your head between their legs to get served) cheap tequila and cracking live bands. Sadly an American bought it and turned it into a net cafe. :nono:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know the Duncker Club on Duncker Str?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you google The Bunker club berlin you can find some mentions of it but I'm not sure it is the same plave. I still have some flyers for it at home so I will PM you when I find them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here