Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World`s top beer

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
According to BEERADVOCATE and RATEBEER, probably the world`s 2 biggest beer forums the title goes to Westvleteren 12.

I would not necessarily disagree with that but what other 'proper' beers are favourites out there.

and no crappy Pilsners pleeeeeeeeease.

humpy

Mar 13, 2006
worthing
According to BEERADVOCATE and RATEBEER, probably the world`s 2 biggest beer forums the title goes to Westvleteren 12.

I would not necessarily disagree with that but what other 'proper' beers are favourites out there.

and no crappy Pilsners pleeeeeeeeease.

didn't he manage rangers and holland ...............................................taxi

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Brugge Tripel. :drool:

brugtripel_glasenlogo.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Thats a coincidence. I had one of those on tuesday night.

gorgeous beer.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I think part of Westvleteren's mystique and kudos stems simply from its unavailability. It's still a bloody good beer though, but not quite my number 1.

The exact order of preference changes with mood, but would be something like this:

1: Rochefort 10
2: Westvleteren 12
3: Orval
4: Chimay Grand Reserve (Chimay Bleue in 75cl bottles, if laid down for a year of so.)
5: Rochefort 8
6: Het Kapittel Prior (top non-Trappist brew)
7: Westmalle Tripel
8: Achel Bruin
9: Abbaye Des Rocs
10: Harveys Old (Token non-Belgian to show balance)

With special mentions to Old Peculier, Urthel Hop-it, & Val Dieu Grand Cru

Oh, and for seasonal beers, you can't go wrong with Gouden Carolus Christmas...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think part of Westvleteren's mystique and kudos stems simply from its unavailability. It's still a bloody good beer though, but not quite my number 1.

The exact order of preference changes with mood, but would be something like this:

1: Rochefort 10
2: Westvleteren 12
3: Orval
4: Chimay Grand Reserve (Chimay Bleue in 75cl bottles, if laid down for a year of so.)
5: Rochefort 8
6: Het Kapittel Prior (top non-Trappist brew)
7: Westmalle Tripel
8: Achel Bruin
9: Abbaye Des Rocs
10: Harveys Old (Token non-Belgian to show balance)

With special mentions to Old Peculier, Urthel Hop-it, & Val Dieu Grand Cru

Oh, and for seasonal beers, you can't go wrong with Gouden Carolus Christmas...

I have a crate of Westy 8, Westmalle triple and doubel , a Chimay blue and my favourite a St Barnardus abt 12 sitting in my store since a recent trip, they are going down quicker than a tarts drawers though at the moment. Oh and some Rocky 8`s as well.

I had a Achel Bruin for the first time the other night and though I thought it was good I was surprised how sour it was.

English ales............... Had a Arundel Stronghold yesterday and that was nice.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
I had a Achel Bruin for the first time the other night and though I thought it was good I was surprised how sour it was.

Not sure that wasn't a bit off - the Achel Bruin I drink isn't sour at all (certainly not in the Rodenbach league, now THAT's sour), just a fine brown Trappist ale.

And I drink a lot of Achel. The Achelse Kluis monastery is within cycling distance of here, and makes a fine outing on a sunny weekend. Takes about 90 minutes to get there...

And about 4 hours to get home afterwards...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not sure that wasn't a bit off - the Achel Bruin I drink isn't sour at all (certainly not in the Rodenbach league, now THAT's sour), just a fine brown Trappist ale.

And I drink a lot of Achel. The Achelse Kluis monastery is within cycling distance of here, and makes a fine outing on a sunny weekend. Takes about 90 minutes to get there...

And about 4 hours to get home afterwards...

It may well have been off but as I had never had one before I thought that maybe that was how it was, but I have to say it was not unpleasant.

I do though pick up on sourness quite a bit in beers so maybe its just me.

I bet you dont pay 5 pound a beer like I did in this restaurant though do you :ohmy:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
It may well have been off but as I had never had one before I thought that maybe that was how it was, but I have to say it was not unpleasant.

I do though pick up on sourness quite a bit in beers so maybe its just me.

I bet you dont pay 5 pound a beer like I did in this restaurant though do you :ohmy:

In bars I pay €2.50-€4 for the good stuff (rubbish Dutch piss is cheaper), or €1 (Duvel) to €2 (Rochefort 10) in the supermarket.

I think the Achel Bruin was €1.20 a bottle last time I bought some from the abbey...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
But this is NSC, it must be Harvey's surely?

Dont worry the Harveys boys will turn up. They wont be able to help themselves.

Be prepared though, they`ll come in waves.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Erdinger Weiss.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Loads of places do it. It does irritate me with this 'washing the glass first' thing though.

Used to irritate me too, but it cuts down the amount of unecessary bubbling you get from pouring beer into a dry glass that may have microscopic specks of dirt on the side. With some frothy Belgian brews it can make the difference between getting a decent glass of beer and a table covered in froth. The done thing is to empty out any water onto the floor before pouring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here