Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World cup bid,it never was ever down just to football.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Much has been said about the world cup bid,and now the blame game will be played-out. For me and like many if the world cup was just about football then we really should have got it,but it is not. So where did it all go wrong ? Putting my head on the block i go for a certain Joao Havelange Fifa president from 74-98 Havelange was successfully in raising the number of teams qualifying from South America from an average of 2 plus either hosts or play-offs place too 4 plus hosts or play-off not bad for a conitnent of 11 countries 12 if you count Surimane ! Compare that to other conitnents and the average number that qualify,that says it all really. :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its purely a cash decision.

I said on here weeks ago that the fact we could host a World Cup tomorrow is the WEAKEST aspect of our bid, and that Russia would get it. Done deal. FIFA will award it to nations that need major building projects. Stadiums, hotels, transport, infrastructure - these things involve multi-BILLION pound contracts to be chucked around,and thats a mighty big trough for a lot of corporate snouts to get buried into.

The stage in Geneva today was packed to the rafters with oligarchs like that gurning chimp Abramovich, followed by a herd of oil barons from Qatar, all standing there with old Sepp for the cameras. It ain't rocket science. Palms have been greased, deals have been done, and the notion that a footballing nation with a (logically) strong case to host a tournament would actually be awarded it was just naiive. Its never about the fans. Its never about who could lay on the best show. Its all about $$$.

2 votes for England ? Tells you all you need to know. Complete and utter carve up, and has been from the start. Just horrifying how many millions our FA has poured into what was always going to be a doomed bid - I hope they never bother trying again.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
It all came down to envelopes of dirty money, Gold plated prostitutes & Jack Warner selling us down the river.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Easy,pretty near spot-on for me in what you say,just unfortunate someone 'big' in the English games does not go public in what you say.

westy1983

Feb 28, 2005
Hove
Much has been said about the world cup bid,and now the blame game will be played-out. For me and like many if the world cup was just about football then we really should have got it,but it is not. So where did it all go wrong ? Putting my head on the block i go for a certain Joao Havelange Fifa president from 74-98 Havelange was successfully in raising the number of teams qualifying from South America from an average of 2 plus either hosts or play-offs place too 4 plus hosts or play-off not bad for a conitnent of 11 countries 12 if you count Surimane ! Compare that to other conitnents and the average number that qualify,that says it all really. :shrug:

Is that the same South America with three different world cup winners and 9 world cups between them? Seems like a pretty strong continent.

As someone else said, it all seems to come down to this 'new frontier' rubbish now. Where can Blatter and co look good by sending a WC too or make a fortune in new building contracts etc.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Should we just accept that nobody likes us anymore and just withdraw from everything, we are never going to win Eurovision again so stuff that crap...after today the sentiment is that it is unlikely that we will ever get another World Cup...when it comes down to it the English (British) are pariahs.

I said on here weeks ago that the fact we could host a World Cup tomorrow is the WEAKEST aspect of our bid, and that Russia would get it. Done deal. FIFA will award it to nations that need major building projects. Stadiums, hotels, transport, infrastructure - these things involve multi-BILLION pound contracts to be chucked around,and thats a mighty big trough for a lot of corporate snouts to get buried into.

The stage in Geneva today was packed to the rafters with oligarchs like that gurning chimp Abramovich, followed by a herd of oil barons from Qatar, all standing there with old Sepp for the cameras. It ain't rocket science. Palms have been greased, deals have been done, and the notion that a footballing nation with a (logically) strong case to host a tournament would actually be awarded it was just naiive. Its never about the fans. Its never about who could lay on the best show. Its all about $$$.

2 votes for England ? Tells you all you need to know. Complete and utter carve up, and has been from the start. Just horrifying how many millions our FA has poured into what was always going to be a doomed bid - I hope they never bother trying again.

To some extent, I agree. Certainly it's more about the money than about the fans - but then that can be directed at our own FA - but there is a clear difference between the decision to go for Russia and the decision to go for Qatar. Yes, they both involve major infrastructure projects, and yes, there's loads of money swilling around. But at least Russia is a footballing country, which has hundreds of thousands who play, hundreds of thousands who go to matches, have produced some great players, and have played in the World Cup. It's a proper footballing country, and I have no problems with it hosting a World Cup. Qatar, however... I despair.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
westy,my point is Europe gets i think 14 teams to the world cup out of 50+ countries so odds of around 4/1 to qualify not quite the same as South American countries chances which are close to 2/1. Surely that can't be right ?

westy1983

Feb 28, 2005
Hove
I see your point but I still think the pedigree of 10 or so South American countries warrants their inclusion to that level whilst not diminishing the quality of the World Cup, which is what it should be, a world cup. Hence why 10 out 30 Asian countries aren't included and only 0.5 countries from Oceana out of god knows how many. The figures probably look worse for Europe too as European nations have kept breaking up all fallen apart completely in the last 20 or so years.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Irrespective of whatever goes on at FIFA - they love (politically) to leave a "legacy". I've lost count of times people have reeled off the stadiums in London and the North West whilst I've tried to explain that they would rather a stadium built in Bristol, then use both Arsenal and a new Spurs stadium.

No brainer it went somewhere else - on the positive side, I reckon we could do quite well somewhere like Russia.

At least we won't have to worry too much about the weather.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
2 votes for England for 2018 and 1 vote for Australia for 2022, ffs. Football is now dead in the water here, no one is going to plough the sort of cash that frank Lowy has been doing into the game and dear old Frank will be dead before the next bidding round for 2026. FIFA say it's all about spreading the world game to all corners of the earth - like f*** it is, Qatar in air conditioned stadiums, might suit those pampered EPL players but seriously....:facepalm:

At least The Ashes cheered me up no end this morning, never have I had such an enjoyable breakfast.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

perfectly put sir.................nail on the head........in a nutshell

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I find the groaning about how it's not in these hallowed and depressively grey isles as monotonous and ill-thought. The whole suggestion of us deserving it and it always being played in pristine establishments with carpet-like pitches and unblue skies is ridiculous. Romance is never something of perfection. A love for something is accepting it's many shapes and sizes, it's sudden unseemly bulges, it's burst organs, it's dribbling bleeds, it's ghastly aromas, it's odd flavours, it's stark greying with age.
Fundamentally, we're here to love football and not FIFA. It's a gargantuan and ugly organisation that carries no true spirit of sportsmanship inside it. But then it's a business and representative of a world gone money-mad. A world and organisation that we are inside and not the noble members of.
It's selection of Russia seems a reasonable one. A vast nation still worming it's way into a global market that hasn't been used to host a large tournament like this. I think it should be an interesting escapade and much more fascinating than the idea of more Sun-driven plastic flags and stadia we're all so used to.
Qatar seems a bit stupid, but then it might be an accidental classic.

I'd be happy for it not to be in England until 2030 or beyond. The world is a much more interesting place than just the one i know and see daily.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here