Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup 1982 withdrawal considered due to Falklands War

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
BBC News - World Cup withdrawal considered amid Falklands War

Amazing to read this in the government papers being released as part of the 30 Year Rule.

We would have been denied England's first appearance at the finals in 12 years, Robson's first minute goal in the win against France, Northern Ireland's shock victory over Spain and Scotland's, um, first round elimination.

Glad the Government made the right decision in the end.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Was quite a situation for Argentinian players in England, the highest profile being Ardilles & Villa, who both left Spurs for a while.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I remember that as a kid was upset at the time to think we could pull out especially after watching my first world cup Argentina 78 without us in
The world cup then seemed a very special occasion a whole month of live football when all year round there were just highlights except FA cup final , European cup final & England v Scotland
Also the remember the opening game of 82 world cup not being shown on tv because of a tv dispute, gutted

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Not sure what game it was (might have been wolves 82 ) but as we were leaving the goldstone I remember the voice coming over the tannoy that we were going to war with Argentina over the Falklands
Funny how some things as a kid stick in your memory I was about 13 remember all the dads talking about it down Fonthill road before a massive blast of seagulls seagulls as we walked under the bridge at the Conway bus depot always used to love that after a game

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Eliminated without losing a game if my memory serves me right. Shame our best 2 players, Keegan & Brooking could only manage 20 minutes of the lst game.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
On the BBC sport website it says a 'pullout' was considered, which surprises me a tad, as I've got one of those in a trunk somewhere, with all the scores neatly filled in :smile:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
On the BBC sport website it says a 'pullout' was considered, which surprises me a tad, as I've got one of those in a trunk somewhere, with all the scores neatly filled in :smile:

I read it as that as well! :clap:

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
_64987449_64987444.jpg

Greatest England kit ever.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The first ame v France was certainly interesting.

We were outnumbered about four to one, with no real segregation, and it was possibly the hottest I've ever been at a football match.

Happy days.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
All these 30 year rule papers released are dull, struggling to remember anything interesting :shrug:

I disagree. I think they add a lot of colour to what is known of national and international incidents and events, and show a more personal, human side to some of the decision-making that happened behind closed doors. Maybe it just appeals to my interest in the history of this country!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I disagree. I think they add a lot of colour to what is known of national and international incidents and events, and show a more personal, human side to some of the decision-making that happened behind closed doors. Maybe it just appeals to my interest in the history of this country!

If I was born when they announced the truth about Bletchley Park in the 70s then that would have been interesting.
The fact that the home nations considered not taking part in the 82 WC isn't that surprising.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Part right, part wrong (I think).

We had just beaten Wolves in an end of season midweek game but I think the news was that HMS Sheffield had been hit and this was the 1st bit of 'bad' news to come through and news would have taken some time to filter through so the scale of the 'hit' was yet to be known.

Certainly made for a very sombre crowd leaving the game.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If I was born when they announced the truth about Bletchley Park in the 70s then that would have been interesting.
The fact that the home nations considered not taking part in the 82 WC isn't that surprising.

yes the emphasis should be strongly on "considered". i imagine all sorts of things are considered, and often news is create because someone floats an idea or writes a paper on how to respond to some random scenario.

btw they didnt give up the full sp on Bletchley until the 90's, there are textbooks from around late 80's that still had ENIAC as the first computer and no mention of Colossus. that should have been a big day "oh yes we had an electronic computer a couple of year before the americans."

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham

We had just beaten Wolves in an end of season midweek game but I think the news was that HMS Sheffield had been hit and this was the 1st bit of 'bad' news to come through and news would have taken some time to filter through so the scale of the 'hit' was yet to be known.

Certainly made for a very sombre crowd leaving the game.[/QUOTE
I was only 13 at the time so your accounts are probably more accurate than mine

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
btw they didnt give up the full sp on Bletchley until the 90's, there are textbooks from around late 80's that still had ENIAC as the first computer and no mention of Colossus. that should have been a big day "oh yes we had an electronic computer a couple of year before the americans."

And we smashed it up :facepalm:

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill

Certainly made for a very sombre crowd leaving the game.

From (admittedly sketchy) memory, I thought we played Spurs at home the night HMS Sheffield was hit?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here