Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Working in London - advice

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Hi all,

As you can get all manner of useful information on NSC.

I'm thinking of changing jobs at the moment and I've seen one that I like the look of in London.

I'm after a bit of advice really. If I were to go for it and get it I'm not sure whether it would be best to live in London as well, or to move all the way back to Brighton and commute.

I'd be grateful for any of your experiences of either.

As a bit of backround the job I'm interested in is about £32,000 pa, and wherever I move I'll be wanting to rent property.

Cheers

HS

Last edited:

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
commuting costs £3,000 or so per year and if you can suffer losing 3 hours a day or your time on a train then go for it cos london's not a patch on brighton to live in.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
afters said:
commuting costs £3,000 or so per year and if you can suffer losing 3 hours a day or your time on a train then go for it cos london's not a patch on brighton to live in.

what he said...although my ticket costs £3150 as I have "all zones"

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I definately wouldn't live in London.

I enjoyed many years of cummuting, but recently gave it all up for a local job. London's a great place to work, but the commuting gets you down after a while. Mind you, I lasted nearly 10 years there before I'd had enough.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm biased but seven years of hurt, frustration, delays and all at vast expenditure have failed to put me off the three hours of my life per day that I spend commuting - Brighton as a place to live is, with all of its imperfections, simply beyond comparison with anywhere else in the UK, IMHO.

But: when I first bought in '97, buying in Brighton meant you saved serious money versus London, even with commuting costs thrown in. The price gap has slammed shut since then.

D

Deleted User X18H

The commute is fine after a few months it becomes a way of life you choices are the ..........0641 form Brighton arrive London Bridge 0744 the 0717 Brighton change East Croydon pick up the 0721 from Hove at 809 from Croyscum arrive LB 8.25 ish the 0733
to LB Straight through arrive 08.42ish the 0747 change for a variety of LB trains arrive 9 ish 8.02 from Brighton arrive LB 9.08

Homeward bound 17.45 Eastbourne change Haywards Heath 18.03 LB to Brighton 1816 Littlehampton change Preston Park arrive B'ton 07.25 and do move to Brighton not Hove otherwise its one step from heaven.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Id live in London for a bit.

I moved up and have had a great 6 years of it but now getting on a bit so might look to move out now I cant quite keep up with the pace of it all like I used to.

Commuting will effectively cost you around 3 months rent if you are getting your own place and about 6 months if you are going to do a house share.

There are some quality areas in london and some very crap ones but if you look arounf Im sure youll find something youd like.

afters said:

Ahhh but that's a good hours drinking on the way home................:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Also depends what part of london you will work in..the commute to victoria, ldn bridge is ok but its the trek to the office from the station which can be a real pain

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Modern technology has made commuting more bareable. T-mobile will be testing Hi-Speed Wi-Fi internet access on the London to Brighton line next month. 3 hours more NSC everyday! Other than that MP3 players and portable games machines take the boredom away.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I think it all depends on how much travelling time you're prepared to put up with. If you can find a good area/ place to live relatively near to work, I'd say go for that. Obviously we all know Brighton's a good place to live but so is London; even South London.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
ditchy said:
Also depends what part of london you will work in..the commute to victoria, ldn bridge is ok but its the trek to the office from the station which can be a real pain

The job I'm applying for is a 15 minute walk from Victoria, or 5 from Pimlico.

D

Deleted User X18H

Hmmmmmmmmm 0717 Brighton to Victoria sounds ideal for a 9am start.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Tricky Dicky said:
I've never really had a problem with the comute - I've done Shoreham to London Bridge for 16 years now. It's a right pain in the 'arris if the trains are buggered tho.

yes but you've gotten really good at sleeping on the train!! :cool:

The only time I hated commuting was when I'd had a big night out before!! Getting up to get a bloody early train with a stonking hangover is not pleasant!! :( :angel:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
tedebear said:
yes but you've gotten really good at sleeping on the train!! :cool:

The only time I hated commuting was when I'd had a big night out before!! Getting up to get a bloody early train with a stonking hangover is not pleasant!! :( :angel:

Didn't stop you doing yer knitting tho did it !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here