Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Woolies

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's the tell tale sign, that your local branch, won't be there in a months time.

Having just returned from mine, I couldn't help but notice there were no black wine gums, in the pick n mix.
I suppose they have already been diverted away from general sale for a higher price on the black (no pun intended), market.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What's the tell tale sign, that your local branch, won't be there in a months time.
The staff have faces so glum you would think they are really looking forward to Easter.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The staff have faces so glum you would think they are really looking forward to Easter.

The bloke on my till, was being trained, nice career move.
I hope he doesn't go on to, join me, as a postie.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder how long the 'essential maintenance' will take :lol:.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We bought a 12' trampoline from Woolworth Online two years ago. Good price - good product. This is a company that have been mismanaged into administration - but no shortage of people lining up to buy it.

Donk the Seagull

Registered Legend
Jul 26, 2004
All their suppliers are pulling the plugs on the contracts to stuff like newspapers sweets etc are not being supplied to them until they get out of administration

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think their main problem is that they sell a bit of everything, but most of the items are cheaper elsewhere. I noticed that they are selling an extension lead with a surge protector for £16.99 when in Morrisons they are two for £3.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
in Australia Woolworths is one of the leading supermarkets

Isn't even historically connected apparently. Started as the name Wallworths or something as a cheeky play on the name of the other company, then decided to register it with the same spelling and got away with it.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Isn't even historically connected apparently. Started as the name Wallworths or something as a cheeky play on the name of the other company, then decided to register it with the same spelling and got away with it.

Interesting little story. All because of a dare!

Woolworths opened its first store, the Woolworths Stupendous Bargain Basement, in the old Imperial Arcade in Pitt Street, Sydney, on 5 December 1924. Its nominal capital was just £25,000 and although 15,000 shares were offered to the public, only 11,707 shares were subscribed for by 29 people, including the five founders – Percy Christmas, Stanley Chatterton, Cecil Scott Waine, George Creed and Ernest Williams.

The name on the draft prospectus drawn up by Cecil Scott Waine was "Wallworths Bazaar" – a play on the F.W. Woolworth name (the owner of the Woolworth's chain in the United States and United Kingdom). However, according to Ernest Robert Williams, Percy Christmas dared him to register the name Woolworths instead, which he succeeded in doing after finding out the name was available for use in New South Wales.

Accordingly, Woolworths Ltd in Australia has no connection with the F.W. Woolworth Company in the United States.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I find it hard to believe that a company who can supply pick n mix fried eggs, to the standard tha woolies did, yesterday, is facing liquidation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here