Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Woodward?

philelc

Dec 3, 2005
Middleton on Sea
This is a snippet of what Clive Woodward said yesterday

I helped bring him here, and he is the boss. He buys the players and picks the team. That's something I hope to be doing one day, although I might have to drop down a couple of divisions to do it."

Does fancy coming along the coast then
Is this a message to Dick

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Franks Wild Years said:
Don't want him any where near the albion. Deffinatly not a football man

Seems above his station. He's only been in football about a year and seems to think the game owes him a job in management.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Woodward's a bit of a strange one.

As a general rule I'm all for people being able to change tack in life and try something else as a a job - often in the face of resistance or scepticism. I've done it myself, and I'm sure others on here have as well.

But as well as all the 'he's not a football man' stuff from the years in the game point of view, there's also something about him as a person.

Maybe you can get away with being totally aloof in rugby, but it just doesn't seem right for football.

You'd love him.

One of his motivational wheezes when he was London Irish manager was to put different numbers on the backs of player's shirt to enforce the point that he wanted all his players to be capable of playing out of position.

It was marvellous stuff. Our prop was wearing the fly-halves' shirt, and our full-back, the flanker's.

He was an original thinker, and no mistake. We said when he walked out on us, that we would never see his like again. And we haven't, our prayers were answered.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
London Irish said:
You'd love him.

One of his motivational wheezes when he was London Irish manager was to put different numbers on the backs of player's shirt to enforce the point that he wanted all his players to be capable of playing out of position.

It was marvellous stuff. Our prop was wearing the fly-halves' shirt, and our full-back, the flanker's.

Sounds rather like the manager we have at our club, although he does allow the players to wear the right shirts just in the wrong positions!

E

enigma

He didnt even know what the offside rule was, he had to ask Saints players! That was in one of the papers.

Good luck to him, but I'd be very surprised if he made it. I cant quite see how he earns his corn at Southampton, particularly given they have been relegated and have less money available.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Please enough of the Woodward rubbish.

I know a Saints fan who banged on and on about him being the future and bringing new training techniques to the game...

.. at the start of the season.

Look at them now.

Well, the games moved on (especially in the Premiership) and alot of the things that Woodward probably knows tons about are already here.

For f*cks sake, he's a RUGBY COACH.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I watched an article on Woodward on the news yesterday where he was at Saint's state of the art new training and science complex.

He was going through various complex proceedures with some of the players.

So If Woodward had a good coach working alongside him, would he actually need to know much about the football side of things ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here