Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wood wanted at the Amex...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can I just say, having sat next to him at the sponsors dinner with some other NSCers who will echo my sentiments i'm sure, that he's a really nice and down to earth lad. That's all.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Don't twist the conversation to Barnes (again) so you can go off on one (again)... actually, as I stated on the Barnes thread, yes, I believe Barnes is a far better player than Wood... his positional sense is light years ahead of Wood... he is also better technically (with his feet)... also, he is far more mobile... oh, and I'm not apologising for seeing things through BHAFC-tinted glasses either...

I agree with you that Barnes is currently a better player. However, when Barnes was Woods' age he was also rubbish in the Championship and was written off by a lot of Argyle fans, and subsequently sent on loan to a League One club. We saw his potential, signed him on a permanent and he got 20 goals for us.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Don't twist the conversation to Barnes (again) so you can go off on one (again)... actually, as I stated on the Barnes thread, yes, I believe Barnes is a far better player than Wood... his positional sense is light years ahead of Wood... he is also better technically (with his feet)... also, he is far more mobile... oh, and I'm not apologising for seeing things through BHAFC-tinted glasses either...
Where am I twisting the conversation. You also suggest the reason I'm anti Barnes is because I don't like him, even though because of idiots making comments like that, I have said time and time again I don't dislike him. I've nothing against him, other than I don't rate him.

Do you have a VENDETTA against Barnes? Do you have selective memory? BTW I wouldn't swap Barnes for Wood... I know Wood is still young, but on the evidence of what I have seen, he is utter, utter gash...
You said Wood was Utter Utter Gash. How I am twisting what you said?

I would say its you with a vendetta, a vendetta against Wood. He's utter utter Gash. Nice summing up. Good argument? :tosser:

Wood and Barnes have similar records. I doubt Wood missed nearly as many sitters as Barnes next season. If neither were our player, and I had to pick one, I'd pick WOod every day. I don't think he'll be good enough in the long run, but in my opinion he's got a lot better chance of "making it" as Barnes.

There is certainly not a major gulf between them as you try and paint out, but then as I say, you see everything through blue and white specs, as you almost admitted, so that proves you cannot have a fair opinion on players.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
There was a spell last season where he looked really good, but it was about a month and the rest of the time he was pretty dire. But Gus sees something in him, he's been right most of the time.

Hard to get too excited about the prospect of Wood coming back though.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
They loaned him out to a League 1 side so he could play some first team football to help with his development (footballers don't all come ready-made as global superstars as soon as they become adults).

Clearly they think he has the potential (that means that he is not the finished article yet, but he has the talent, and with ongoing coaching and development he may be able to grown into a player good enough to play in the Premier League).

Do you understand that or do you think that they should just sack him as if he hasn't made it yet at the ripe old age of 19 then he never will?

When Arsenal loaned Jack Wilshere to Bolton, did they do that because they didn't think he could make it at the top level of the Premier League? Or did they do it because he wasn't ready to hold down a regular starting place at the top level of the league, so they wanted him to play first team football for a lower team to help him develop into a player who could handle it at a top team?

I cant actually believe I'm still trying to explain this, I'm sure 99% of every one else on this thread understands.

Please don't compare Wood to JW, that is just stupid again... JS is a totally different player, and he was apparently loaned from a top 4 club to another EPL club... versus the 'majestic' Wood - EPL club to Championship (failed loan), and on to L1 club...

The funniest thing you say is "footballers don't all come ready-made as global superstars as soon as they become adults"... that is certainly the truth in Wood's case (!!), and he is, IMHO, just not ready for the Championship, which is the point I am repeatedly making...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I disagree. He could easily get to the level required to play for a bottom third Premier League club within the next few years.

OK... but what about next season... is he good enough for us in the Championship?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It depends what you mean by EPL standard. Starting 11, nowhere near. Subs bench as a promising youngster who you can bring on as a sub when comfortable and develop to be a starting EPL player in a couple of years - quite possibly. And I assume that is what he is aiming for.

OK... I hope his dreams come true with West Brom then...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No chance there may have been a c, d or e then. Only two choices. That must suggest A] You know the exact reason why, or B] you're a complete knob. And I don't think we need a c,d, or e on this one. I'm going for b:nono:

How pleasant of you, Mr B... his contract was terminated at Barnsley because he was not deemed good enough by their management team... OK?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with you that Barnes is currently a better player. However, when Barnes was Woods' age he was also rubbish in the Championship and was written off by a lot of Argyle fans, and subsequently sent on loan to a League One club. We saw his potential, signed him on a permanent and he got 20 goals for us.

Good point, but I still don't want Wood back... he is West Brom's problem now... and good luck to them and him...

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
Played at the World Cup for NZ... not fcuking Brazil...

That's proper funny!! I actually laughed out loud.

At first I thought definitely NO.... But he is only 19. Might be good to have in the squad.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
How pleasant of you, Mr B... his contract was terminated at Barnsley because he was not deemed good enough by their management team... OK?
And this is the same management team that signed Liam Dickinson, and got sacked?? I'd say thats a f***ing plus, if those muppets don't rate you? OK

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He was reasonable for a while, but his form fell off a cliff after he came back from China. Watching him at Notts County he was particularly dismal, constantly on his heels, won nothing in the air, never put in the workrate to get in front of his marker to receive the ball to feet, and that seemed fairly typical of his late-season form and performances. I'm disturbed to say that he was almost Gatting-like at times, which is moderately horrifying in itself.

Gotta say, I'd be fairly underwhelmed if we signed him permanently. For me it'd mean we STILL need to sign two more quality strikers on top of his arrival. Perhaps if he got a permanent deal here we'd see more from him in the Championship, but for me the jury is still very much out on whether he's really got what it takes to make it as a player here.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Ask yourself this Wood fans... why did Barnsley of the Championship cancel his loan last season (which is why he ended up with us in L1)?

Is it because:
(a) he is ready for the Championship, but they don't like Kiwi's?
(b) he isn't ready and thinks he is better than he is?

I'm going for (b)...

Barnsley didn't cancel his loan, West Brom did because they didn't feel Barnsley were using him enough. When he first came to Brighton he certainly didnt seem fit, so perhaps WBA were right to cancel the loan, but there are two sides to this and we dont know why Barnsley weren't using him, maybe they didn't think he was good enough, maybe they should have got him fitter, or maybe the culture at Barnsley with players like Liam Dickinson around wasn't entirely about fitness.

FWIW he doesn't really excite me, but if Gus has seen enough in him over the last 3/4 of a season then who are we to argue.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Where am I twisting the conversation. You also suggest the reason I'm anti Barnes is because I don't like him, even though because of idiots making comments like that, I have said time and time again I don't dislike him. I've nothing against him, other than I don't rate him.

You said Wood was Utter Utter Gash. How I am twisting what you said?

I would say its you with a vendetta, a vendetta against Wood. He's utter utter Gash. Nice summing up. Good argument? :tosser:

Wood and Barnes have similar records. I doubt Wood missed nearly as many sitters as Barnes next season. If neither were our player, and I had to pick one, I'd pick WOod every day. I don't think he'll be good enough in the long run, but in my opinion he's got a lot better chance of "making it" as Barnes.

There is certainly not a major gulf between them as you try and paint out, but then as I say, you see everything through blue and white specs, as you almost admitted, so that proves you cannot have a fair opinion on players.

Well, we will have to agree to differ then Mr Burns... as I said earlier in this thread, I am hopeful we will sign 2 better strikers than Barnes (and maybe Hoskins) for next season... neither of these new players would be Wood, IMHO...

BTW, I gave my fuller arguments for why Wood is not good enough and Barnes is a good prospect in earlier posts, but you chose to post my 'summing up' accompanied by a w@nker sign instead of countering my reasoning, which I believe shows your lack of good character... enjoy your ongoing vendetta...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So you'd rather that he makes it as a Premier League player with West Brom than potentially with us, warranting a large transfer fee if we sold him?

Eh!? How did you get to that conclusion?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here