Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wood wanted at the Amex...

Snorfy

Jan 24, 2010
...........and it's a NO from me too.......that's (at least) three nos so you won't be going through to pre season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not debating whether he is or isn't good enough. The stupid part is you saying that you cant believe how deluded he is to think he can play in the league where his current club are already playing. What's he supposed to do? Contact a load of League 2 clubs and say "Hi, I'm only 19, I personally don't believe I am good enough for the Premier League (even though my Manager and the club who are paying my wages do) do you have any spaces in your team or should I maybe look a little lower or just give up altogether?

Maybe El-Abd should have done this a couple of seasons ago?

He's 19!!! And he play for a Premier League club!

Dear oh dear... has he ever played for West Brom? I mean the first team... if his club think he is at Prem standard, why did they loan him out to a L1 side? Now who's being stupid?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ummm he is 19.

It takes one promotion and suddenly everyone loses sight of a quality youngster. He had a massive contribution us walking the league and would be a welcome addition.

'woeful'? 'woeful'?

Unbelievable.

this 100%

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Let's put things into perspective here.

Torbjorn Agdestein, who is 3 months older than Chris Wood, has never played a single league game at any level in the English leagues, has only played in the Norwegian second tier and is capped at U19 level. Many people believe he should be pushing for a place in our squad next year.

Chris Wood has played against the best players in the World during his 16 caps at international level, regularly trains with Premier League players and coaches, has played a part in 3 PL games, 25 in the Championship and is reportedly extremely highly rated by numerous scouts and coaches.

It's also obvious which one is more rated by Gus, just look at which one made more appearances for us last year. Not a bad youth player to have as backup in my opinion.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
ummm HE IS 19.

It takes one promotion and suddenly everyone loses sight of a quality youngster. He had a massive contribution us walking the league and would be a welcome addition.

'Woeful'? 'WOEFUL'?

Unbelievable.

Massive contribution!!?? Now that is unbelievable! :lolol:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Well, it is my opinion, and I'm sticking with it... this is what I saw... if you think my post is one of the most stupid, I suggest you re-read NSC on any day... the fact is, he is currently an adequate L1 striker... that is it... no more... he may develop, and he may not... from what I've seen, he has a very, very long way to go... West Brom's reserves are welcome to him...
Yet at the same time you sing Ashley Barnes praises, even though their records are fairly similar, and Wood is a year or so younger than Barnes. It seems ones great and a real prospect, and ones shit and not worth the effort.

Could it just be you look at everything through blue and white specs. If it was Barnes on loan, and Wood under contract, now doubt you'd be saying Barnes aint worth it, and Wood is a real prospect.:facepalm:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Ask yourself this Wood fans... why did Barnsley of the Championship cancel his loan last season (which is why he ended up with us in L1)?

Is it because:
(a) he is ready for the Championship, but they don't like Kiwi's?
(b) he isn't ready and thinks he is better than he is?

I'm going for (b)...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yep. Are we a Premier League side?

No, but some are claiming he is close to EPL standard, and has a chance at West Brom's first team (they are in the Prem!)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Dear oh dear... has he ever played for West Brom? I mean the first team... if his club think he is at Prem standard, why did they loan him out to a L1 side? Now who's being stupid?

They loaned him out to a League 1 side so he could play some first team football to help with his development (footballers don't all come ready-made as global superstars as soon as they become adults).

Clearly they think he has the potential (that means that he is not the finished article yet, but he has the talent, and with ongoing coaching and development he may be able to grown into a player good enough to play in the Premier League).

Do you understand that or do you think that they should just sack him as if he hasn't made it yet at the ripe old age of 19 then he never will?

When Arsenal loaned Jack Wilshere to Bolton, did they do that because they didn't think he could make it at the top level of the Premier League? Or did they do it because he wasn't ready to hold down a regular starting place at the top level of the league, so they wanted him to play first team football for a lower team to help him develop into a player who could handle it at a top team?

I cant actually believe I'm still trying to explain this, I'm sure 99% of every one else on this thread understands.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Ask yourself this Wood fans... why did Barnsley of the Championship cancel his loan last season (which is why he ended up with us in L1)?

Is it because:

I'm going for (b)...

Have you ever asked him how good he thinks he is? How do you know all this?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
My problem is not with the man - he may or may not become a good striker, it's too early to say. But I don't think he is what we need in The Championship. We need more reliable and proven strikers in my view. If we can afford to have him on the bench then he gives us options (although for his height he is poor in the air) and obviously Gus sees something in him, but I'm not excited by this as a possible signing.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
No, but some are claiming he is close to EPL standard, and has a chance at West Brom's first team (they are in the Prem!)

It depends what you mean by EPL standard. Starting 11, nowhere near. Subs bench as a promising youngster who you can bring on as a sub when comfortable and develop to be a starting EPL player in a couple of years - quite possibly. And I assume that is what he is aiming for.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yet at the same time you sing Ashley Barnes praises, even though their records are fairly similar, and Wood is a year or so younger than Barnes. It seems ones great and a real prospect, and ones shit and not worth the effort.

Could it just be you look at everything through blue and white specs. If it was Barnes on loan, and Wood under contract, now doubt you'd be saying Barnes aint worth it, and Wood is a real prospect.:facepalm:

Don't twist the conversation to Barnes (again) so you can go off on one (again)... actually, as I stated on the Barnes thread, yes, I believe Barnes is a far better player than Wood... his positional sense is light years ahead of Wood... he is also better technically (with his feet)... also, he is far more mobile... oh, and I'm not apologising for seeing things through BHAFC-tinted glasses either...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

Is it because:

I'm going for (b)...
No chance there may have been a c, d or e then. Only two choices. That must suggest A] You know the exact reason why, or B] you're a complete knob. And I don't think we need a c,d, or e on this one. I'm going for b:nono:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Let's put things into perspective here.

Torbjorn Agdestein, who is 3 months older than Chris Wood, has never played a single league game at any level in the English leagues, has only played in the Norwegian second tier and is capped at U19 level. Many people believe he should be pushing for a place in our squad next year.

Chris Wood has played against the best players in the World during his 16 caps at international level, regularly trains with Premier League players and coaches, has played a part in 3 PL games, 25 in the Championship and is reportedly extremely highly rated by numerous scouts and coaches.

It's also obvious which one is more rated by Gus, just look at which one made more appearances for us last year. Not a bad youth player to have as backup in my opinion.

this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here