Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wood wanted at the Amex...

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
ummm HE IS 19.

It takes one promotion and suddenly everyone loses sight of a quality youngster. He had a massive contribution us walking the league and would be a welcome addition.

'Woeful'? 'WOEFUL'?

Unbelievable.

THIS. Unbelievable how people on here write him off so easily. He is 19, has played in a world cup and looked comfortable in League One, suggesting that as he gets older and progresses he will play at a much higher level. If we signed him on a permanent it would be a massive capture.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, what an idiot! At his age! 19! Believing in himself!

What he wants to do is just settle for second best and stick to the lower leagues. It's almost as if he'd played at the World Cup or something!

Played at the World Cup for NZ... not fcuking Brazil... he is self-deluded... confidence is one thing, but he just needs to take a look at his performances and realise he is nowhere near West Brom's first team... sorry, but that is just my opinion and, it seems, that of a few others...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
THIS. Unbelievable how people on here write him off so easily. He is 19, has played in a world cup and looked comfortable in League One, suggesting that as he gets older and progresses he will play at a much higher level. If we signed him on a permanent it would be a massive capture.

Absolutely.

First choice striker? No. Back up? Yes. Wouldnt mind as only going to get better.

Started off slowly, then had a real purple patch around Jan/Feb then went off the boil a couple of games up to the international call up and when he came back around March - April.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
AI find it astounding that he is so self-deluded that he thinks he is good enough for the Prem... he was barely good enough for league 1, IMHO... limited heading ability, slow, missed more chances than he took...

And that has to be one of the stupidest posts I've ever read on here, and that really is saying something.

Should he just give up and not bother trying to get in the side? He is 19 for f*** sake.

Astoundingly stupid post.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Played at the World Cup for NZ... not fcuking Brazil... he is self-deluded... confidence is one thing, but he just needs to take a look at his performances and realise he is nowhere near West Brom's first team... sorry, but that is just my opinion and, it seems, that of a few others...

Yes, because on an interview he is going to say, "Well to be honest mate, my aspirations for this season are not that high really. Frankly, i'm WOEFUL and i'm definitely not good enough to break into the team where i'm currently being paid. I've realised i'm way out of my depth and at 19 I really don't have many years left in me so I really should call it a day"

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Well, we'll see, but I would not want to risk our next season with him as one of our 2 strikers... that would be a HUGE gamble... he was, at best, OK in league 1... is he really up to the Championship? Answer = No... could he be? Maybe, but far too much of a risk for a newly-promoted L1 club, IMHO...

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
I thought he was good, but not as good as Barnesy last season. Saying that he will only get better along with Barnes and I wouldn't say no to getting him on loan again if he isn't in WBA's plans next season

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Absolutely.

First choice striker? No. Back up? Yes. Wouldnt mind as only going to get better.

Started off slowly, then had a real purple patch around Jan/Feb then went off the boil a couple of games up to the international call up and when he came back around March - April.

This. Not a signing to get the excitement levels up, but a useful squad member. Wood isn't a bad player just not a great one yet. If he did comeback i'd imagine it would be as a second string forward, don't have a problem with that.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Well, we'll see, but I would not want to risk our next season with him as one of our 2 strikers... that would be a HUGE gamble... he was, at best, OK in league 1... is he really up to the Championship? Answer = No... could he be? Maybe, but far too much of a risk for a newly-promoted L1 club, IMHO...

I don't think anyone's suggested that he should be one of our starting two strikers, but he has easily enough ability to be backup. Give him a year or two with the right training and I expect he'll be a starter in the Championship, and eventually he could quite possibly be a solid Premier League striker.

If we are the team to develop him to that standard, we either get a top Championship/lower PL striker in our squad in a couple of years, or we have a player to sell for lots of money.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And that has to be one of the stupidest posts I've ever read on here, and that really is saying something.

Should he just give up and not bother trying to get in the side? He is 19 for f*** sake.

Astoundingly stupid post.

Well, it is my opinion, and I'm sticking with it... this is what I saw... if you think my post is one of the most stupid, I suggest you re-read NSC on any day... the fact is, he is currently an adequate L1 striker... that is it... no more... he may develop, and he may not... from what I've seen, he has a very, very long way to go... West Brom's reserves are welcome to him...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'd be more excited at taking him permanently than on loan. He's got, in my opinion, a pretty big future ahead of him & will end up playing regular Premier League football one way or another.

Chris Wood will NEVER be a regular in the Premiership.

He was pretty much toilet.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, because on an interview he is going to say, "Well to be honest mate, my aspirations for this season are not that high really. Frankly, i'm WOEFUL and i'm definitely not good enough to break into the team where i'm currently being paid. I've realised i'm way out of my depth and at 19 I really don't have many years left in me so I really should call it a day"

No, but he really isn't good enough for West Brom's first team, IMHO... he can say and think what he likes, but that is how I see it... this is my opinion, you are entitled to yours... I think some of the comments on here about being excited about the possibility of him signing show a poor understanding of the position of our club and its requirements for next season in the striking department... again, that's my opinion...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Well, it is my opinion, and I'm sticking with it... this is what I saw... if you think my post is one of the most stupid, I suggest you re-read NSC on any day... the fact is, he is currently an adequate L1 striker... that is it... no more... he may develop, and he may not... from what I've seen, he has a very, very long way to go... West Brom's reserves are welcome to him...

I'm not debating whether he is or isn't good enough. The stupid part is you saying that you cant believe how deluded he is to think he can play in the league where his current club are already playing. What's he supposed to do? Contact a load of League 2 clubs and say "Hi, I'm only 19, I personally don't believe I am good enough for the Premier League (even though my Manager and the club who are paying my wages do) do you have any spaces in your team or should I maybe look a little lower or just give up altogether?

Maybe El-Abd should have done this a couple of seasons ago?

He's 19!!! And he play for a Premier League club!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I thought he started a bit slow but after a while he improved and looked a great prospect for his age,then for some reason he faded badly in the last couple of months.Definitely showed potential.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I like him.

All our strikers miss more than they score, in fact ALL strikers do!

Lost form badly after his return from China, but id definitely take him on again.

I believe that a lot of his detractors would be much more patient if he had come through our youth setup and was a self-confessed Brighton boy.

Roll out the barrel...

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Definately do not want him. Of what i saw last year he was nothing special and defo not good enough for championship.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
His record on loan at Barnsley in the Championship was rubbish. Yes, he scored for us. But then, we were top of the league and creating a shed load of chances every game.

I would be MIFFED if we signed him. Even on a free.

Not malicious or anything. Thanks for your help and best of luck in your future and all that. But, as a club, we have to be aiming higher than Chris Wood.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think anyone's suggested that he should be one of our starting two strikers, but he has easily enough ability to be backup. Give him a year or two with the right training and I expect he'll be a starter in the Championship, and eventually he could quite possibly be a solid Premier League striker.

If we are the team to develop him to that standard, we either get a top Championship/lower PL striker in our squad in a couple of years, or we have a player to sell for lots of money.

Alternatively, he fails to develop, and we end up with a player who is worth nothing... I would like to think we have two far better players than the deluded Wood still to be signed... maybe I'm being over-optimistic, but Barnes and maybe even Hoskins could be our backup strikers, both of which are better players than Wood, IMHO...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
ahh the old he's just a kid arguement . I remember this one well. Seems this is another of those NSC moments . Usuals coming on refusing to say a negative and how will get better etc.

Back up maybe , first choice - no

Players develop of course but physically he is there already. Certain things can't be taught and come natural . . . even at 19

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
He's a big lad, but at 19 yo is not as strong as he will be in 2 yrs time. If he learns how to use his physical attributes he should be a formidable striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here