Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Woman cleared of dog attack killing

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
She was responsible for the child's welfare. She had 10 joints and necked two bottles of wine, then decided to invite a known to be dangerous dog in to play.

I can't imagine why anybody ever thought she had a case to answer.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You do wonder at times, so I take it this poor child's death was an Act of God ? Damn it's enough to make me a believer !

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
they found her 'not criminally negligent'

wtf? so smoking 10 joints is not a crime and letting in a dangerous dog to play with a small child on thier own is not negligent ffs

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I really dont understand how she got let off, leading to the death of her grandaughter by her negligence must be criminal negligence!!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...n-not-guilty-of-manslaughter-100252-19770172/

Ellie Lawrenson's gran not guilty of manslaughter
Sep 11 2007 by Sarah Chapman, Liverpool Echo

THE grandmother of dog attack victim Ellie Lawrenson was acquitted of manslaughter today.

The jury of seven men and five women at Liverpool crown court found Jacqueline Lawrenson, 45, not guilty after a six-day trial.

Five-year-old Ellie was killed by her uncle Kiel Simpson’s pit bull terrier Reuben on New Year’s Eve after Ms Simpson, who had smoked 10 cannabis joints and drunk two bottles of wine, let it in.

Ellie, who was killed at the house in Knowles House Avenue, St Helens, had 72 injuries.

Ms Simpson wiped away tears as the foreman of the jury announced the verdict after almost six hours of deliberation.

The judge, Mr Justice Royce, discharged Ms Simpson from the dock and told the court: “This is an unusual case which had given rise to very strong emotions.

“Suffice to say, the greatest sentence that has been passed in this case is a life sentence of regret that this lady has passed on herself.”

Ellie’s father, Darren Lawrenson, 31, put his hands to his face and walked from the court as the verdict was passed.

The prosecution has announced that a further charge of possession of a small amount of heroin which Ms Simpson had pleaded not guilty to at an earlier hearing will not be proceeded with.

Afterwards Colin Davies, assistant district crown prosecutor for Merseyside, said: “The CPS brought this prosecution on the basis that Jacqueline Simpson owed a duty of care towards her granddaughter Ellie.

“We said that she breached that duty of care by letting the dog into her house, knowing that it was potentially dangerous and capable of killing a child.

“Furthermore, we said that her breach of that duty of care was such that a jury would consider it to be so gross that it amounted to a crime.

“There is no doubt – and it was accepted by the defence – that Jacqueline Simpson owed a duty of care towards her granddaughter.

“However, the jury by its verdict have accepted that, if there was a breach of her duty of care it was not such that it amounted to a crime.

“This prosecution cannot, of course, bring Ellie back, but when anyone is killed following an attack by a dog and where there is evidence of a criminal offence, the police will investigate and the CPS will prosecute.”

Assistant chief constable Helen King said: “ This was an extremely tragic incident which shocked people across the country. I would reassure our local communities that Merseyside police is continuing with its work to tackle the issue of dangerous dogs.

“We cannot allow Ellie Lawrenson to have died in vain. I would ask our communities to support the work we are doing to help prevent a child ever being killed or even harmed in this way again.”

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
An absolute disgrace that she has been let off. It ridicultes the Labour (alleged) policy of zero tolerance towards crime. It was clear that the dog was a known threat and she chose to ignore that. Her direct actions led to the death of her Granddaughter.

The biggest favour the judge could do is order the sterilisation of this sort of scum. A dope smoking, binge drinking granny and pikey 'parents' with an illegal dog are not destined to boost the IQs in the gene pool.

The poor little girl never stood a chance. :nono:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
An absolute disgrace that she has been let off. It ridicultes the Labour (alleged) policy of zero tolerance towards crime. It was clear that the dog was a known threat and she chose to ignore that. Her direct actions led to the death of her Granddaughter.

The biggest favour the judge could do is order the sterilisation of this sort of scum. A dope smoking, binge drinking granny and pikey 'parents' with an illegal dog are not destined to boost the IQs in the gene pool.

The poor little girl never stood a chance. :nono:

I agree with pretty much everything you say here BoF, but why the cheap shot at Labour? What has government policy got to do with anything? A hard line approach to sentencing is within their power to influence - the way a jury votes is not. That's the 'beauty' of the jury system, like it or not.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I agree with pretty much everything you say here BoF, but why the cheap shot at Labour? What has government policy got to do with anything? A hard line approach to sentencing is within their power to influence - the way a jury votes is not. That's the 'beauty' of the jury system, like it or not.

Sorry, I was cutting and pasting my answer about and I seem to have moved it and written over the part about the father. It was meant to run along the lines of how he only got 10 weeks for having an illegal animal, that ultimately cost the life of his daughter. There have been a large amount of these attacks and they will continue if there is not a hardline policy.

Ten weeks is effectively five weeks and I don't think that is much of a detterent to those who have an illegal dog.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

I agree. 12 people agree on the evidence put in front of them despite our opinions.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry, I was cutting and pasting my answer about and I seem to have moved it and written over the part about the father. It was meant to run along the lines of how he only got 10 weeks for having an illegal animal, that ultimately cost the life of his daughter. There have been a large amount of these attacks and they will continue if there is not a hardline policy.

Ten weeks is effectively five weeks and I don't think that is much of a detterent to those who have an illegal dog.

Fair enough. It was the uncle actually, and he got 8 weeks, but I agree with your sentiment.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
A scouse jury will not find another scouser guilty, FACTAMUNDO

What he said.

Also -- to be guilty of manslaughter gross negligence, you have to not just be negligent, you have to be GROSSLY negligent. This is actually a really hard thing to prove in court.

And Jacquie Simpson wasn't up on a charge of failing to control a dangerous dog -- because she didn't own the dog.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here