Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves stadium plans

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
article-0-09C95167000005DC-410_468x331.jpg

article-0-09C9516F000005DC-929_468x331.jpg

They're rebuilding 3 sides and leaving the Billy Wright stand as it is. So its not going to be totally enclosed, but will boost capacity to 36k and then a possible 50k "if required".

S'alright I suppose.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
They all appear to be standing up. Don't they have stewards? :nono:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Looks fine to me, have always thought that the size of their stadium was holding Wolves back somewhat, looks like they may be about to change that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've got a mate who is a Wolves found, forever banging on about them being sleeping giants.

He's gonna be unbearable if that ever gets built. :(

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I've got a mate who is a Wolves found, forever banging on about them being sleeping giants.

He's gonna be unbearable if that ever gets built. :(

Surely that giant isn't sleeping now.

They are now in the premiership, if they're lucky they might flirt with a Europa Cup place, but that's it.

Not bad for them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd have thought they might as well go the whole hog and redevelop the Billy Wright stand as well. Looks a bit odd otherwise dunnit.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Surely that giant isn't sleeping now.

They are now in the premiership, if they're lucky they might flirt with a Europa Cup place, but that's it.

Not bad for them.

The same can be said for almost every club bar the "top 4", Man City and Spurs now unfortunately...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
How much bigger will the capacity be? Do they really need it? Otherwise this could all go a bit Bradford City.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Fair point Notters, that would be an easy and relatively cheap solution, but I am guessing the rebuild would allow them to have a stadium suitable for future expansion. It has been mentioned that Falmer, although having a capacity of 23k, could be increased in size if required because the steelwork is already in place to cope with this.

This does throw up another question of the link between ambition and stadium size, whether a team should just go big in the hope of filling it and ending up with a white elephant like Darlington or maybe going half way like MK Dons. I would think that any team that really wants to compete at the highest level, to generate and sustain income, needs a minimum of 40k...although I accept that for the bigger clubs the percentage of income earnt from fans coming through the gate isn't that high, they make more from TV, corporate and sponsorship revenue.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Fair point Notters, that would be an easy and relatively cheap solution, but I am guessing the rebuild would allow them to have a stadium suitable for future expansion. It has been mentioned that Falmer, although having a capacity of 23k, could be increased in size if required because the steelwork is already in place to cope with this.

You're probably right. I expect it will have considerably better facilities too, it's a shame in a way though as I quite like it the way it is. though this is partly because their fans actually make some noise unlike most places you go these days.

It's only 6,500 more than current. You'd think they could get most of this just by filling the corners in.

From reading the information on the club website, it seems they are expanding the corporate facilities to enable them to earn more when the football isn't on.

Wolverhampton Wanderers | News | Latest News | Latest News | Wolves Unveil Molineux Redevelopment Plans

Wolverhampton Wanderers | News | Gallery | Gallery | Molineux Stadium Redevelopment - Picture Gallery

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
As shown in the pictures, having been to Molineux twice; I've stood for 90 minutes, both near the front, without being bothered once. Lets hope it stays that way.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It's only 6,500 more than current. You'd think they could get most of this just by filling the corners in.

Thery can't fill the corners in, because of the 'goalpost design of the two ends - Any plan to fill in the corners would need both ends to be torn down, which is what it looks like is happening.

6,500 is a dissapointingly small increase, however due to poor design, molineux's capacity isn't what it says on the tin. They have 28,525 seats, but they have to close off various number of seats depending on where they put the away fans.

Locals will not like any changes to the 'South Bank', but I think for the long term future of the club, this is needed. It is worth nting that the first stage is already happening - there is currently a hole in the ground where the pitch used to be - new underpitch heating is being fitted and a part-synthetic pitch a la the Emirates is also being done.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Thery can't fill the corners in, because of the 'goalpost design of the two ends - Any plan to fill in the corners would need both ends to be torn down, which is what it looks like is happening.

6,500 is a dissapointingly small increase, however due to poor design, molineux's capacity isn't what it says on the tin. They have 28,525 seats, but they have to close off various number of seats depending on where they put the away fans.

Locals will not like any changes to the 'South Bank', but I think for the long term future of the club, this is needed. It is worth nting that the first stage is already happening - there is currently a hole in the ground where the pitch used to be - new underpitch heating is being fitted and a part-synthetic pitch a la the Emirates is also being done.

Only the north stand has the goalpost design the other is straight forward cantilever roof.

Its also being done as the stands are currently a long way from the pitch, a fact that most Wolves fans complain about. The new design is bringing them closer to the action.

Its a shame the symmetry of Molineux will be lost but I guess the more bums on seats they can get the better for them.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
"Corporate facilities"? In Wolverhampton? Interesting. Wonder exactly how many pork-scratching manufacturers can have that kind of spare cash knocking around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here